New weight weenie pedals on the market- Ultralite Sports

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
stella-azzurra
Posts: 5072
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:35 am
Location: New York

by stella-azzurra

VNTech wrote:The clip in/out motions are becoming much more intuitive. Clipping in still takes longer, as I rarely find the pedal with that small slot on the first try. Clipping out is easy, requiring very little effort once you get the muscle memory and aren't trying to kick your foot through the crank anymore. I haven't toppled over yet.


So the foot is turning into the crank.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie


User avatar
madcow
Shop Owner
Posts: 3735
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Tucson, Az.
Contact:

by madcow

I don't want to step into the argument so far but will add 2 things.

1. I've used the Orb2 pedals, which are dimensionally very similar to these, for years and have never had an issue with the size of the pedal or cleat.

2. While I don't have any issue with the size, I do see a potential issue for some of the more "wild" riders. It's the same issue the first gen Orb suffered from. The release motion of the cleat is one where you slide your foot inward toward the crank and pull up. Some guys really throw the bike side to side in a sprint. When you do this you lean the bike and continue to pull straight up on the pedal, this makes your foot pull inward toward the crank and up, the same as the cleat release motion. I asked them about this when I was in Vegas and got a semi-dismissive reply. Basically because a couple of riders have not had a problem with this they are willing to apply that to the whole group. The problem is the test riders are veterans of the sport, and veterans tend to have, for the lack of a better phrase, cleaner style. Many (but not all) aren't so wild with the bike. However as many companies learn, the general public doesn't always behave the same as a select group of test riders. The big question will be, are there any riders out there that during an effort, lean their bikes to an angle where pulling up moves the inner sleeve enough to cause a release. Granted it's not a sprinters pedal and this may not be a problem, but the potential for one is there.

Regardless, I look forward to getting and testing a set of these pedals.

VNTech
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:08 pm

by VNTech

stella-azzurra wrote:So the foot is turning into the crank.


Nope, as Madcow wrote you move the cleat inwards and up to unclip. It's a relatively small movement, which is why I think you'd probably unclip in the event of a crash. It's also small enough that Madcow's concerns are certainly valid. I've done some exaggerated-lean pedaling and have had no issues, but that's quite different from chucking the bike around mid-sprint.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

User avatar
djconnel
Posts: 7926
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

by djconnel

I think for Speedplay as well you can contemplate a wildly uncontrolled pedal motion which will result in unclipping.

"Doctor, I unclip when I do this."
"So don't do this."

oysters
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:19 am

by oysters

What about if grinding hard up a stupidly steep slope (beyond the range of your gearing, really). Like the kind of effort that just about has you stopping between pedal strokes and you are just about putting as much force through your upper body as lower? Would that force you to unclip?

Just wondering because I sometimes take my commuter with its 40/23 low up some crazy slopes detouring on my way home, that are probably 20% (like last night). I don't have any problems with my SPD pedals doing that though, despite the fact that the cleats have done well excess of 10,000km now and the pedals are loosened right off.

User avatar
CharlesM
Posts: 5771
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Phoenix Arizona

by CharlesM

madcow wrote:I don't want to step into the argument so far but will add 2 things.

1. I've used the Orb2 pedals, which are dimensionally very similar to these, for years and have never had an issue with the size of the pedal or cleat.

2. While I don't have any issue with the size, I do see a potential issue for some of the more "wild" riders. It's the same issue the first gen Orb suffered from. The release motion of the cleat is one where you slide your foot inward toward the crank and pull up. Some guys really throw the bike side to side in a sprint. When you do this you lean the bike and continue to pull straight up on the pedal, this makes your foot pull inward toward the crank and up, the same as the cleat release motion. I asked them about this when I was in Vegas and got a semi-dismissive reply. Basically because a couple of riders have not had a problem with this they are willing to apply that to the whole group. The problem is the test riders are veterans of the sport, and veterans tend to have, for the lack of a better phrase, cleaner style. Many (but not all) aren't so wild with the bike. However as many companies learn, the general public doesn't always behave the same as a select group of test riders. The big question will be, are there any riders out there that during an effort, lean their bikes to an angle where pulling up moves the inner sleeve enough to cause a release. Granted it's not a sprinters pedal and this may not be a problem, but the potential for one is there.

