Toe Overlap on a Venge

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Valbrona wrote:I wonder how many times Cav will topple off in between the team bus, signing on and the start line? Or how many places he will lose on the last bend concentrating on the alignment of his cranks instead of the race?

he wont. he'll probably be too busy winning races.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

artray

by artray

I think it's a toes issue ,toes issue ,toes issue ,,, bless you :lol:

wingguy

by wingguy

Valbrona wrote:Or how many places he will lose on the last bend concentrating on the alignment of his cranks instead of the race?

I'm going to go with none, because there's nothing to worry about :noidea:

paddyrider

by paddyrider

Valbrona wrote:I wonder how many times Cav will topple off in between the team bus, signing on and the start line? Or how many places he will lose on the last bend concentrating on the alignment of his cranks instead of the race?

Toe overlap is only an issue at very SLOW speeds and sharp turns, i. e. doing a U-turn......or testing a bike in the parking lot! I think Cav knows a little about bike handling and the speeds he rides at, toe overlap is well, "I've got no idea what the hell you are worried about"!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

elviento

by elviento

No science major here, but a quick calc gave me less than 4 meters of turning radius when toe touches the front wheel, which means a really slow and tight turn.

In a sprint finishes, the bike typically moves 20 meters per second.
Attachments
Overlap.JPG
Last edited by elviento on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

So what's new here? Small frames always have "overlap issues". If you don't like it ride 650c wheels?

Steve P

by Steve P

CBJ wrote:And somehow the little fella has been able to ride and even win a couple of races.

Haters gonna hate :D

Is that a Cavendish logo on the door sill, not a bad manfaturer to strike a car deal with

uncle-gee

by uncle-gee

Being after a no toe overlap for smaller frames in 700c, means too long of a reach (colnago?) or too slack of a head tube (under 71,5 degrees?) or an unusual fork rake (50mm +)

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

uncle-gee wrote:Being after a no toe overlap for smaller frames in 700c, means too long of a reach (colnago?)

But then you use a short stem.

uncle-gee

by uncle-gee

But then you use a short stem.

... and it looks like Mary Poppins

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

tcurtbike wrote:So what's new here? Small frames always have "overlap issues". If you don't like it ride 650c wheels?

Bike designers aren't that clever. And the market doesn't want to give us top notch 650c or 26" frames.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Never?

It is only a concern while toodling around at low speeds making sharp turns. And then, only if you forget.

Note that most manufacturers try to avoid this on small frames by kicking out the front end with slack head angles and lots of rake. Handling suffers as a result. But they probably avoid a few lawsuits from newbs claiming their bike is "defective".

On my wife's bike I made sure she didn't have overlap... because she doesn't have the skills to deal with it. My bikes seem to always have overlap.
formerly rruff...

uncle-gee

by uncle-gee

Note that most manufacturers try to avoid this on small frames by kicking out the front end with slack head angles and lots of rake.

Totally agree

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Because everyone rides their bike only at races 100% of the time. Get your head out of your asses, toe overlap is super annoying any time you have to stop at a traffic light. Ever catch the front wheel while track standing at a light? Not fun.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

Soooooooo you want a pro style bike - but without the pro geometry?

And if you are experiencing toe overlap while track standing, you are doing it wrong. The wheel should be facing the other way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com