26" frame-650b wheels?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

i want to do a new project with a 26" MTB frame and 26" sus. fork with 650b wheels. What 26" frames and forks will have enough clearance and work with 650b wheels? My Scott scale and sid race do not work :oops: i was told a Cannondale flash 26" frame will work...true? also fox forks?
to go faster....just pedal harder!

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Lots of info. on MTBR Forum. There is even a thread of 650b compatible 26-ers.

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Why use a 26in frame and fork, the ones you have didn't work... just buy 650b parts. Had a customer do this with a Kona frame and fox F80 this summer... lots of trouble.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

just not many 650b frame choices and I like the feel of a small 26' frame with idea of bigger wheels. I rode a 29er and didnt like it. And of course want the build to be light

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

this is all just a thought for now....I love my 17.5 lbs Scott Scale, just always trying new things to be faster :D

Quinn039

by Quinn039

but... if you're really into this idea look at the Surly Troll. The frame is a 26in that you can stuff a small 29in tire/wheel into... not that I'm condoning such practices...

Quinn039

by Quinn039

What 29er's have you tried? I dont own one yet, still a 26in fan of course... but I had the same sort of initial impression. However, I did get the opportunity to demo a pair of high-end hardtails this summer and that thoroughly changed my opinion. Make sure you try some well put together bikes before you decide against 29in would be my advice on the subject.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

trust me i tried the best 29er's out there, all my buddies race them. I am a bit short at 5'9 and the trails around my area are tight and twisty, with many shorter steep climbs. A 29er was so slow compared to my 26er coming out of the corners into steep climbs. I just ride away from all my 29er buddies on my 26er...and we all are the same level expert race/riders. So my thinking is a 650b would be perfect for a bit more "roll over" but still stay quick out of the turns and quick on the steeper climbs

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Nice, 650 may work then. I'm just over 5'8", didnt like 29ers until i rode a Intense Hard Eddie built up to 19lbs with XX and carbon wheels and then a Specialized stumpy with XTR and carbon rovals... thats when I saw the use of the bigger wheel size, all out speed for racing like crazy. 650 may help with the handling, although I found the Intense and the Spesh to handle so much better than other, lesser, 29ers id ridden.

c90sx

by c90sx

i stuck 650b whls in my flash frame and it works. i love the 650b all the goods of a 29 with out the bad.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

i heard a flash is the only frame that works well with 650b wheels.......maybe i will look into a used flash frame

Kristina

by Kristina

cyclemanpat wrote:i heard a flash is the only frame that works well with 650b wheels.......maybe i will look into a used flash frame

Cannondale Flash Alu works with big clearance (http://www.bike-forum.cz/ajax/getCommen ... &current=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
also Trek 8500 model 2010, 2011 and 2012 works with a lot of clearance. There are a lot of other frames that work too, like On-One Whippet carbon (http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/frames/whippet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) or On-One 456 carbon (http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/frames/456_frames" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Fox forx are well known for its compatibility. A personaly use Fox Float 32 on my 650b ride. You can use Lefty fork as well with no hassles.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

great info thanks!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com