Cadd10 or Titanium (Aquilo)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xrider

by xrider

I'm in the dilemma whether to build a Cadd10 or a titanium frame, Van Nicholas Aquilo.
I already have carbon road bike, now i want to build another road bike for training on road and trainer.

Anyone here familiar with both frames? Please share you thoughts.
Thanks.
Attachments
aquilo.jpeg
CAAD10 001.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Doolop

by Doolop

If you already have a stiff carbon frame, why not go for a smooth more relaxed titanium bike?

The CAAD10 is not a particularly comfortable bike on 23c tires, where as a Ti frame might be more suited towards all day riding.

prebsy

by prebsy

Doolop wrote:If you already have a stiff carbon frame, why not go for a smooth more relaxed titanium bike?

The CAAD10 is not a particularly comfortable bike on 23c tires, where as a Ti frame might be more suited towards all day riding.

AGREED, No reason to get a CAAD10 if you already have a nice carbon bike. If buy a CAAD you will probably be underwhelmed in every way. Sure it is a nice bike, relatively light and stiff but it falls short compared to high end carbon frame and really loses in the comfort.
A Ti bike would be really nice to have for training, especially the longer days in the saddle.
-EP

elviento

by elviento

Since this is WW -- the Aquilo will be 300g-350g heavier. So if weight is a concern then the answer is obvious. The CAAD10 will have a slightly advantage in stiffness as well.

That said, the Aquilo is a very well built frame and IMHO no stable is complete without a ti rig. :D

Based on CAAD10's weight, it's hard to avoid butted sections with around 0.7-0.8mm of wall thickness (hopefully someone will have actual numbers). So the Aquilo's .9 wall thickness, but in titanium, is a lot more dent-resistent. And ti doesn't really fatigue and is more comfy.

Depending on your priorities, I feel this should be an easy decision.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

xrider

by xrider

That's great, thanks for the prompt reply guys.
That helps alot, i'm getting a better picture now. I'm leaning towards Ti simply because of comfort on longer ride.

zezipl

by zezipl

What about steel? Steel frames are said to be more comfortable than carbon and titan. Steel frames are also the most durable. You can get frame built ideal for Your measurements. And modern steel frames aren't as heavy as You probably think :wink: The most important thing: steel frame have soul.

You should consider it :)

xrider

by xrider

zezipl wrote:What about steel? Steel frames are said to be more comfortable than carbon and titan. Steel frames are also the most durable. You can get frame built ideal for Your measurements. And modern steel frames aren't as heavy as You probably think :wink: The most important thing: steel frame have soul.

You should consider it :)

Nice looking bike, i've had a steel bike before but that was more than 2 decades back, it was very heavy bike back then. I guess you're right, steel frame are much lighter now, but the thing is i sweat a lot and that's not good on steel frame.

ticou

by ticou

That's why we have Baby Wipes .Us Steelist's will try and divert you, I'd say it's worth an enquiry.

sawyer

by sawyer

I have a different view on this ...

Alu is different to carbon, and if you like the ride characteristics of alu then it isn't a waste of time having an alu steed in your stable alongside the plastic.

I had 3 carbon frames - all pro level in their day, when i bought my CAAD 10 frame.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pantani

by Pantani

[i]Ceteris paribus[/i], I wouldn't agree that steel is more comfortable than Ti - based on fairly extensive experience of frames in all materials although I haven't ridden any stainless tubeset bikes.

A good Ti bike welded properly will last pretty much indefinitely and will never need to be refinished.

If you have a decent carbon bike, I'd go Ti for training.
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.