New Steel Build - need help to keep the weight down

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OB2000

by OB2000

Hi,

I have just built a new steel frame which I'm about to build up and hope to get the weight down as much as possible, so I'm hoping for suggestions.

The frame is currently unpainted and bare and weighs 1900g, I have a set of uncut enve forks at 300g before cutting the steerer and a powertap pro 28 spoke wheel with a stans alpha 340 rim which I beleive is 990g. I haven't bought anything else yet.

I'm hoping to stick to alloy for seatpost, stem and bars instead of carbon.

When I estimate the weight with conti GP4000 tyres, full dura-ace 9000 and ritchey components I'm getting around 8kg. I would be very surprised to get to 6.8kg but would like to get close.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Elrey

by Elrey

The best advice i can give you. Read through half of the Intro threads. Look at components and start paying attention to the pics where people have weight them personaly. You are not the first, nor the last to ask, help me bring down the weight on my bike.

NGMN

by NGMN

I guess, just the usual recommendations:
1. all the little stuff adds up, so go light on (a)skewers(KCNC TI), (b)cables and housing like Aican or Alligator, (c)KMC SL chain, (d)light tubes within reason, (e)carbon bottle cages and (f)tune where you can with alloy bolts
2. lots of 180-220 gram brakes do a very good job in terms of strength and modulation and cost as much as Dura Ace. Far and Near come to mind
3. do you need a setback seatpost? do you want your stem, seatpost and bars to "match"?
4. whats your plan for the front wheel? Obviously, you can "match" the front with a Stans Rim and then use a lightweight hub and probably go with 24 spokes. Should make up for the weight added by the rear.

thisisnotaspoon

by thisisnotaspoon

My CAAD4 isn't a million miles off your frames weight (1700g rings a bell), 7.4kg with cheep cage and garmin sensor etc. So under 8kg with new bits should be easy. Especialy as there's nothing really exotic or expensive on that build, just the light without getting silly, and still soem old heavy bits like the saddle and bottle cage!

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=106624

I'd go for and enve post, collanr'n'cuff's and all that.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Elrey wrote:The best advice i can give you. Read through half of the Intro threads. Look at components and start paying attention to the pics where people have weight them personaly. You are not the first, nor the last to ask, help me bring down the weight on my bike.

This.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

OB2000

by OB2000

Thanks for the replies so far. Some interesting points.

Elrey - I'm keeping an eye on the forum, but there is so much info - just hoping for some general pointers here.

NGMN - 1: Noted, 2: Noted, 3: Not bothered about matching, I guess you are suggesting inline is lighter? 4: I was thinking the same thing, aiming for around 650g?

thisisnotaspoon: nice bike - and encouraging weight!

prendrefeu - you lost me!

NGMN

by NGMN

Not matching the bars, stem and post; and an inline seatpost will give you more options, to be lighter.

For stem and seatpost you can go light with alloy:
The KCNC seatpost is incredibly light, but no setback. If it works with your fit, its hard to get lighter for the money.
Lots of stem options around 100 grams for ~100mm length.

Bars are a little harder to find, check out the listings: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=71888

I think your front wheel can be lighter than 650 grams. Rim is ~360-370; hub should be 70ish; spokes(cx rays) and alloy nipples 120; so I'd say 550 grams is more realistic.

OB2000

by OB2000

How about painting? as far as I can see enamel lighter than powder coat?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Have you tried searching for that?

You would find this, which will answer your questions regarding weight of painting vs. powder coating:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=99123&hilit=powder+coat+anodizing
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.