HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 77  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bont shoes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:05 pm 

When buying Vapors, do you want them to be a little tight in the toe-box to begin? Or is space better?

Where should your toe come to, end before the plastic overlap, or underneath the plastic overlap?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:15 am 

Johnny Rad wrote:
Dials are "in" and Bont is jumping on the bandwagon. In my experience, the securement method (BOA-esque dials or velcro straps) aren't all that important on Bonts. Now bear with me on my non-technical description, but Bont's carbon "canoe" or "bathtub" fit around my feet renders the velcro straps only marginally important. The lower velcro strap across my toes provides little to no help (because the shoe is cradling my feet so nicely and securely) and the other strap only needs to do half a job (for the same reason). It's not like the shoes would immediately fly off my feet without them.

Do I want the new, new Vaypor? Hell, yeah.

Do Vaypors need a better securement method? Nah.

I recently did a ride on the trainer, when I was putting on my shoes I was interrupted and only ended up putting the tip of the ratchet in, not ratcheting it down tight... It took me like 5 minutes to realize! They fit very well and I would not be surprised if they could still be useful after a crash say, mid-race, where a ratchet breaks.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:15 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:35 pm 

I've mentioned it before but my Bonts fit so well that my foot doesn't move even if the strap isn't buckled. I actually prefer the look of the strap version over the boa. The boa ratchets look big and bulky and out of place. If they were thin it would be ok.

On a side note it looks like a lot of riders were wearing Bont shoes at the people's choice prologue.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:00 am 

where are people buying their bont's stateside?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:27 am 

I was able to snag a pair in the US on ebay. I was shocked there weren't many official dealers in my area (NYC), and so I was not able to try them on before making the purchase. Hopefully they fit. I paid $215 for Vaypors in 40.5 wide.

Post subject: Bont shoes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:36 am 

Can't adapt to them, going back to my giros. If anyone wants a pair of brand new pair 46 cheap let me know. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:37 am 

skinnyrider wrote:
When buying Vapors, do you want them to be a little tight in the toe-box to begin? Or is space better?

In my experience a little space was better (for my vaypors). I tried on a couple of sizes and found that if they were snug my toes would jam into the front part of the "carbon tub" sole. So, one size up = perfect!

That was my experience, but others may have a different experience.

Best of luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:06 am 

what's the diff between ctt and vaypor? or is ctt just a vaypor with cervelo on the strap?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:21 am 

the vaypor has a reduced carbon height around the toe box, a different suede liner, vents above the toe box, and is said to have a better build quality

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:07 pm 

carbon2329 wrote:
skinnyrider wrote:

In my experience a little space was better (for my vaypors). I tried on a couple of sizes and found that if they were snug my toes would jam into the front part of the "carbon tub" sole. So, one size up = perfect!

That was my experience, but others may have a different experience.

Best of luck.

Yeah, bont size chart said i was 45, near 46. But when trying 45 on they were tight, but not massively so in the toe box - hence wondering if you're meant to get them like this and then mould them out.

I went for the 46, which felt right size wise non moulded in the toe box, width wise. But were a little longer. But i don't find them as tight as some people do, not needing to ratchit up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:28 pm 

I've got a pair of A3s and a pair of A1s. The A1s are a little small 'cause I can't get the cleats back far enough. The A3s are a little big. Both are super comfy after molding em. Took a few tries.

So what?! When you first get your Bonts, they're probably the most uncomfortable shoes you've worn. Mold em right and you couldn't get me to sell em. I've ridden the A1s with the top buckle loose and my feet didn't move. Gotta love that.

I'm looking to pick up a pair of 42 Vaypors. Black is preferable, but white'll work too if anyone knows someone.

M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 am 

I've had the A1's for about 6 months now. I ride with Look pedals and cleats. Two things that are pretty annoying:
-That little toe bumper thing on the front of the shoe gets in the way when clipping it, so rather than just scraping from the front to the back of the bottom of the shoe to line up the cleats to clip in, I have to guess where the cleat starts and lower the shoe from above, making it a little more vague as to whether I'm lined up. I'm tempted to just take off the front toe bumper as it doesn't really seem to do much since when walking the cleat contacts the ground rather then the bumper anyway.
-The bottom of the shoe is too damn smooth and rounded. This makes it super annoying if you mis-clip or just need to pedal through an intersection without fully clipping in. Granted this makes no difference when you're actually riding, but at stop lights it can be a little sketchy to slip off the pedal in the middle of an intersection with traffic waiting to turn left in front of you.
Neither of these matter for races or long rides in the middle of nowhere, but getting out of the city gets old fast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08 am 

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT!!

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/b ... -in-36252/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:58 am 

I was considering Sidi Wires but these are cheaper & look great!

"I enjoy climbing...I enjoy seeing people disappear behind me." - Robert Millar

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:58 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:12 am 

kulivontot wrote:
I've had the A1's for about 6 months now. I ride with Look pedals and cleats. Two things that are pretty annoying:
-That little toe bumper thing on the front of the shoe gets in the way when clipping it, so rather than just scraping from the front to the back of the bottom of the shoe to line up the cleats to clip in, I have to guess where the cleat starts and lower the shoe from above, making it a little more vague as to whether I'm lined up. I'm tempted to just take off the front toe bumper as it doesn't really seem to do much since when walking the cleat contacts the ground rather then the bumper anyway.
-The bottom of the shoe is too damn smooth and rounded. This makes it super annoying if you mis-clip or just need to pedal through an intersection without fully clipping in. Granted this makes no difference when you're actually riding, but at stop lights it can be a little sketchy to slip off the pedal in the middle of an intersection with traffic waiting to turn left in front of you.
Neither of these matter for races or long rides in the middle of nowhere, but getting out of the city gets old fast.

I switched from Keos to speedplay because the toe piece. Very happy I switched now.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 77  Next