are all brake cables the same?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I usually just run standard Shimano cables (inners and outers), with a bit of cablemagic lube, but are there any other options that are better?

Are Gore worth the extra cash?

What do you run?

corky

by corky

Gore are no longer in the cables game, so if you like 'em..... buy any you can find. Don't really like the teflon covered cables myself as this usually wears, frays and clogs.

Personally I don't use lube in any cable as eventually grime will just be excaberbated by it.

I like bog standard Campagnolo as that seems fit and forget with my Campag drivetrain.

Just my Opinion

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Shimano cables are great. I don't recommend anything else unless you insist on a firmer brake feel with one of the compressionless varieties out there.
cablemagic is good. I go with SP41 grease myself. I don't buy the "lube will attract dirt" thing.
A- you could say the same about chains
B- where is this dirt going to come from? Won't it come from there without the grease?
C- grease is a decent seal.
D- almost all shift housing is pre-greased. Are these "no lube" people degreasing their shift housing before using it?
E- I'd bet grease w a bit of dirt in it is still smoother for a cable than no lube, and much smoother than dirt w no grease.
--rant over--

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I also use fit and forget campag cable for my campag bikes. For my trek and Spectrum I use Transfil cables. Cheap and they so far have been fit and forget.

gummee

by gummee

I'm a fan of the QBP 'slick cables.' Milled outers = slide better in the housing.

So, no. All brake cable are NOT the same.

M

corky

by corky

thisisatest wrote:Shimano cables are great. I don't recommend anything else unless you insist on a firmer brake feel with one of the compressionless varieties out there.
cablemagic is good. I go with SP41 grease myself. I don't buy the "lube will attract dirt" thing.
A- you could say the same about chains
B- where is this dirt going to come from? Won't it come from there without the grease?
C- grease is a decent seal.
D- almost all shift housing is pre-greased. Are these "no lube" people degreasing their shift housing before using it?
E- I'd bet grease w a bit of dirt in it is still smoother for a cable than no lube, and much smoother than dirt w no grease.
--rant over--

chains are different..... you can easily clean a chain ( I do once a week ) cables..... not so much.

teflon cables wear off creating dirt, every time you pull on a cable, be it brake or gear there is a small amount of cable exposed to the elements that gets covered in crap and pulled into the housing.... this is minimalised by sealed cables but not completely. Itmdepends on the climate and conditions the bike is ridden in.

It's just a point of view... no need to take it seriously.... No Rant Here

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Corky,
My ranting is not directed at you, it's just a pet peeve of mine. And I have been known to take things a bit too seriously. My apologies. But my point stands!! :wink:

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I like the sound of 'compressionless' - are we talking nokon here, or are there others too?

I figure if I'm changing the cables then I may as well try to get the best braking I can, even if it's only a slight improvement.

BobDopolina
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by BobDopolina

There are differences. I'm a Campagnolo user and I favour their cables and housings when using their groups but there are differences between the cables themselves.

Most cables are 16 strands. We've been looking at a 31 strand cable that is the same overall dia but shows less elongation during use.

Another consideration is the treatments available. There isn't a ton of information out there but we've seen a considerable difference in terms of corrosion resistance across brands.

Housings are a little easier to differentiate. Shift housings that are stiffer usually contribute to crisper shifting while housings and ferrels that compress under load feel mushy and often force you to execute a Campy over shift.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.
https://www.bdopcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Gore cables were junk for me. The coating wore off inside and was causing my FD to not drop to the small ring. This was only after about 3-4 months of once or twice a week riding. Not heavy use.

Basic Shimano is better. I'm using Yokozuna reaction cables now and they have been excellent. They do have a strong braking feel to them due to the housings.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I'm on about brake cables, not gear :wink:

I think I'll have a go with the Jagwire Ripcord - looks suitable and much cheaper than Gore.

corky

by corky

thisisatest wrote:Corky,
My ranting is not directed at you, it's just a pet peeve of mine. And I have been known to take things a bit too seriously. My apologies. But my point stands!! :wink:

and i have been accused on occaision of having thin skin.....

refthimos

by refthimos

NWSAlpine wrote:Gore cables were junk for me. The coating wore off inside and was causing my FD to not drop to the small ring. This was only after about 3-4 months of once or twice a week riding. Not heavy use.

Basic Shimano is better. I'm using Yokozuna reaction cables now and they have been excellent. They do have a strong braking feel to them due to the housings.

Agree. Run Yokozuna reaction cables on all my bikes and won't go back.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com