Regardless, I look forward to getting and testing a set of these pedals.




Yep, It's (above) a potential.

I pulled out of the ORB's doing exactly that motion.

And it wasn't a sprint... It was climbing where someone attacked and I made a big effort out of the saddle to go too. Big acceleration is what it is and doesn't care it the terrain is flat or tilting up.

These have that same motion.

teamtrinity
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:31 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Contact:

by teamtrinity

interesting...so the ultralite's pose a potential danger to less experienced or just rougher riders. huh...

well, what would guys say is the lightest "safe" pedal? for reference, my Exustar PR200CK-Ti are a bit under 90g per pedal (did not weight cleats yet).

thanks!

totoboa
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:24 am
Location: Sierra Foothills, California USA

by totoboa

thprice wrote:[url]http://www.ultralitesports.com/[/url

Give us feedback if you buy them.


Back on topic: Anyone else ??? :thumbup:

teamtrinity
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:31 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Contact:

by teamtrinity

Any semi-long term reviews?

benolium
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:08 am
Location: Temecula, California

by benolium

They've been out for months. Looks like the same old aerolite.

User avatar
theremery
Posts: 2673
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New Zealand

by theremery

Mounted and rode mine (finally) tonight (I've had them for months). It was just a "setting up" ride as I have our provincial Champs this weekend and won't change my primary race set-up or risk ANY changes (like no float) causing injury. First impressions?......tricky to engage into (I hand loaded my foot in place to do the job quickly a la old school safety move with toe-clips and straps) but otherwise they seem pretty normal. I rapidly forgot I was riding them (not a bad thing unless you are at the lights ;) ).........We'll see. I'll give a decent review later and proof of the pudding will be if I choose to ride them in my A-race in 5 weeks :)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

teamtrinity
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:31 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Contact:

by teamtrinity

theremery wrote:Mounted and rode mine (finally) tonight (I've had them for months). It was just a "setting up" ride as I have our provincial Champs this weekend and won't change my primary race set-up or risk ANY changes (like no float) causing injury. First impressions?......tricky to engage into (I hand loaded my foot in place to do the job quickly a la old school safety move with toe-clips and straps) but otherwise they seem pretty normal. I rapidly forgot I was riding them (not a bad thing unless you are at the lights ;) ).........We'll see. I'll give a decent review later and proof of the pudding will be if I choose to ride them in my A-race in 5 weeks :)


I'd love to hear how they fair. I want to put them on my road bike...but not of they unclip unintentionally on sudden hard efforts as theorized be a couple people. And not if they're overly difficult to clip in and out of. Also...how do the cleats feel off the bike? I imagine I'll walk on them a bit at coffee shop stops or getting water/food at a stop.

Thanks!

BmanX
Posts: 3844
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:31 pm

by BmanX

I like the TriRig light weight pedals and will give them a try when they are ready.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5960g/13.13 lbs

teamtrinity
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:31 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Contact:

by teamtrinity

BmanX wrote:I like the TriRig light weight pedals and will give them a try when they are ready.


Interesting! Very similar design...but cheaper, and with a 6 month return policy? I'm sold! I'll probably try them out when they're released in June!

by Weenie


User avatar
Gearjunkie
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:17 am
Location: NZ

by Gearjunkie

The advantage of the Ultralite over the Tririg Mercury is the bigger range of adjustment, 7mm instead of 3mm.

As a long term Aerolite user, the compatibility with 3 bolt shoes is the only real disadvantage for me. Apparently the Ultralite 3 bolt cleat isn't compatible with Aerolite.

Anyone know if the Mercury cleat will be compatible with Aerolite pedals? Looks from the pictures like they may well be, the key being the outside diameter of the Mercury pedal.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post