Failed Caad10 budget build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MagnusH

by MagnusH

We all know the n+1 rule for number of bikes. It seems there is a similar rule for the number of Caad's on WW, so here's mine:

I've had a Red Bull Carbon x-Lite with Di2 for two years that I have been very pleased with. However, the thought of replacement cost on a clipped RD combined with the wish of having two road bikes (so one is in working-order while wrenching on another) lead me to my n+1'th. I had some parts lying around and wanted to keep things budget friendly, but somehow convinced myself that Sram Exogram cranks and Time xpresso 12 pedals are necessities :roll:
With experience from my Beone cross bike I chose to get a 1x10 setup. Living in Copenhagen it's pretty much a non-issue (unless you wan't super tight gearing). With 48X(11-28) I get a top gear equivalent to 52/12 and a low gear equivalent to 39/23 so going 1X10 is not that much of a sacrifice. I wanted a 50t but the frame didn't clear (when mounted in the inner position).

Build list (component, model, weight in grams):
    Frameset Caad10 size 52 1814
    RD Sram Rival 185
    Brake Caliper PlanetX CNC 202
    Shiftlever Sram Force 160
    Brakelever Sram s900 124
    Gear cable 15
    Brake cable 26
    Housing Gore+Sram 84
    Housing caps ??
    Crankset Exogram (compact bb30) 356
    Chainguard (stil missing)
    Chainring o symetric 118
    Chainring bolts Stronglight 16
    Cassette Ultegra 11-28 238
    Chain DA 250
    Pedals Time Ti 154
    Saddle S works Toupe 117
    Bartape Specialized S wrap (planned)
    Stem Rose OSC 107
    Handlebar 3T Rotundo LTD 179
    Seatpost 3T Doric LTD 157
    bottombracket bb30 incl in frame 0
    Wheelset IRD/Tune/CX-Ray 1322
    QR Planet X 44
    Tires Force/Attack 390
    Tubes 160
    Air 30
    Cages tune 20
    Total 6268
It weighs in at 6.3 kg so I guess I included pretty much everything in the list :D

And a pic (sorry about the poor quality) as it looks at the moment:

It's still a work in progress. Definite changes are (besides the obvious of cutting fork, brake cables, and wrapping the bars):
Slam that stem cover
48t ct2 chainring and (bashguard style) chainguard (the o symetric rings is purely a placeholder)
'Rotor-style' chaincatcher
60mm carbon clincher wheels

With these changes I hope the bike will weigh in just below the 6.8 mark. Will post more/better pics when the build is in a more finalized state.

Possible future upgrades: Sram Red Cassette, Extralite expander plug, ti bolts, cablehousing, fibre-lyte chainring/guard and hell, why not a Berk combo (so much for budget :D ).
But before I get into those things I want the bike in working order to be sure about fit and gearing.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Why do you need a bashguard and chain drop protector if riding a 1x10 setup on road. you should have zero chance of dropping the chain unless you ride into an immovable object.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MagnusH

by MagnusH

On my cross bike with 1X10 the chain would drop once in a while, even on tarmac. There's nothing to hold the chain in place, so eventually it will drop (just ask David Millar about the 2003 TdF prologue).

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

Yeah, you need a chainguard on 1x10 when moving up and down on the cassette.
I only train on days that end with "y".

Eli

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

Looks like this will be a nice build once you finish it all up. I run single ring on all of my bikes. Works great.

How does the Osymetric Chainring work with the offset bolt hole in the exogram arm? Is that chainring designed specifically for the new exogram crank?
My Bike:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CWDK

by CWDK

Looks pretty neat, man :)

Dansk CAAD power, yir!

paradawt

by paradawt

Just don't like the wheels look.

But those chainrings are so nice...

Great build.
Berria Belador 7

MagnusH

by MagnusH

@skiandbikemch:
The o symetric ring is not specifically designed to work with the exogram crank. However it has very little material on the 'inner-side' of the bcd (I hope that makes sense), so it can be mounted in the outer position without filing the chainring. The o.symetric ring is ~2 mm wide , whereas the outer sram chainring is ~4 mm wide so you'll need spacers to mount things properly.

paradawt

by paradawt

MagnusH wrote:@skiandbikemch:
The o symetric ring is not specifically designed to work with the exogram crank. However it has very little material on the 'inner-side' of the bcd (I hope that makes sense), so it can be mounted in the outer position without filing the chainring. The o.symetric ring is ~2 mm wide , whereas the outer sram chainring is ~4 mm wide so you'll need spacers to mount things properly.

In that case nice job.
Berria Belador 7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MagnusH

by MagnusH

Actually, in the picture it's only mounted with four bolts, so it's more like an extremely sloppy job :oops:
But as I wrote the o.symetric ring will be replaced by a 48t stronglight ct2 (that will be mounted in the inner position, so back to fiddling with spacers).