Bontrager xxx 29er rear axle-is conversion to 142+ possible?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lixman

by Lixman

Hi, Is there any way of converting the standard quick release rear hub of the xxx MTb 29er wheel to a 142+ 12mm thru axle? Thanks. :noidea:

by Weenie

mtnbke

by mtnbke

Did you ever figure this out? Can the rear hub be converted to 142x12? Thanks!

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Don't Bontrager uses DT Swiss hubs? If so it's possible to get a conversion kit.

racer1

by racer1

The XXX 29er wheels did not use DT Swiss internals. I believe they were formula hubs for that generation. Trek tech documents list that it is not possible to convert those hubs with ready made parts. Its a shame that they d id not have conversion options for those wheels.

Lixman

by Lixman

Hi all, racer1 is right. i spoke to trek and the only option was to have a new shaft and end spacers machined up. i did do a drawimg for this but gave up and had the wheel built up with a new hub and spokes (hope pro 2 ) which was the same weight as the original hub. i was going to have a dt240 laced in but the wheel is 28 spokes so it makes it awkward to get disc hubs in 142. very happy with the wheelset now though and maybe could save more weight by ditching the standard tubeless rim strips and using stans tape.

Dilberto88

by Dilberto88

Cannot make a 135mm axle any wider, to 142x12mm. Time for a new rear hub/wheel...

by Weenie