Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

I'm sorry, but I have to post this.

This past Fall I tested no name frames from China for a company that re-brands and sells Chinese frames and this was one of them. After riding almost every top end brand from every manufacturer I'd have to say this was one of the worst riding frames I've ridden. I found the front end noodly, ride quality pretty bad, and honestly not worth it. Sorry to rain on the parade. There is a huge difference between this frame and current carbon offerings.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shadwell

by shadwell

Hi K,
No parade here mate, just opinion....
As I mentioned the fork I believe has a deflection / resonance characteristic..
I personally don't find it soft as it seems to on my build stand up to consistent load well.
Eg peeling into a turn, braking, carving through a corner and needing to change line mid corner.
But I can see how that characteristic or twanginess (is that a word?) could be described at noddly.
I have to say I have noticed a big difference in the front end perceived stiffness in the bar with different bars stems and the amount of steerer tube exposed...
And of course the set ups you tried would be different from mine.

As I said, I think his frame could be improved with a good fork...
Edge being about the best out there.....

So for this considering this, perhaps look at frame ky and use the small amount of cash
You save toward a better fork...

Kinda worry about the disc brake version if the fork is not extensively re engineered to handle the
Different loads (size, mad other and point of application.. )

Anyhow I have pics, just gotta try Nd get them off the phone..

Cheers guys and ladies..

KWalker

by KWalker

The fork and front end suck. Period. My first bike was a 2008 Tarmac, which didn't have an oversized or tapered headtube. I started riding when I weighed 235lbs and even that front end was better. I think the size jumps and geo don't help this out either.

Then, since BB and rear end stiffness is really emphasized you get a really harsh rear end with a not stiff front end and just a bad ride overall. Even for the price I wouldn't buy one in the future.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

JackDaniels

by JackDaniels

I have an fm015 which looks to have a similar rear triangle. The rear end has a very brittle feel. The overall ride of the bike is ok, but a tier below many other well made carbon frames. That said, it was $400 and it's held up to over 6k rough miles.

SDP

by SDP

still no pics? is it vapourware?

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Kasparz

by Kasparz

KWalker wrote:The fork and front end suck. Period. My first bike was a 2008 Tarmac, which didn't have an oversized or tapered headtube. I started riding when I weighed 235lbs and even that front end was better. I think the size jumps and geo don't help this out either.

Then, since BB and rear end stiffness is really emphasized you get a really harsh rear end with a not stiff front end and just a bad ride overall. Even for the price I wouldn't buy one in the future.

2008 Tarmac was not even considered as a option to this frameset, way heavier and no integrated cables. And at 235lbs I'm sorry to say and don't take it personally, I would hate every single bike and cycling in general. If you want stiffer bike, get 066 nonSL as it is clearly stated by manufacturer as a stiffer option.

metanoize

by metanoize

Yep, I didn't want to spend tons of money on my first carbon frame. I did test few expensive high-end carbon frames, seriously, not much difference at all. But hey, maybe I only weigh 61kg! I found a photo on my phone.
Attachments
HongFu-FM066.jpg

MichaelB

by MichaelB

rainerhq wrote:Bit OT, but now this frame has disc brakes.

Be interesting to see a few more details on this frame, as apparently it's a FM-066 with disc tabs on the rear and a disc fork.

totoboa

by totoboa

OT, but WTH ?

Showing now under the title "Who is Online " is Google (bot)

Last night it was Yahoo (bot)

Is/are these malware or spam probes ?

Mods feel free to delete this post as it is certainly not contributing but maybe someone else is curious. :evil:

Kasparz

by Kasparz

Search engines indexing the page.

djconnel

by djconnel

What do you mean "about 800g"??? That's exceptionally light if accurate.

I'm impressed at the number of sizes. The Chinese frames have in my prior experience typically come only in a very limited number, with large head tubes. The geometry on this seems actually good.

WRT kwalker's observations: what size is yours and what do you weigh? Many frame designs get stiffer when smaller, and when combined with a lighter rider one man's "noodle" is another man's "comfortable but responsive".

KWalker

by KWalker

I weigh 165. I was on what was supposedly a 54, but had to have been a bit longer. My wager is 55 or so effective TT. I felt the flex most in out of the saddle climbing, but it was more pronounced when I was 235lbs as a former weightlifter on a noodly 2008 Specialized and it tracked fairly poor in corners.

Of the no name frames I rode, this was actually the best, for whatever that's worth.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

shadwell

by shadwell

Sorry guys, my typo... Mass was 880gms.
This was totally bare frame.. No cable guides / inserts, rear hanger, seat clamp and after I had dremmel end every appature clean....
I imagine about 50 to 70 GM's with all the little bits back on...
It's a 56... So in the mid 900's.. Whic is comparable with others noted.

I appreciate this is punishable by ridicule... Feel free..

Noisy pics won't up load right now.. Will sort on Monday.

eric

by eric

The BB30 56cm FM-066SL I received yesterday is 910g with derailleur hanger. Tapered fork is 360g uncut.

The finish and quality look good. The visible layup (all UD) is better than my '06 Cervelo R3's was. I'm looking forward to riding it.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

KWalker wrote:I weigh 165. I was on what was supposedly a 54, but had to have been a bit longer. My wager is 55 or so effective TT. I felt the flex most in out of the saddle climbing, but it was more pronounced when I was 235lbs as a former weightlifter on a noodly 2008 Specialized and it tracked fairly poor in corners.

Of the no name frames I rode, this was actually the best, for whatever that's worth.

I'm sorta confused. This is the best frame you rode out of all the open mold Chinese frame you were asked to test? But it was terrible?

For reference, what are the best few frames you've ridden, in your opinion?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com