Finally the rim I've been waiting to talk about.Pacenti SL23

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ergott

by ergott

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/12/21/pac ... less-rims/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have about a thousand miles on my prototype Pacenti rim and I'm very pleased. The rim has the tubeless friendly internal shape like other recent rims. I have been using Michelin 23mm and 25mm tires with tubes so I can't comment on tubeless yet, but I might try at some point.

With my 23mm Michelin tires, the sidewall is flush with the brake track. I think that this will prove to be a good aero combination. The spoke side of the rim is rounded and should be a benefit to that as well.

The rim is welded and machined so braking performance is as excellent, no tick at the joint. My copy is 452g so it's competitive with it's class. I'd rather not have it much lighter as stiffness and durability will suffer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

Just in time; I have been exploring my wide-rim options for a new wheelset. Looks like they will come in a 32-hole version as well (though not available yet), which my fat arse could use.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Ergott, what sets this rim apart from the Archetypes, C472ws and A23s of this world?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

That looks A LOT like the Belgium..

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Damn fine looking rim and damn fine looking Spooky too.
If you are pleased with the rim, then we should all take note.

ergott

by ergott

24mm wide X 26.5mm tall. It's indeed a brand new rim not shared by anything else out there. I have a signature build in the works featuring this rim. My initial hypothesis is that the rim will be more aerodynamic with a 23mm tire than the Belgium/Archetype, but I have no backup yet. I really want to see them in a test. The spoke side is more rounded and the tire I used (Michelin Pro4 Endurence 23mm) is flush with the brake track. That was the idea going into this design. Another goal was to have the slighter larger dimensions weigh in with no penalty (450g average) over the Archetype/Belgium rim. It's good company to be in.

PS - the rims will be black with machined sidewalls. The rim above is just a production sample I'm testing.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Any chance for anodisation after machining, a la H+Son?

ergott

by ergott

Not scheduled. Too many people complain about the looks of ano rims once the brakes are applied.

LVGH

by LVGH

Looks interesting. Any idea of the price? Would be nice if it were in the A23/Archetype ballpark (i.e. below $60).

ergott

by ergott

Should be priced around $90. That's competitive with Fairwheel's Archetype price.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Looks great Eric. I predict this will be a very aero rim for the class... probably as good as the XC279, and easily better than the 24mm tall C2 and Archetype. These other rims are all getting heavier too...

Do you know what material is used? Are you selling them, or Fairwheel, Pacenti... or someone else?
formerly rruff...

ergott

by ergott

Fairwheel and Pacenti. I shared my thoughts on initial design and contributed to the initial order as well, but I'm not a distributor.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

Any idea who will be distributing these in Europe (UK or Germany)?

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I'd love to see it available with internal nipples as an option

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

When do you expect them to be available? Will they come in 16h?
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com