Shimano BB9000 Bottom Bracket Tool(s)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Can someone please tell me if the Dura Ace SM-BB9000 bottom bracket requires a different pattern fitting tool? Shimano docs say use a TL-FC34 or adapter TL-FC24. I notice that Cyclus are bringing out a new tool for this type of BB. And what is the Shimano 'adapter' actually for. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The adapter fits into the "old" bb tool, to step it down to fit the new, smaller, bb. It comes with the new bb, so you won't have to buy a new tool.
cyclus and others are making tools that will directly fit this new bb.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I love that they are mucking with one of the most successful standards in the industry... for no real reason. Sram, Shimano, MTB, Road, FSA... Heck, even Campy use the same pattern on their UT cups. Hopefully it will go the way of the XTR M970 preload adjuster and crank extractor tool. Meh...

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Thought it was changed to reduce weight? We can't complain about that here!

Valbrona

by Valbrona

5 8 5 wrote:Thought it was changed to reduce weight? We can't complain about that here!

That's what Shimano claim - smaller bearings, 4 nanograms or whatever lighter. But we suspect that it is actually a pathetic attempt to subvert an existing standard that has found favour with consumers for purely commercial ends. Maybe us cyclists need more of a voice.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

But they include the adapter in the box. What's the problem with that?

jano

by jano

Valbrona wrote:
5 8 5 wrote:Thought it was changed to reduce weight? We can't complain about that here!

That's what Shimano claim - smaller bearings, 4 nanograms or whatever lighter. But we suspect that it is actually a pathetic attempt to subvert an existing standard that has found favour with consumers for purely commercial ends. Maybe us cyclists need more of a voice.

The BB 9000 is 68 grams only! Is that reason enough to make the cup's OD smaller? Yes! If you don't think so then you're on the wrong site.
And there are no commercial ends to it as they supply the adapter with the BB for FREE!

jano

by jano

5 8 5 wrote:But they include the adapter in the box. What's the problem with that?

Some people always need to complain about something.

DMF

by DMF

Also in theory less sealing drag with smaller bearings (less surface contact), and as the old standard held up well for downhill mountainbiking, they were likely a bit oversized for roadbikes... or so I'd reckon :)

Hubert

by Hubert

Valbrona wrote:

How has the existing standard been "subverted"? The new BB is compatible with all existing and future thread-in frames AND is backwards compatible with all existing 24mm Shimano road cranks. I don't see a grand plot to subvert the consumer anywhere in either of those two facts. Oh, and it's lighter and more durable to boot.
Turn down the suck knob.

JMT

by JMT

How much force does the adapter hold up for? I am thinking of installing this bb on one of my bikes since I need a new bb anyway and this gives almost free weightsavings. However the threading at the bottom of the frame is not perfect so installation tends to require some force. If the adapter is flimsy I may go for the old dura ace bb that I have a proper tool for.
Typically the biggest problem is getting the BB off again though, but by that time I suppose the TL-FC34 tool will be more widely available.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The adapter is very tough. it is likely a fiber reinforced plastic. It is a very, very snug fit in all the socket type bb tools I've tried it on. I don't think you'll have a problem using the adapter multiple times, up to the 50Nm max.

JMT

by JMT

Thanks for the info, I'll give the BB9000 a try then.

jjbam

by jjbam

Not only is it slightly lighter but supposedly it also has 50% less drag. Sounds like a win-win.

Valbrona

by Valbrona

If this new modified BB is so much better and so likely to revolutionize your riding with lighter weight and less drag ... why didn't Shimano Mega Corp with all its bike experts think of it first time around? The new BB is just different. They have made a part that is less durable on account of smaller bearings. That is 'swings and roundabouts' as we say in the UK.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com