Yet another new Garmin mount....Tell me what you think.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

If any of you have been following my product development, you may have seen the earlier versions of a carbon fiber Garmin mount. Those earlier versions were never acceptable....I did not like how they looked.
But I'm happy to report that I have a new, vastly improved design that I've just completed the first prototype of...and I want your opinions.
It has several features that you might find interesting... The units two clamps can be positioned anywhere on your handlebar, even right next to the stem since the carbon is quite flexible in the horizontal plane. But because of the orientation of the carbon, the mount is immensely rigid in the vertical plane. So your Garmin 200, 500, 510, 800, or 810 computer will be very solid. This horizontal compliance also adds a bit of security since, if your bike should fall over, the mount will flex rather than break or bend. And the flexibility will soften the blow your Garmin computer might endure. I won't ramble on too much here. Just take a look at the pictures and please ask questions, supply comments. Thank you

p.s. The finished unit weighs 17 grams and is ultra strong and resilient.

p.p.s. Please be aware that the pictured item is a prototype and is a bit rough. the finished items will be well refined.
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
Last edited by veloflyte on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

So have you ridden it?

It looks like it'd vibrate a lot on the X/Y plane. Do your eyes have to track it while it wanders between your bars? :P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

ricerocket wrote:So have you ridden it?

It looks like it'd vibrate a lot on the X/Y plane. Do your eyes have to track it while it wanders between your bars? :P

It has not been test ridden yet. I doubt that any horizontal movement will exist. But if there is too much, it is simple to increase the width of the carbon fiber thereby stiffening it.
There are a few people interested in testing the mount. We'll see what their experience is. I'll let you know...

by 113245

Curious how good it'll be with regards to slippage over bumps, too.

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

113245 wrote:Curious how good it'll be with regards to slippage over bumps, too.

I am guessing you mean slipping downward,. as in the clamp slipping on the bar. You're right...we'll see. But the clamping force of the carbon clamps onto the acrylic tube I have in the pictures is surprisingly high. In fact, I am considering downsizing the clamping bolts from a 3mm to a 2.5mm just to control the amount of torque a user can apply. I have no doubt that on any finish type on your handlebar...glossy, matte, etc....the Veloflyte mount will hold fast.

Lig

by Lig

Hi veloflyte,

It looks good. I have just bought a 'different' make and before fitting i put a very thin cutting of velox tub tape on the inside of the clamp and it works a treat, it will stop any slippage!!

Cheers,
Lig.

fastvegan

by fastvegan

Looks very cool, any idea of cost or a release date?

LVGH

by LVGH

Very good looking indeed. Seems to tick important boxes (imho) regarding vertical device position, symmetry, weight and space taken on the bars. However I suspect it will be expensive. :oops:

mec287

by mec287

Looks very good; could you slim down the width of the carbon strip as it gets further away from the bars so improve the aesthetic??
S-works 2012 in Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1spd

by 1spd

Looks like it will work fine as a universal mount if you will. I mean it looks like the 800 series will fit fine, but could be shorter for say the 500. I don't think I need one that sticks out that far forward for my 500. Love the idea though and carbon looks better on just about anything!

Is this an item that you are looking to develop to the point where they will be sold to the public or just a personal project? Just curious. I have a Bar Fly that I paid $35 for and its stock weight is 19g on my scale. After attacking it with a Dremel I got the weight down to 17g w/ the stock bolt. I may go at it a bit more now that I have given it a little more thought but I don't think it will shave too much more weight. I also need to order an aluminum or delrin screw for it which may shave another gram at best. I'm thinking the best I'll come in at is maybe 15g if I am lucky (probably more like 16-16.5g).

Don't get me wrong, I love carbon fiber. But if the price is over $40 and the weight isn't any less than say 15g then to me it only makes sense to just DIY a stock Bar Fly. Sorry just my .02.

As far as design, could you go with one clamp on the bar similar to the Bar Fly? Basically, that would shave the weight of the second clamp all together. Just bond the strip together after wrapping it around the mounting plate. You could then thin the strip out around the plate itself (aesthetics as mentioned above). I would think this would shave a good amount of weight. Not sure how well it would support the 800 series but may work quite well with the smaller 500 series. Perhaps this would be too close to the original Bar Fly design and break a couple copy right laws or something.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

1spd

by 1spd

So I played around with the Bar Fly mount a little more and got it down to 16 g with the stock bolt.

rsz_dsc_0963.jpg
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

Unfortunately, as a few of you have realized, the mount I was working on was going to be too expensive....at least in carbon fiber. I may try and create a similar design in metal. That way I can use much faster production methods. Producing carbon fiber components by hand is time consuming. I'll certainly keep you all informed on my progress however.

Thank you to all.

CLEAR

by CLEAR

any updates on this mount?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com