My new 'old' Colnago spring project :-) Finished Images Pg4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Careful with the red bars. Lol. I have a C50 in exactly the same color scheme. It's beautiful but in the end, at least to my taste, required subdued components. Initially I had the first generation Fulcrum Racing Zeros with the red flared spokes and the whole setup looked like a Christmas tree. Got some Boras (not the dark label) and those were too busy as well. Had a red Chris King headset and that too didn't work in the long term for me. At this point I have some low profile classic wheels and a black headset and it looks great now. Very similar to what yours will look like I sure. Also was interesting to see the geo charts for the 57 sloping fames back then. The sloping frame sizes for the c59 are sometimes a compromise, especially the 58s. Anyway, looking forward to seeing it complete, especially how the sloping frame looks in that size since, if I were to get a sloping frame then yours is the geometry I would want.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Yes, the red 35 is a bold choice, but I respect him for making it. If Lig chooses to go with black bar tape, it will cover a large portion of the bars. I think the result could be surprisingly good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Just saw the Brooks bar tape. This bike is gonna be awesome.

Lig

by Lig

Hi Guys,

Here’s the ‘in progress’ piccie for starters - better pics will be taken when fully built and set up!!.

I painted the alloy head set cups and I am pleased with the result. I have also ordered a white seat post clamp.

The jury is out on the tyres; I like them because they are different to my other bikes but all black or black with the slight white tape showing, would also look good.

I am pleased with the red bars, with the black bar tape on they will look good. It could even go with white bar tape, but we all know this is for champions and not for Sunday recreational poseurs :lol:

Parts still to finish the build are:
Chain
Cables
Bar tape
Fork expander plug
Bottle cages
Pedals

Weight as pictured is 6.15Kg so it’s going to be near the 7Kg mark, just under I think?????

manne

by manne

Oh my god yes!

NGMN

by NGMN

not too shabby

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Very nice, but I think all black tires would make it even better. I love tan sidewalls, but I think it's one too many color in this case. :beerchug:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, I guess I'm going to have to be the dissenter on this one. Tan sidewalls are great in certain applications. But hideous on this one. Boras are too much for this build, but at least they're the dark label... perhaps with some black tires it will look better. I really don't like the red bars and I'm not a fan of both the 35's or the RHM bend. Tape will help it out aesthetically, and no I didn't know that white tape is only for champions. If it works best, use it. Or black. Regarding the RHM bend, I had a set of Deda Presas and becaise of the lack of a straight section in the drops I finally gave up on them and gave them to a friend for Christmas a year ago. 3T Rotundos for me. Or Deda Campione (but I'm not sure they're still making it which is a pity because it's my very favorite bar). But bar shape is a personal thing, so if you like the RHM, ok. The two tone saddle and stem are very distracting as well. Pick one, white or black.

As much as I liked this frame when I saw it in stand alone mode, I went through the same thing exactly. Red spoked Fulcrums (worse than than Boras aesthetically but great wheels). It is really hard to get a nice cohesive look with this frame but you have all the makings for it. And in a 57 sloping size. Very rare indeed. With so much colour going in the frameset I'll stick with my opinion that subdued components would complement it much better. It's a beautiful frame.

All stuff that can be fixed. However, maybe it's perfect in your eyes, and if so, then so be it. Enjoy! :beerchug:
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Lig

by Lig

Hi Calnago... blimey.... OK, i totally take on board what you are saying... regarding the tyres, the jury is out and i will try some all black. The bars and stem i like, I totally agree that hyperons/black stem/bars/saddle with traditional bend would be fitting on the frame, but i want it to be different.... I like the bars and stem and black bar tape will tone it down a bit. The saddle, yes agree also and may well change to the all black SLR - We will just have to see when its all built. But for me i think it will be just tyres and saddle that 'may' change.....

Cheers for your opinion though - all good stuff!!

Lig.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

All good, cheers... With black tape, black saddle and black tires the bike will take on a whole different look. It's a process, and a fun one.

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Looks fantastic just as it is! I can only hope that my new 'nago looks half as pretty!
My C50 currently looks like this:
I reckon the tan sidewalls on yours look ace!

Paul.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

Montana

by Montana

Calnago wrote:All good, cheers... With black tape, black saddle and black tires the bike will take on a whole different look. It's a process, and a fun one.

I second these thoughts. Very nice bike! I like Colnagos that let the frame be the focal point

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Calnago wrote:Or Deda Campione (but I'm not sure they're still making it which is a pity because it's my very favorite bar).

Hi Calnago,

Ribble has some 42s in stock, though you probably need wider bars.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... edahbas350

Lig

by Lig

Alight update.... just ordered some FMB SC tubs which will look better with just a pencil thin white line between rim and tyre...

Also Calnago - I have some Campione on my other bike, got them from here:

http://www.highonbikes.com/controls/han ... PgNzOhw1J4

Cheers,
Lig.

LVGH

by LVGH

Planet X has some Campiones quite cheap (GBP129.99)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com