The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
KLabs

by KLabs

Mackers wrote:
KLabs wrote:Hub: Novatec F482SB, with ABG freehub, 32H 4xDS 2xNDS ... this lacing should give almost equal DS/NDS spoke tension

I've seen this mentioned in this thread before, and it is absolutely not true.
Even if you could lace a 32h hub 4x, the nds tension would still be only 50%.

Hi Mackers, I checked a wheel that's laced 32H 4xDS 2xNDS, and the DS deflection tension was 62 and NDS was 57. DS was very tight. Not sure what hub was used but it was nothing special, and the rim was an eyeleted 20-22mm deep Alex rim (shallow rim). 14g SS spokes were used. I believe it was a 9 or 10 spd hub :-)

I am not sure what 62 equates to in kgf but it would be well over 100, probably more like 120 to 130 or higher.
Lets say DS spokes were 120kgf then the NDS spokes would be approx 110kgf ... that is quite even/close, about 90% DS :-)

Looking at the 4x lacing, the spokes pass initially over the spoke heads ( first cross), so I agree 4x on a 28H would depend on the flange dia and probably not a good idea, but possible. It would appear that a 4x lacing would be better done on a 36H hub, but can easily be done on a 32H hub and even a 28H hub (depending on hub and rim).

Comments welcome :-)

Mackers

by Mackers

Then I suggest you use that hub to build your wheel, the Novatec's still not going to give you much better than 50% nds tension (Spocalc says 52%)

I always thought lacing a spoke over a spoke head was a pretty dumb idea, but yes, it can be done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi Mackers, perhaps so or something similar ... it appears that rear wheel building is not straight forward.
I am only a beginner, but it would appear that flange offset, flange spacing, flange dia, spoke lacing, spoke type, spoke length, rim depth, and rim strength
I guess that is why I am asking questions. I could experiment myself but I do not have the money to do so, so I am asking lots of questions ... thank you for all the replies :-)

Do you have a link to Spocalc. There appears to be a few of them ...

PS: It would appear the the person I occasionally talk to has done a 4xDS 2xNDS lacing once or twice. He usually does as 2xDS 3xNDS, 2x 2x, or a 3x 2x, or less lacing depending on the hub, rim, and person weight.
For reasons of longevity, and repairableness after an incident, he does not like the 2:1 triplet or 16:8 lacings, as much :-)

kavitator

by kavitator

CX ray vs....

http://kavitec.blogspot.com/

some macro photo with 70$ Canon :mrgreen:

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Great post kavitator. :thumbup:

kavitator

by kavitator

Thx
We just need one real test to get real data what is difference between shapes - i think 1,5mm round spoke is more aero than flat 1x3mm - specialy in airflow from side

djay001

by djay001

kavitator wrote:Thx
We just need one real test to get real data what is difference between shapes - i think 1,5mm round spoke is more aero than flat 1x3mm - specialy in airflow from side

i was thinking the same thing, it could be interesting to see real test

Nice job for the picture

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Thats why the Laser is my favourite spoke. I like the CX-ray except for the cost. The laser does the job (almost) as well as other manufacturers bladed spokes.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Those U-shape chinese rims are very attractive, so I decided to build myself a pair of training wheels.
I´m 67kg (147lbs) and I live in very flat country.
Here´s my plan:
Front hub: Circus Monkey HRW, FTF 69mm
Spokes: 20 Sapim Laser, radial

Rear hub: Circus Monkey HRW, NDS 40mm; DS 19mm
Spokes: 28 Sapim Race, 2x both sides.

Are 28 spokes on rear to much? Will 24 be enough? Weight difference is only 22g.
Whole wheelset should be around 1532g.
All suggestions are welcome!
Attachments
circusmonkeyFH.jpg
circusmonkeyRH.jpg
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

eric

by eric

The rims should be pretty stiff and the hub has good bracing angles. So 24h should be fine. But if you have historically broken a lot of spokes, and these are training wheels, 28h isn't a bad idea. As you point out 22g more is quite small.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Go with as many spokes if you can for training wheels.

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

I need a badass wheel builder in SD who is not afraid of the farsports hoops-David
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I think you will have to define badass to find your builder. Most wheelbuilders are a little geeky as we build wheels. It a bit geeky but thats o.k.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

rainerhq -- thanks so much for posting the Circus Monkey diagrams; I've been thinking about a pair of them.

Are you running a Campy or Shimano freehub? I'm looking for the rear dimensions for Campy.

Looks like the flange to center dimensions are measured to the outside of the flange vs center of the flange. Do have the measurements to center of flange?

Thanks!

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

KLabs wrote:
Mackers wrote:
KLabs wrote:Hub: Novatec F482SB, with ABG freehub, 32H 4xDS 2xNDS ... this lacing should give almost equal DS/NDS spoke tension

I've seen this mentioned in this thread before, and it is absolutely not true.
Even if you could lace a 32h hub 4x, the nds tension would still be only 50%.

Hi Mackers, I checked a wheel that's laced 32H 4xDS 2xNDS, and the DS deflection tension was 62 and NDS was 57. DS was very tight. Not sure what hub was used but it was nothing special, and the rim was an eyeleted 20-22mm deep Alex rim (shallow rim). 14g SS spokes were used. I believe it was a 9 or 10 spd hub :-)

I am not sure what 62 equates to in kgf but it would be well over 100, probably more like 120 to 130 or higher.
Lets say DS spokes were 120kgf then the NDS spokes would be approx 110kgf ... that is quite even/close, about 90% DS :-)

Looking at the 4x lacing, the spokes pass initially over the spoke heads ( first cross), so I agree 4x on a 28H would depend on the flange dia and probably not a good idea, but possible. It would appear that a 4x lacing would be better done on a 36H hub, but can easily be done on a 32H hub and even a 28H hub (depending on hub and rim).

Comments welcome :-)

4x on a 28 hole wheel would seem to be too extreme. The optimal orientation is for the spoke to be exiting the flange perpendicular to an imaginary line crossing the center of the hub and the center of the specific spoke hole used.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com