Extralite stem bolts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

highwater

by highwater

I need new bolts for my Extralite stem faceplate. Is there is any alternative to ordering a new set directly from Extralite? They are quite expensive that way, but they are smaller than standard stem bolts. Does anyone know the right dimension to order a generic bolt?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Those are 2 x 16 mm long grade 5 Ti M5 bolts and 4 x 12 mm long M4 bolts (faceplate, I assume) with Torx heads.

The dimensions are on Extralite's website BTW.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

giantdale

by giantdale

Their heads are rounded so generics will not do :smartass:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

You mean they're like disc brake bolts?

Ciao, ;)

highwater

by highwater

Thanks for the replies. Here is the best picture I have of my stem faceplate. As you can see it's the old style non-grooved faceplate with allen head bolts. I do see how the bolt heads are rounded. I do not know, however, if the faceplate is machined such that a bolt with a differently [or not at all] rounded head will work. I do not have the bike here to look at in person.

I think I have found some generic bolts that might work, and it looks like the heads are slightly rounded:

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=allen-bolt-M4-12mm&CartID=1

Unfortunately they are stainless steel and will turn my bike into a boat anchor :lol:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

It appears your stem would be the older pre 2011 model which used different bolts. Extrabolt # 6 which they no longer offer for sale so there's no description of the bolts either.

It woul not surprise me if the bolts on the faceplate were M5 and not M4 either.

If you can/could measure them (length is measured from right under the head of the bolt down) somehow it would make it a lot easier. Or unscrew one and see if it can replace a bolt of one of the bottle cages on your bike for instance. If it fits the bolts are M5, too small means M4 and just too big means M6. From looking at the stem I'd hazard M5.

Either way you want Mx bolts made of a good grade Ti (grade 5 for example) with a conical head (those are lighter than typical cylindrical ones).
I take it you're across the pond so here's a place where you guys usually go shopping for bolts:

http://torontocycles.com/

Ciao, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

On the first extralite stem I owned I killed the bolts (stripped the heads). I ended up ordering ti bolts from a 3rd party and ended up using them for a couple of years with no issues at all. Unfortunately, the place I got them from is no longer in business (they were local).
Speedplay is the devil!

highwater

by highwater

I appreciate the assistance. Unfortunately I don't have the bike here to mess with. Two of the bolts stripped while a local shop was boxing the bike up to ship across country - they were kind enough to call me and let me know. I sent a message to Extralite asking them about the compatibility of the old style stem with the newer Extrabolt 6.2 style bolts. I also asked if they still had any of the older ones around. The more I think about it, the more it seems like it might be best to suffer the expense of the Extralite bolts and rest assure that I treated the stem right.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The more I think about it, the more it seems like it might be best to suffer the expense of the Extralite bolts and rest assure that I treated the stem right.

You only need four bolts (probably bog stand conical M5s) which (going for top quality) would cost about 2.40 Euro each including 20% VAT.

Up to you. 8)

Ciao, ;)

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

As mentioned above Toronto Cycles is your best bet. If they are M4 as mentioned above he keeps those on the "miniature bolts" page. I'm sure you'll find what you need:

http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Mi ... Bolts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

highwater

by highwater

I checked out Toronto Cycles and they appear not to have those particular bolts in stock right now (I'm fairly certain they are M4). I found another place, Jersey Cycles, which appears to be a sister company of some sort which did list them in stock.

Of course, as luck would have it, I just got a PM from a forum member who had two original Extralite bolts on hand to send me for free! What an awesome community on here!

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Excellent - glad it worked out!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Same here.
Could you please do me a favour and confirm the bolt size (M4 or M5) ?
I think it's conceptually interesting, the only other company having picked up on the use of M4 bolts for that particular spot so far is Ritchey.

There are a few grams to be saved on a bike (provided you're at the design helm of things) by replacing M5 for M4 bolts or M6 for hollow ones for instance.....

Ciao, ;)

highwater

by highwater

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Same here.
Could you please do me a favour and confirm the bolt size (M4 or M5) ?
I think it's conceptually interesting, the only other company having picked up on the use of M4 bolts for that particular spot so far is Ritchey.

There are a few grams to be saved on a bike (provided you're at the design helm of things) by replacing M5 for M4 bolts or M6 for hollow ones for instance.....

Ciao, ;)

Since the bike is currently being shipped I don't have access to the stem to check the bolt size, however, I do remember the bolts being smaller in diameter for the faceplate than for the steerer clamp. When Extralite gets back to me regarding the compatibility of the 6.2 bolts with the older style stem we might have the answer. In a couple weeks I will be able to personally confirm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

Have you guys considered drilling the center of the Ti bolts? I mean after all this is WW
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]