Boyd Carbon Wheels - Experience with these?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ctrl

by ctrl

Just like the topic says. I'm looking for someone that has had experience with these wheels and/or has known someone that had a pair. Someone that could vouch for them would be great!

http://www.boydcycling.com/clinchers.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rainbowstripes

by rainbowstripes

ctrl wrote:Just like the topic says. I'm looking for someone that has had experience with these wheels and/or has known someone that had a pair. Someone that could vouch for them would be great!

http://www.boydcycling.com/clinchers.html
es e

They are solid. I've won 5 races on his 85 clinchers this year. If you have any issues....Boyd will take care of you.

Kmrohan

by Kmrohan

My friend rides their 58mm tubular, build quality is good and they seem pretty durable.
Hubs look like an american classics and tubs mount up to them nicely.

false_Aesthetic

by false_Aesthetic

I posted a review of the 50mm tubulars on here somewhere.

A copy of that is here: http://machine-la.blogspot.com/2011/04/ ... ulars.html

Boyd has been excellent to work with. 38, 50, 58, and 88mm tubulars were purchased. Everyone that bought a set likes them a lot.

I've been able to take them out for a few additional fun rides since the initial review. My initial reactions are still valid. What has become even more apparent is the following:

1) Tubulars rock. Being able to run a lower pressure and not worry about pinching a tube on rough rough pavement is awesome.

2) These things are exceptionally fast downhill. I don't get freaked out too often but on a local descent (one I'm quite familiar with) the Boyds spun up faster than what I'm used to and brought back that "WHOA!" feeling--something I haven't felt since the first time I broke 55mph.

Really, I have no hesitation recommending these hoops . . . especially since you get to interact with the owner/builder of the wheels easily. Read the review you'll see what I mean.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

false_Aesthetic wrote:2) These things are exceptionally fast downhill. I don't get freaked out too often but on a local descent (one I'm quite familiar with) the Boyds spun up faster than what I'm used to and brought back that "WHOA!" feeling--something I haven't felt since the first time I broke 55mph.

Yeah, I experienced that the first time I rode my Reynold's Assaults in the mountains.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

kulivontot

by kulivontot

The hubs look like taiwanese bitex hubs from bikehubstore.com rebranded. Don't know anything about the rims.

Rob1519

by Rob1519

I just took my new Boyd 50mm carbon tubulars for a first ride and could not be more pleased. They are light, stiff, responsive, and simply shot up several short but steep climbs.

For the price you cannot go wrong. I payed $835.00 delivered for the wheels including Sapim CX-Ray spokes and SwissStop Yellow King pads. Rims are from an Asian factory producing for major brands. Not certain about the hub production location. Wheels are built in the US.

I must have exchanged 10+ emails loaded with questions with Boyd Johnson, the owner. I cannot say enough about this guy. He responds quickly, knows his business, and takes great care of his customers.

I did a fair amount of research prior to my purchase. The results were overwhelmingly positive.

nothingman

by nothingman

I've had a set of their 58 tubulars running since March. Raced 5 times and a little training on them too. Have had 4 top-10s (2 podiums) in 5 races. All terrain, all conditions.

Love them. Great build, reliable. Also have a 20+ email thread with Boyd. Very responsive. I did a ton of research before finally buying. He hooked me up with the new rear hub too, which is now announced on their website. I had my local surly mechanic take a look, he said the build looked good -- correct dish, spoke tension, etc.

For the price, I'm not sure he can be beat. There's quite a few guys doing this Taiwan rims and hubs built in America scheme, it's not rocket science, but his build quality, customer service, and price is top notch. He's also using pricey black Sapim CX-Ray spokes, while others are using Sapim Laser or Pillar spokes. The 20/24 build with 2x both sides is smart, too -- notice that's what Hed is doing for 2011.

When I think of the $850 I paid, shipped with pads, versus what Zipp, Hed, and others are charging for the same depth and only 100g total weight savings, I'm incredibly happy to have my Boyds and the $1500 difference.

I'm no shill. Paid full price. I wanted the advanced rim shape of the Zipp or Hed, but since buying the Boyd's haven't thought twice about it.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge comparing the old Boyd 38 or 50 mm clinchers vs the new 44mm clinchers. I do not think the new wheels are out yet, but still curious to know

Kasparz

by Kasparz

Taiwanese rims with Bitex hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. You can build ones yourself and save a bit of cash or Bitex can offer you same wheelset already built also with Pillar spoke option. Other than that it is a good wheelset.

CBRE

by CBRE

I have three sets of his wheels, clinchers on my cross bike and 50mm tub's on my Evo. The 50's are a nice comprimise between aero and light weight, they are faster than my DT 425/525's at 1/3 the price. On the previous downhill comment I too hit a new PR top speed with these of 57.4mph!
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kneedragon

by Kneedragon

I've got the 50mm clinchers and they're fantastic wheels. I had mine built up with Alchemy hubs (ELF/ORC) so I can't comment on the Bitex hubs.

The wheels themselves have been fantastic: spin up quick, light, and stiff. Also, communication with Boyd was great too.