Will Armstrong confess??

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Locked
User avatar
djconnel
Posts: 7926
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

by djconnel

The fat comment was because he was defending his prior denial of having called Betsy a "fat, crazy bitch". If any element of the quote is inaccurate, the full quote is inaccurate.

The UCI comment was very fine line: he donated because "they asked". So why did they ask?

User avatar
majklnajt
Posts: 3689
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Lenart, Slovenia EUROPE

by majklnajt

He said they asked because "they needed the money".

by Weenie


edesigner
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:02 pm

by edesigner


dynaserve
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:25 pm
Location: UK

by dynaserve

^Yes he did. Excellent interview.

User avatar
J-Nice
Posts: 1474
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:35 am

by J-Nice

To put a certain perspective on the doping issue, Michael Rasmussen utilized 5 blood transfusions, 100,000 I.U. of EPO, and cortisone and testosterone during the 2007 Tour, the one where he and Contador went mano-a-mano in the mountains until "The Chicken" was unceremoniously ousted.

That's a lot of doping.
Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

KB
Posts: 3868
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:32 pm
Location: HULLGARIA UK

by KB

djconnel wrote: The UCI comment was very fine line: he donated because "they asked". So why did they ask?

What it shows is how stupid the UCI are. Conflict of Interest immediately springs to mind. Talk about lack of joined up thinking!

User avatar
stella-azzurra
Posts: 5072
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:35 am
Location: New York

by stella-azzurra

J-Nice wrote:To put a certain perspective on the doping issue, Michael Rasmussen utilized 5 blood transfusions, 100,000 I.U. of EPO, and cortisone and testosterone during the 2007 Tour, the one where he and Contador went mano-a-mano in the mountains until "The Chicken" was unceremoniously ousted.

That's a lot of doping.


What is your point? Rasmussen needed a lot of blood to achieve those results?
How many bags did Contador need?
I like Jorgs's interview. Armstrong should have been more direct like this.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

User avatar
swinter
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:27 am
Location: Grosse Pointe, MI

by swinter

edesigner wrote:Boy Joerg really nailed it at 9:40 http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/news/fourco ... g_288p.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks for that link.

the best line was his take on the omerta in cycling: "No, it's not like the Mafia. The Mafia is a lot better."
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

sawyer
Posts: 4472
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:45 pm
Location: Natovi Landing

by sawyer

Is anyone on this forum still sticking up for this guy?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

User avatar
Rick
Posts: 2004
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:30 pm

by Rick

sawyer wrote:Is anyone on this forum still sticking up for this guy?

I guess I am.
"Guilty" or not, I see this as a witch hunt motivated by the hope of extracting money from Armstrong.
I am not defending cheating, but his cheating was no worse than most of the other top racers of his time. Lance just actually won races and made a lot of money. Hence the witch-hunt to "get him".
Some of the side issues that invariably get mentioned:
A young, successful athlete was "arrogant and narcissistic".....Boo frikken Hoo. When has that ever been a reason hate them ?!?!?
He "ruined peoples lives"....because he kicked people who were hostile to him off the team, etc ? Boo Hoo.
(Now if he really made death threats or anything, that is a felony and should be prosecuted like any felony. )

So my "defense" may be weak, but I just think the whole lance thing is blown totally out of proportion only because he was actually the most talented and succesful.

User avatar
stella-azzurra
Posts: 5072
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:35 am
Location: New York

by stella-azzurra

Well Armstrong is the classical bully in school who is insecure about himself and will beat up on the weak kids in the class.
When he grows up and gets a bit of money and power he refines his craft by getting other people to do it for him.
As far as talent goes Armstrong has talent and always will. Most of us will never have that talent to begin with no matter how hard we try. But at the pro level everyone is as talented as you and it then comes down to training, discipline and the mind. Armstrong has all three but to be successful and still be better than his talented cohorts he will resort to get that extra edge through any means.
Money, fame, winning, keeping your job drive all of this and everyone does something to improve their chances of keeping themselves employed.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

dereksmalls
Posts: 2008
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:20 pm
Location: New Zealand

by dereksmalls

So Bruyneel is planning another book. Why don't they just front up to WADA and USADA? Because they'd be f**cked basically. Much safer to put in writing that they can earn off, and leave out half the facts

HillRPete
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:08 am
Location: Pedal Square

by HillRPete

Rick wrote:"Guilty" or not, I see this as a witch hunt motivated by the hope of extracting money from Armstrong.

Only that USADA and those who might seek compensation are different entities.

Also, I find the notion that he lost USD75m the day his sponsors gave him the boot interesting. As if it'd been righteously his in the first place. All the money earned from his TdF fame is tainted. Not that I'd care personally though, big corporations are blowing dough on lots of shit.

User avatar
swinter
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:27 am
Location: Grosse Pointe, MI

by swinter

:thumbup: wassertreter
not only that, but the money people are hoping to "extract" is the very money that LA obtained by lying through his teeth. SCA and the London Times want back the money they shelled out on the basis of LA's testimony and other protestations that he had never doped; Floyd is seeking a share of the money that LA and Postal defrauded from the US government (under a law that's been on the books since the Civil War, BTW, in case anyone is interested in such things).
Last edited by swinter on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

User avatar
btompkins0112
Posts: 2693
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:04 am
Location: Mississippi

by btompkins0112

Tainted maybe; however, the money has been made by the sponsors, so them requesting/demanding it back is rather disingenuous after they reeped the monetary rewards from him already.

by Weenie


Locked