Is Germany becoming an industry leader?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

prendrefeu wrote:
TimmS wrote:If it comes to industry leader in bikes I would say USA, with brands like Cannondale, Scott and Specialized.

Scott is a Swiss company, btw. They sell heavily in Germany as well.

konky wrote:It would be interesting to hear who sells the most quality mid market bikes.

Merida, Giant. Worldwide, its not even close for 'mid-market' bikes.
Both are Taiwan based.

"Industry leader" for boutique tech?
Germany.

"Industry leader" for composite tech?
Germany.

"Industry leader" for marketing?
United States or Italy.

"Industry leader" for production?
Taiwan. China is closing in fast though.
That isn't a metaphor.

I'd love you to justify those. :D

If you're purely talking bikes then you can't really say 'composite tech' as they all simply 'borrow' what's already used then put a different name on it. As for production, imho Taiwan and China are both way behind the rest in terms of production technology, in fact many rely on western engineers to implement their systems. What the east is good for is mass production at cheap prices as their wages and cost of living in places such as China are very low. Once those wages catch up with the west, if they do, then compare production. I remember an interview with one of Taiwans biggest bike producers (can't remember the name of the engineer I'm afraid) and he said that Taiwan can no longer compete with China on price so they were aiming for quality instead. Welcome to the west :D

konky

by konky

stella-azzurra wrote:
kgt wrote:IME the finest riding machines are still italian.

This has no bias at all except for the fact you own a wilier and colnago right? :lol:

I can see this post becoming nationalistic and self-righteous. :oops: :lol:

kgt is Greek. And wouldn't you expect a fan of Italian bikes to own Italian bikes.

From what I can see in this thread Germany just keeps coming up.

stella-azzura I'm English by the way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Well put.

If you're purely talking bikes then you can't really say 'composite tech' as they all simply 'borrow' what's already used then put a different name on it. As for production, imho Taiwan and China are both way behind the rest in terms of production technology, in fact many rely on western engineers to implement their systems. What the east is good for is mass production at cheap prices as their wages and cost of living in places such as China are very low. Once those wages catch up with the west, if they do, then compare production. I remember an interview with one of Taiwans biggest bike producers (can't remember the name of the engineer I'm afraid) and he said that Taiwan can no longer compete with China on price so they were aiming for quality instead. Welcome to the west

IMO it's not a matter of if but when.
After that, with a little luck, we (the western world) are back to square one.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

spartan

by spartan

germany... really. maybe in automobiles

best training tech - USA - strava/trainerroad.com/garmin/quarq

best aero tt/road - CANADA - Cervelo

best wheels - USA - HED/ZIPP/ENVE/BONTRAGER/REYNOLDS

best frames- close but give it to the USA boutique brands - parlee/crumpton/vanilla/vamoots/litespeed/lynskey. the euros are not even close..

best steel tubing - USA - KVA stainless steel

best carbon - JAPAN

best saddles/shoes - ITALY

Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

DJT21

by DJT21

spartan wrote:germany... really. maybe in automobiles

best training tech - USA - strava/trainerroad.com/garmin/quarq

best aero tt/road - CANADA - Cervelo

best wheels - USA - HED/ZIPP/ENVE/BONTRAGER/REYNOLDS

best frames- close but give it to the USA boutique brands - parlee/crumpton/vanilla/vamoots/litespeed/lynskey. the euros are not even close..

best steel tubing - USA - KVA stainless steel

best carbon - JAPAN

best saddles/shoes - ITALY

Let me guess, you're a dumb yank? :lol:

"best frame" followed by the brand "Litespeed"??!??!??!

I think you've all perhaps been sucked in by the marketing men. Making bikes doesnt require ground breaking feats of engineering.

There's no denying Canyon offer superb value for money though!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Oh, please, please, please don't say you are from the United States. We look bad enough already. Have you ever left this continent?

