brakes to get

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The EE's are great... if you can afford them. For many, although not as expensive as a pair of AX Lightness Orion brakes, they are still quite pricey when compared to KCNC's offerings which are at a similar weight. The CB7 has also been updated and should have a significant improvement in function compared to the CB1. On that note, the CB1 didn't test as poorly as people claim - check out FWB's brake review and you'll find the CB1's to be a great "all around" brakeset with quite capable function. Now, with the CB7's they're even better at a very marginal gain in weight of 10g or so over the CB1's.

But back to the EE's. I think they're beautiful. The engineering side of me loves how they function. I like that they are small, and in theory, more aero. I like the design - very post-modernist. The one thing, aside from price, that I don't like? The QR function: it's either on, or it's off. It is also not the type of QR that can be flipped either direction while riding. In Flanders we saw Cancellara specifically reach back and open his rear brake before taking on a climb. This is something I've done myself when I know I'll be powering through something and even the stiffest wheel will have some brake rub which an be avoided - then before the decent, reach back again and re-tighten the QR. Easy, right? The EE's have a QR - but it's either on or it's off, nothing in between, and certainly doesn't seem to easy to re-engage while riding. I'm welcome to be corrected on this however, as my only experience with these have been in playing with them either at a tradeshow or on a friend's bike, but no riding experience with them.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Part of that is also down to function / pull ratio and mechanical leverage.

I can tell you I run my EE more open than a few others but the close ratio is such that they still operate very well... Not argueing the point but the ability to make that adjustment may not be in direct line with the need to fiddle with it in the same way on all products.

I should go home and see if it's like that to any sizable degree but I know the range is better thn a couple of other brake sets

mr_tim

by mr_tim

^^ re the ee spacing from the rim... you can place the spacers between the brake shoe holder in various ways, which modifies the amount of pull needed & the point in the arms turn at which the pads actually hit the rim.

If you want them to snap onto the rim immediately when the ergo is pulled, this can be done... but equally if you want to have them spaced off from the rim that is entirely possible too.

The set up is very much like the v-brakes of old.. xtr / xt, where you could put the thicker spacer on the outside to get the arms straighter / more vertical thus giving maximum power with shortest possible cable pull. Move the thick spacer inside in the stack to the pad & the arms become more V orientated & thus longer cable pull needed to get them to hit.

@ prendrefeu; If your rim is flexing onto the brake pads on a hard climb, seems to me that your wheel is built too soft. Either that or your way stronger than me ;) I don't have any issues re; glancing rims to brake pads with either old or new ee brake designs & that's with a handful of different wheel builds.

Slightly OT but the ee's are a great design :)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Nah, Tim - the wheels are quite stiff. I check the spoke tension regularly and it's all 'ping' perfect. I guess it's the latter then, too strong of a rider! Mind you these are also on serious climbs that can be a more than a few miles long with gradient averages in the double digits.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

mc1987

by mc1987

Someone did a review here. Pretty good.

http://www.eecycleworks.com/VNJune%20BrakeTest.pdf

Cheers!

by Cheers!

I don't think a manufacturer would post a pdf of a review of their product on their own website if it was not favorable.

cmdr199212

by cmdr199212

I like the FSA SL-K brakeset that I have. WAY better IMO than the Force brakes they replaced. And, not terribly heavy, as well as being fairly cheap (I paid $85 shipped)

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Cheers! wrote:I don't think a manufacturer would post a pdf of a review of their product on their own website if it was not favorable.

That doesnt mean the review isnt fairly accurate...

GASer

by GASer

How do the EE work with Campagnolo levers?
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I've got 4000 plus kms on a set of 2012 EE brakes with super record 2012 levers..
Amazing performance! They are faboulus brakes and they work very very well with campag levers

GASer

by GASer

thanks!
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

nlouthan

by nlouthan

I too run ee with 2012 Campy SR and they're great.

GT56

by GT56

jbag011 wrote:so i have a caad9 bb30 with centaur. i want to get new brakes i have chorus on there now but they are older and heavy. i was thinking trp 920's for the price they are 260 grams and have ti hardware. i am a bike mechanic and have 15 years experience, i was just curious what everyone thought. i am new to this site. justin

why not go with the 2nd best braking brakes in the business ? > Campagnolo Super Record

they'll collect less dirt than ee, kcnc, and all that lot, so in the end you will be operating a lighter bike......

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

So you haven't used EE brakes then?

Arc

by Arc

Im not a fan of the EE's, looks abit.... overengineered to me :)
How about TRP 970 SL, been considering those myself.
Anyone got some experience with those to share

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com