Tires for Tour of Flanders 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

colnagoferrari

by colnagoferrari

Hi guys. Iam going to do the Tour of Flanders this year (240km) and I was wondering which tires you would suggest. Now I have Vittoria Open Corsa SC on my Campa Shamal's. Are these good tires to ride the Tour of Flanders? On my Cosmic SL's I have Contintenal GP Attack/Force. Which of these two tires are the best. I know the Continental GP attack/force are lighter and also the Force tire is 25mm. Would this be an advantage? Or anyone has other suggestions?I like the looks of Vittoria Open Corsa SC's more because I like the colour of tube tires. What do you guys think on my Shamals? Black tires or Tube-look tires? Or are there other good alternatives for the Vittoria Open Corsa SC tube-look. Are there other good tires with this look and good weight as well?

By the way my bike is a Colnago CX-1 2011 version with Campa Chorus 11. Which would be the best tires (durability and weight) and which would look best on my Colnago?

Thanks already for the suggestions!

chickenbourne

by chickenbourne

I'm riding the shorter 140km and will be on Vittoria Open Pave. Having visited Paris Roubaix last year and realising how bad the cobbles are I'd say go as wide and big as you can. A lot of pros seemed to be on 28mm tubs...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Vittoria Open Pave or Challenge Parigi Roubaix if you have the clearance for them.

chickenbourne

by chickenbourne

btompkins0112 wrote:Vittoria Open Pave or Challenge Parigi Roubaix if you have the clearance for them.

Sorry to thread jack but are those Challenges available in clinchers or just tubs?

sawyer

by sawyer

Shamal Ultras are a questionable choice for that event. Good as they are strong, and have good braking, but bad as the alu spokes give a harsh ride.

I'm doing Paris-Roubaix this year (amateur version) and will eschew the Shamal for Zondas, with some fat 28mm rubber.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

chickenbourne

by chickenbourne

Yeah I had heard that but my only set of all-round wheels so will have to suffice. Might consider some bigger rubber though!

colnagoferrari

by colnagoferrari

Thanks for the replies already! Last year I did the Tour of Flanders (140km) and I drove with the Vittoria Open Corsa SC as well and didn't have a puncture. I can only drive with the Shamals because I haven't got any other low profile wheels. Iam student (21 years old) so I haven't got the money to buy another set. But I not only want to use the tires for Flanders but for the rest of the season as well. Which of the two are better: Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SC or Continental GP attack/force. Are there more good quality/light tires with the tube-look?

Irish

by Irish

I have used 23mm Michelin Pro Race (not recommended), 25mm Michelin Pro Race 2 and found these adequate, if I was doing it again I'd use 28mm clinchers. My reasons for using clinchers is a tub puncture will ruin the day, clinchers tho more likely to pinch flat are easier to fix.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

sawyer wrote:Shamal Ultras are a questionable choice for that event. Good as they are strong, and have good braking, but bad as the alu spokes give a harsh ride.

I'm doing Paris-Roubaix this year (amateur version) and will eschew the Shamal for Zondas, with some fat 28mm rubber.

You really want to be on big fat tubs for that one.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

drchull

by drchull

Rode both Flanders and Roubaix on 25C Micheline Krylions on Hed belgium rims. Perfect around 85psi. Had to put on another rear wheel for one day because of hub issues, 23C just was almost unridable after my usual cushy ride. Flanders is a lot easier in regards to the cobbles than Roubaix.
I would put on the biggest tires your frame can take.

LouisN

by LouisN

chickenbourne wrote:
btompkins0112 wrote:Vittoria Open Pave or Challenge Parigi Roubaix if you have the clearance for them.

Sorry to thread jack but are those Challenges available in clinchers or just tubs?

Both, in 27 mm. The Vittorias are only available as 27mm in tubulars.

Louis :)

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

chickenbourne wrote:

Clinchers

I personally wouldn't even consider riding Flanders on Attack/Force.....and if you did they would be trashed afterwards. They are not in any way, shape or form durable enough to finish with any life left.

You could probably get it done with the Open Corsa's

rainerhq

by rainerhq

colnagoferrari wrote: Which would be the best tires (durability and weight) and which would look best on my Colnago?

I think that the look is more important than durability and weight :o :o :o
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

tabmaster

by tabmaster

If a picture paints a thousand words...
Got me through Roubaix, all 260km, in the wet, just fine!

Paul.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

colnagoferrari

by colnagoferrari

Thanks for the replies! I would like to do it on the Vittoria Open Pave's but because Iam a student I don't want to buy tires for 1 event. So I will probably do it on my Vittoria Open Corsa SC's. The only thing why Iam thinking of the Continental attack/force is because the rear is 25mm instead of 23mm for the rear with the Vittoria's. And I guess Flanders is a lot lighter for your bike then Paris-Roubaix. I did Flanders with the Vittoria's last year and it didn't feel uncomfortable at all.