...But I'll counter:

spartan wrote:germany... really. maybe in automobiles

Automobile Engines? Yes. At the moment. For efficiency per volume and power output. With the exception of a Ferrari engine, German engines are found in most super cars, except for the Ariel Atom (but that's more of a kit car, and let's not go off topic.) For reliability? Japanese engines.

spartan wrote:best aero tt/road - CANADA - Cervelo

I'll counter with Canyon (Germany), Walser (Switzerland), BMC (Switzerland), and Kuota (Italy). Just for starters.

spartan wrote:best wheels - USA - HED/ZIPP/ENVE/BONTRAGER/REYNOLDS

I'll counter with Corima, Mavic, Xentis, CarbonSports. Damn great wheels.

spartan wrote:best frames- close but give it to the USA boutique brands - parlee/crumpton/vanilla/vamoots/litespeed/lynskey. the euros are not even close.

A2J, Spin, Sarto, Nordischer-Rahmenbau, Baum, Crisp, Enigma, Endorfin, Nicolai... I can keep going, but there's plenty of worthy competition in the very, very subjective boutique/custom market.

spartan wrote:best saddles/shoes - ITALY

The best running shoes I've ever owned from Japan. The best football/soccer shoes I've ever owned are made in Germany.
The best walking shoes I've ever owned are from a German brand, made in China. The best cycling shoes I've owned are a US brand, but yesterday tried on a certain Australian brand that had me swooning. The best saddle I've ever used is from Poland. The best dress shoes I own are from Italy.

The point? Expand your mind, son.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

konky wrote:
stella-azzurra wrote:
kgt wrote:IME the finest riding machines are still italian.

This has no bias at all except for the fact you own a wilier and colnago right? :lol:

I can see this post becoming nationalistic and self-righteous. :oops: :lol:

kgt is Greek. And wouldn't you expect a fan of Italian bikes to own Italian bikes.

From what I can see in this thread Germany just keeps coming up.

stella-azzura I'm English by the way.

It's more of a matter of justify your taste. It does not make what nationality you are.

If you purchase cannondale bikes and you like what you bought you will undoubtedly be biased toward an item you bought. It is natural to do that.

Everyone does this even me :mrgreen:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

spartan wrote:best training tech - USA - strava/trainerroad.com/garmin/quarq

what about Polar or SRM?

spartan wrote:best wheels - USA - HED/ZIPP/ENVE/BONTRAGER/REYNOLDS

ENVE....the aero design has been developed by an English man I believe

spartan wrote:best frames- close but give it to the USA boutique brands - parlee/crumpton/vanilla/vamoots/litespeed/lynskey. the euros are not even close..

mmmmm.....Litespeed and Lynskey are boutique are they? So what is boutique?

spartan wrote:best steel tubing - USA - KVA stainless steel

based on?

spartan wrote:best carbon - JAPAN

best carbon what...? Emissions may be? :wink:

@prendrefeu......German engines are found in many super cars.....and all the (lots of) others don't have German engines :wink:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Most. I did not state all. :wink:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

best carbon - JAPAN

As in I have no clue about what's available so I just say what I learned from a bike mag/rag or something?

I suppose you have TORAY in mind which is the acronym for Tokyo Raychem, once a division of Raychem, a US chemical giant.
So two peanauts for the US of A. Knowing your industrial history can be educational. :lol:

Anyway, threads like this are as stupid as talking about politics, almost..... :roll:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

fdegrove wrote:Anyway, threads like this are as stupid as talking about politics, almost..... :roll:

Agree...opinion are like arseholes...everyone has one...

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

I figured the best wheel would be between zipp, madfiber, lightweight, and enve. Can't really include mavic in there becuase of thier carbon spoke theory(use them in compression instead of tension)
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Moved to chat for obvious reasons.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

You guys are blabbing on about a bunch of irreleventsia.

Who has been the true industry leader in advancing cycling performance? It is shockingly obvious. Why the United States of course - home to Amgen, maker of EPO, which licensed the patent to synthetically produce it from Columbia University in the City of New York.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

I also believe that this is a stupid thread since a bike's technology is... well.. elementary. Anyone can make a hi-tec bike. It's not a car. It's not an airplane. Building a high quality bike is really, really easy.
stella-azzurra: I have two italian bikes for many reasons. Looks, ride quality, heritage... I have ridden many bikes through the last 20 years and I still find that the huge experience many Italian manufacturers have cannot be neglected.