Tubeless Sealant....What's your story.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hotshod

by hotshod

I have now been running Road Tubeless Hutch F3 since March 2012 and done over 10,000k without a flat. I have nearly worn out my second rear tyre , it should be replaced within the next 1500k. I have only ever used Stan's Sealant.

This week I decided to test it with a drawing pin to see if it was still effective. It was slow to seal and it weeped clear liquid for a while , not the white dot seal that you might expect.
I took both tyres off to further investigate and the Stan's had broken down to white stringy latex and a clearish liquid. This was after 4 months for the rear and 6 months for the front. So I added 30ml of Stans and will do a full clean out when the rear is finished.

I would like to draw out as many comments as possible about other sealant brands and there performance , ...... be it how they seal a puncture or how long they remain effective.

I have converted about 10 sets of wheels for other riders in my group. I originally told them to change or check fluid at 5 months in summer and 7 in winter...... ie April & November..... ( Australia, Sth Hemis)

The drawing pin test is for those with faith........ do it at home !!!!!
Tubeless users step up ......

cheers
All this from an old bloke who wishes he was faster and could climb better...... enjoy the ride!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shadwell

by shadwell

Very similar experiences to yourself i have to say.. effective for about 6 months, then it dries out within the tyre...I imagine this varies with climate, stinking hot queensland being i would imagine less favorable.. so perhaps 6 months is a fair minimum... no idea what the top end might be...

I ripped off the tyre, cleaned the tyre casing and re-applied... and it was fine again..

No issue witht he vales or rim strip either.. zero maintenance on them...

Also this appears similar on or off road.. in terms of perfromance drop off..

PS tried the Hutchinson air stop green bitty goo.. it was hopeless in a clean tyre and rim, but effective in a tyre that already had left over stans in it...

hillrider

by hillrider

Only use Stans sealent in my MTB tire's and it drys out after about 5 months.Myself and my club mates replace the Stans sealent about every 4 months or so.This is in cold wet Ireland (summer and winter :? ).

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

That timeframe is pretty standard around here too. I find myself replacing sealant for my road and MTB about twice a year. I've found that mixing Stans sealant with some Bonty Super Juice can help to keep the sealant in a liquid state a bit longer.

blantonator

by blantonator

I've had the same experience on my road tubeless setup. It basically broke down into a clear liquid. On the MTB is just dries up.

That said, I'm going to try this soon.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I use Stans and Fusion 3s and have added sealant once after about 4 months at the end of the summer. When I originally went tubeless I had about 3 months on the old wheelset and when I removed the tires to swap to the new wheels about half of the solution was coating the tire and the res was still liquid. After cleaning the tire I noticed about 5 good sized punctures that sealed right up. Haven't noticed any PSI loss while riding so it did it's job. Would have been toast on the road with tubes.

I will continue to use stans and top up ever 4-5 months as it works perfect for what I encounter here.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Zen Cyclery wrote:That timeframe is pretty standard around here too. I find myself replacing sealant for my road and MTB about twice a year. I've found that mixing Stans sealant with some Bonty Super Juice can help to keep the sealant in a liquid state a bit longer.

I have a bottle of super juice that my LBS gave me when I bought a Trek Sawyer that had tubeless 29er wheels. Never used it but sounds like I can put it to use. Do you find that mixing the two has any impact on it's sealing ability?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@NWS- I have found that if you put too much Super juice (more than 50%) it can take longer to seal small holes. In my experience, the best ratio is 1 part super juice, 2 parts Stans.

corky

by corky

Don't use sealant myself anymore, once hit a rock that tore a gash in the tyre that was sealant filled.
I had a tube but jeez the mess!.... the difficulty in inserting a tube was horrendous. Once you get sealant on your hands.... well it's not good.

Since I always ride with a spare tube I would rather live with the additional chance of puncturing than have to go through that again.

NB sealant does work with puctures though .....have pulled a staple out before and had it reseal.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Stans sealant isnt ideal for road use as the pressures cause the fluid to go off. Bontrager do a road specific sealant that has been trouble free.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Zen Cyclery wrote:@NWS- I have found that if you put too much Super juice (more than 50%) it can take longer to seal small holes. In my experience, the best ratio is 1 part super juice, 2 parts Stans.

It sounds as if that Super Juice may contain some ammonia?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

aratchet

by aratchet

I have used Stan's for two years(12,000 miles) in my Fusion 3s mounted on Campy Shamal Two Way Fit wheels. No flats either. My rear only lasts about 1500 miles and the fronts about 2000 miles. So the sealant is still very liquid when I change tires at 3-3 1/2 month intervals. I do see a bit of stringiness round the bead. It really seems to work well. Schwalbe are repackaging it to sell along side their new Ultremo road tubeless.

CrossRob

by CrossRob

I use Hutchinson Protect Air Max with my both my Fusion 3s on the road and my Bulldogs for cross.

I've only taken one tyre off so far, after about 2.5k km in 6 months, and the liquid had dried on the tyre.

I've had no punctures in either set and I lose about 10psi if I don't ride them for a week.

GASer

by GASer

Bontrager juice failed in the second ride while there is no case with Stan's after a year of usage.
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

mec287

by mec287

I use stans in my MTB tubeless tyres (Conti Rubber Queens) and have (so far) had no issues with degredation and thankfully no punctures. I haven't tried yet on the road - what's the concensus vs tyres with some form of kevlar protection and a regular tube?
S-works 2012 in Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com