Planet X Stealth

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Scott!

by Scott!

I'm trying to build a budget TT bike. So far I've ordered the Planet X Stealth frame, fork, and bars and some SRAM TT500 levers. I'm still deciding which components will be fitted. I'm trying to use whatever spares I have laying around and trading/bartering for whatever else I need. Not a short term project, but I'd like to have it on the road before March so I can get some time on it before the road race season starts here as I plan on doing some omniums and also the State Time Trial Championship.

The frame is a medium and the weight is 1469 grams without fork or seatpost.
Frame on scale:

Fork weighs in at 392g:

Seatpost:

Bars are 661g:

Last edited by Scott! on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dalai

by Dalai

Nice. Just for reference against the weight - what size frame?

Scott!

by Scott!

The frame is a medium. I edited the post to reflect that. Thanks for the heads up.

BmanX

by BmanX

Here was mine before I sold it due to back issues. 15.5 lbs when completed.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Dalai

by Dalai

Scott! wrote:Thanks for the heads up.

No worries. Looking forward to seeing this built up! :thumbup:

Scott!

by Scott!

Busy week with parts trickling in. Found a Rival crank and f/r derailleur from member Thrillho in the WW marketplace. I had already budgeted for a set of Boyd Wheels and found out they were having a sale so went ahead and ordered those. I must say that in both cases shipping was phenomenal. With the Rival buy, purchase was completed on Friday and box was sent on Monday from Portland, OR. I received it via USPS on Tuesday. I ordered the Boyd wheels on Monday, they were shipped out Tuesday and arrived yesterday (Wednesday). Anyway, during the week I installed the headset and bottom bracket, yesterday fitted the crankset and the derailleurs. It shouldn't be long before I can get the bike rolling and start experimenting with some stems and spacers before cutting the steerer.

The only thing missing are brake levers. I'm holding off on brakes while I decide which calipers I'm going to use. I have Force, Rival, and Zero Gravity to choose between my three bikes. Most likely I'll put the Zero G's on my road bike which has a mix of Red/Force and put the Force calipers on the TT bike.

I am weighing each and everything that goes on, I'll list it out on the final build sheet.

pxusa
in the industry

by pxusa

Digging the build progress so far. :thumbup:
---------------------------------------------
-Patrick
http://www.planet-x-usa.com
Carbon Wheels, Road + TT Frames, and more!
57 NE Hancock | Portland, OR|503-894-8956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Scott!

by Scott!

Have all the parts to complete the bike, but ran into a delay today. While at the LBS to pick up some spacers, I noticed an old pair of Easton Attack one piece TT bars in the clearance bin. I'm a sucker for anything on clearance and I talked myself into them.

Little did I know that both the brake levers and the shifter mounts were glued on. I figured I'd use the brake levers and modify the bars to accept my SRAM TT shifters. I used the cutoff wheel on my dremel and managed to remove the shifter mounts. The return spring on one of the brake levers kept falling out, and when I saw the amount of finessing required for the internal cable routing, I decided to fit the Profile levers I had already purchased. Of course there was another aluminum mount that was glued on.

Another half an hour with the dremel and I wound up with this:

Plan is to finish up in the morning, still need to cut the fork and install the chain and cables.