COLNAGO Extreme Power Pg. 7

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Hello WW. I've been babysitting this frame for a while now, and I hope to finish it soon. Below is a list of parts I'll be using.

Group: Campagnolo Record or SR
Headset: Chris King NoThreadset
Stem: Deda Superleggero 110mm
Bars: Deda Superleggera 44cm o-o
Seatpost: Edge 31.6mm, 25mm setback
Saddle: Prologo C.One30 & C.One Nack
Bottle cage: King Ti
Wheelset: Reynolds DV46/SDV66 mixed (decals will be removed)
Skewers: Parts of Passion Ti
Tires: Vittoria Corsa Evo SC Tubular
Pedals: Look Keo Blade

I'd have preferred a regular set of DV46 wheels, but I got an incredible deal on this set up. Hopefully, the tan sidewalls will draw some of the attention away from the wheel depth discrepancy. So far, I have what's in these photos.
Last edited by irongatsby on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rumsas

by Rumsas

This is the perfect frame. Nothing less.

manne

by manne

This could be interesting, looking forward to see the build up.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Me too! :thumbup:

paradawt

by paradawt

Wowwww what a frame :)

Very nice build.
Berria Belador 7

kgt

by kgt

Great frame but the component choise so far... I don't get it :noidea:

paradawt

by paradawt

Colnago frame deserves italian components like Deda for example.

I think it will be good anyway.
Berria Belador 7

rhyslewisdavies

by rhyslewisdavies

Without doubt the worst frame ive ever ridden - could not wait to get rid of it. Had a C50 before it (loved it) which i wiped out in a race and the insurance money paid for a EP - absolute pile of horse shit. Now on Specialized S-Works SL4 and wont be going back to 'Nago - unless a new C50 frameset turns up somewhere dirt cheap

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Ah yes kgt, the American components..... May I? :mrgreen:

1. Chris King Headset- It seems like CK is being accepted by some enthusiasts of Italian cycling nowadays. No need to mention their quality, but I like the tall stack height which allows me to use less spacers. Of course there's the Campy headset, but I'm not sure about that plastic ring around the lower cup. Looks a bit outdated and seems more fitting on a true classic like the Master. Also, I don't feel like re-greasing the headset. IMO, a headset should be a 'set it and forget it' element.

2. King titanium cage- Here, I was looking for a very simple and traditional looking piece that is light in weight. The Ti handles on POP skewers should pick up the Ti cage nicely. The Elite Ciussi is okay, but too busy looking.

3. Reynolds Wheelset- As previously mentioned, the mixed rim depth wasn't my first choice, but I got a great deal and I will try to make the best of what I have. I think mixed depth wheelsets can look great from most angles except from a straight sideview. It makes the bike appear a bit unbalanced, but looks aggressive and dynamic. However, I admit that a mixed wheelset isn't necessary for a frame like this. I plan on getting some Lightweights in the not so near future.

4. Edge seatpost- I just simply love this component. IMO, it is a smartly engineered piece that connects the saddle to the frame without making a lot of noise. The negative space around the saddle and seatpost junction is especially clean.

Everything else is Italian Italian Italian, so relax and give it a chance!!! :beerchug:

corky

by corky

rhyslewisdavies wrote:Without doubt the worst frame ive ever ridden - could not wait to get rid of it. Had a C50 before it (loved it) which i wiped out in a race and the insurance money paid for a EP - absolute pile of horse shit. Now on Specialized S-Works SL4 and wont be going back to 'Nago - unless a new C50 frameset turns up somewhere dirt cheap

excellent threadcrapper post!

really informative..... adds so much to this thread.... :noidea:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think it's going to build up very nicely. Silver Chris King headset will be perfect. And that looks like a Campy seat post collar, just "unanodized" and polished? Very nice. And whose signature is that on the top tube? I seem to remember a frame like this in some thread with a picture of it being signed in some shop in California and was jealous. I think it was around a time when Alex Colnago was visiting the US? Summer of 2011? I think it was around that same time that he heard about my wishes for my special EPQ and I was told it "might" happen.

Anyway, look forward to seeing it complete.

And as for @rhyslewisdavies comments about it being the "worst frame he's ever ridden", it's fine to have an opinion but please, tell us why you've come to that conclusion. Just curious.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Rush

by Rush

rhyslewisdavies wrote:Without doubt the worst frame ive ever ridden - could not wait to get rid of it. Had a C50 before it (loved it) which i wiped out in a race and the insurance money paid for a EP - absolute pile of horse shit. Now on Specialized S-Works SL4 and wont be going back to 'Nago - unless a new C50 frameset turns up somewhere dirt cheap

Any reasons why the 'EP' frame was so much worse than the C50? Geometry? Build quality? Stiffness? Ride quality?

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Calnago wrote:I think it's going to build up very nicely. Silver Chris King headset will be perfect. And that looks like a Campy seat post collar, just "unanodized" and polished? Very nice. And whose signature is that on the top tube? I seem to remember a frame like this in some thread with a picture of it being signed in some shop in California and was jealous. I think it was around a time when Alex Colnago was visiting the US? Summer of 2011?

Hi Calnago,

Yes, the seatpost collar is indeed a de-anodized and polished Campy. I have a titanium bolt to replace the steel one, but the head is too big so I have to turn it down a bit. Apparently, the steel bolt is a special narrow head bolt. And yes, Alex Colnago came to Helen's Cycles in CA along with his grandpa who signed a few autographs. I was one of the few lucky ones there. :up:
Last edited by irongatsby on Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Montana

by Montana

This is very exciting! Are you going to remove the seatpost logos? I can't wait to see this built up

:thumbup: