Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I've mentioned it before but my Bonts fit so well that my foot doesn't move even if the strap isn't buckled. I actually prefer the look of the strap version over the boa. The boa ratchets look big and bulky and out of place. If they were thin it would be ok.

On a side note it looks like a lot of riders were wearing Bont shoes at the people's choice prologue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

where are people buying their bont's stateside?

Shinobi

by Shinobi

I was able to snag a pair in the US on ebay. I was shocked there weren't many official dealers in my area (NYC), and so I was not able to try them on before making the purchase. Hopefully they fit. I paid $215 for Vaypors in 40.5 wide.

yongkun

by yongkun

Can't adapt to them, going back to my giros. If anyone wants a pair of brand new pair 46 cheap let me know. :(

carbon2329

by carbon2329

skinnyrider wrote:When buying Vapors, do you want them to be a little tight in the toe-box to begin? Or is space better?

In my experience a little space was better (for my vaypors). I tried on a couple of sizes and found that if they were snug my toes would jam into the front part of the "carbon tub" sole. So, one size up = perfect!

That was my experience, but others may have a different experience.

Best of luck.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

what's the diff between ctt and vaypor? or is ctt just a vaypor with cervelo on the strap?

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

the vaypor has a reduced carbon height around the toe box, a different suede liner, vents above the toe box, and is said to have a better build quality

skinnyrider

by skinnyrider

carbon2329 wrote:
skinnyrider wrote:When buying Vapors, do you want them to be a little tight in the toe-box to begin? Or is space better?

In my experience a little space was better (for my vaypors). I tried on a couple of sizes and found that if they were snug my toes would jam into the front part of the "carbon tub" sole. So, one size up = perfect!

That was my experience, but others may have a different experience.

Best of luck.

Yeah, bont size chart said i was 45, near 46. But when trying 45 on they were tight, but not massively so in the toe box - hence wondering if you're meant to get them like this and then mould them out.

I went for the 46, which felt right size wise non moulded in the toe box, width wise. But were a little longer. But i don't find them as tight as some people do, not needing to ratchit up.

gummee

by gummee

I've got a pair of A3s and a pair of A1s. The A1s are a little small 'cause I can't get the cleats back far enough. The A3s are a little big. Both are super comfy after molding em. Took a few tries.

So what?! When you first get your Bonts, they're probably the most uncomfortable shoes you've worn. Mold em right and you couldn't get me to sell em. I've ridden the A1s with the top buckle loose and my feet didn't move. Gotta love that.

I'm looking to pick up a pair of 42 Vaypors. Black is preferable, but white'll work too if anyone knows someone.

M

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I've had the A1's for about 6 months now. I ride with Look pedals and cleats. Two things that are pretty annoying:
-That little toe bumper thing on the front of the shoe gets in the way when clipping it, so rather than just scraping from the front to the back of the bottom of the shoe to line up the cleats to clip in, I have to guess where the cleat starts and lower the shoe from above, making it a little more vague as to whether I'm lined up. I'm tempted to just take off the front toe bumper as it doesn't really seem to do much since when walking the cleat contacts the ground rather then the bumper anyway.
-The bottom of the shoe is too damn smooth and rounded. This makes it super annoying if you mis-clip or just need to pedal through an intersection without fully clipping in. Granted this makes no difference when you're actually riding, but at stop lights it can be a little sketchy to slip off the pedal in the middle of an intersection with traffic waiting to turn left in front of you.
Neither of these matter for races or long rides in the middle of nowhere, but getting out of the city gets old fast.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I was considering Sidi Wires but these are cheaper & look great!

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

kulivontot wrote:I've had the A1's for about 6 months now. I ride with Look pedals and cleats. Two things that are pretty annoying:
-That little toe bumper thing on the front of the shoe gets in the way when clipping it, so rather than just scraping from the front to the back of the bottom of the shoe to line up the cleats to clip in, I have to guess where the cleat starts and lower the shoe from above, making it a little more vague as to whether I'm lined up. I'm tempted to just take off the front toe bumper as it doesn't really seem to do much since when walking the cleat contacts the ground rather then the bumper anyway.
-The bottom of the shoe is too damn smooth and rounded. This makes it super annoying if you mis-clip or just need to pedal through an intersection without fully clipping in. Granted this makes no difference when you're actually riding, but at stop lights it can be a little sketchy to slip off the pedal in the middle of an intersection with traffic waiting to turn left in front of you.
Neither of these matter for races or long rides in the middle of nowhere, but getting out of the city gets old fast.

I switched from Keos to speedplay because the toe piece. Very happy I switched now.

Andyst1

by Andyst1

I recently bought a pair of 42 Vaypors in white directly from Bont.. They feel really tight, especially around the toe piece. I have molded them but maybe need to do it again. I havent ridden in them yet due to the wet weather in the UK but my main problem is that I use Looks Keo blades and the cleat screws poke all the way through the sole. Is that right? It doesnt feel uncomfortable when I put them on but I can imagine it will when I put the power down into a long ride.

Any thoughts guys?
Last edited by Andyst1 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rideuphill

by Rideuphill

nathanong87 wrote:what's the diff between ctt and vaypor? or is ctt just a vaypor with cervelo on the strap?

hornedfrog wrote:the vaypor has a reduced carbon height around the toe box, a different suede liner, vents above the toe box, and is said to have a better build quality

Noticed the CTT models are selling for less then half price of the Vapors on line. Do you think the build quality between the CTT and Vapors are that drastic that they are going for less then half the cost of Vapors?

After reading all the positive comments towards the Bonts I was considering ordering a pair of the CTT but after reading hornedfrog comments I may reconsider.

Is there anyone riding the CTT that has any more info regarding the difference?

Thanks,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com