Gaerne G. Chrono - opinions wanted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Thinking about getting these shoes. What do people think? How do they fit and hold? Thx
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

I haven't had a chance to ride them yet. Had planned to today but my knee had other ideas (Snowboarding injury).

What I can say is that they are very comfortable. Tried on a couple pairs before settling on these. Held my heel really well. I know they are not for hiking but there is something annoying about my heel lifting when I walk. Also, they fit small. Had to go up a size.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Thx. Sucks about the knee. Good info
I decided to order few pairs and try them out. It might be a good alternative to more expensive Sidis. I'll post some info after some time ripping in them.
Cheers
www.tiremaniacs.com

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Just got few sets of G. Chronos.
First impressions based on looks and craftsmanship - WHOW!!!!
Then the fit - superb. They size is very much like Sidis. I put Sidi Wire Carbon on one foot and G. Chrono on the other. Chronos not only are but felt lighter to the point I felt I had nothing on my foot.

Size 43 Wire - 1 shoe - 302 grams
Size 43 G. Chrono - 1 shoe - 272 grams

Very snaggy - Boa5 works and grabs perfectly. Heel cup and heel retention - very nice. Lower volume shoe than Wire carbons. They feel stiffer but still very comfy.
Overall I'd say that very close to Wire Carbon during the dry trial. I wonder what it's going to be like on the road and after many miles.

I decided to use these instead of Wire Carbons. A bit more unique look and a little less money.
www.tiremaniacs.com

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Ive had mine for about 6 months. They are white with black heel. They havent discolored at all yet which is a bit surpising since Ive ridden in all conditions. I find them quite comfortable and I do have picky feet. For example, I cant wear buckle shoes. Gaerne are known for a very good heel cup and craftsmanship. This shoe is a departure for them with more attention paid to weight. The sole is stiff but not rock solid, sort of like the sidi. Gaerne is one of the best made shoes out there and still made in Italy. Hope that helps.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I decided to use these instead of Wire Carbons. A bit more unique look and a little less money.

I'm convinced you'll like them even better once you've been using them for a while.

Gaerne are one of those lesser known companies with a big cycling history in case you didn't know. Similar to Vittoria (the shoe company, that is). AFAIK most of the top shoes at Gaerne are still being made in Italy.

Anyway, love to see some feedback on your new babes as I need a shoe with good heel support for next season. ;)

Ciao, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

I'll write few more comments after coming back from a winter camp in Maui 8) Till then.
www.tiremaniacs.com

fstanbury

by fstanbury

I got the Kona Carbon shoes last year, and they have served me well. They smell absolutely horrible now, but that is my own fault. The look, fit, and quality of these shoes are great.

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Quick Gaerne G. Chrono review:
Shoes were used for 4 days of riding on Maui. Nearly 300 miles of riding with over 20K ft elevation gain. First impression was – where are my shoes? They are incredibly light and snuggy with a glove like fit that the foot seems to be bolted to the pedal naked. Well, except you get incredible power transfer from the foot to the pedal. The full carbon sole is very stiff and with help of supplied by Gaerne friction pads and my Bike-Fit wedges I felt like no energy was wasted between the man and the machine. The shoes felt so non-existent that I initially thought they were not properly tighten. But they were – the Boa5 system makes it super easy to tighten and allowed me to tighten the uppers down much more than what is usually comfortable on other shoes – still no pressure points or any kind of discomfort. One thing I miss is the micro release mechanism available in S-Works (also Boa) and Sidi (their Tecno 3 buckles) – a pull of the Boa5 knob completely releases the tension requiring you to tighten properly again. Despite that the on-the-fly adjustments were super easy even in freezing winds of Haleakala. The synthetic upper was a big part of the snug fit – I found it to be one of the suppler materials I’ve worn. The shoes were also very well ventilated and breathability was superb. Occasionally I experience the burning sensation while riding in high heat but had not had this issue in Maui’s 85F. All the vents (in the sole, upper and tongue) and the breathable microfiber upper had to be working really well as my foot was nice and cool all the time. On the climbs there was no heel lifting at all: the carbon heel-cup and the spring-like U-Control Heel System was holding solidly and comfortably.
In summary, a superb fit, excellent performance, and lightweight plus an awesome look. It’s a keeper.
P.S. I am sort of like Sidi Wire size EUR 43.1 (if I were to ride in Wires I would go for 43 but 43.5 would not be bad either). The G. Chronos I have are 43 and I’d say they are a .1 size too large – so they run .2 size larger than Wires. But this really could be my imagination as I am being used to feel the shoe on my foot and Chronos are simply not felt.
www.tiremaniacs.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Just as I expected. Thank you MartinSL. :thumbup:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

yongkun

by yongkun

Any review on the Chronos?
Looking at a pair of carbon composite soles, but worried they are not stiff enough, given the soles are only 2mm thick.
how are the fit on the chronos, i am on Giro factor and trans, 45 and previously Sidi at 46.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

On the sidi sizing comparo, I'm 44.5 sidi, what'd I be in these then? Remember sidi half size has same sole as full size below, just a bigger upper w more room. Thx!

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

As mentioned above, for me they ran a tad small and I had to go up a size. Sole is very stiff. Don't let the 2 mm fool you.

I have been very happy with these shoes. After several weeks of use the build quality is apparent.

Cheers,

Horacio

by Horacio

I have both Chrono and Wires. I opted for the 43.5 in the Wire and 43 for the Chrono. The Chrono (off the bike) is a more comfortable shoe. The Sidi seems like a very stiff shoe as far as the upper goes. My scale says the Sidi is heavier by 20g per. I think I'll use the Chrono for double centries and the Sidi for shorter rides. I opted to keep both bc of the high visability of the Flo color on the wires. A good portion of my training rides are done solo, so I want to be more easily seen. Giro has an Aeon helmet that matches the color of the Sidi perfectly, so I think I've accomplised my goal. Lets just hope the Sidis stretch a bit in the upper. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90178027@N ... /lightbox/

First of all out of box they are incredible light, 308g size 47.
On the sizing side, they are almost identical do Specialized (have 2 pairs in 47). Spesh are more roomy in the front section. I have also Vittoria Unique in 47, but to get Chrono's snug fit it should be 46.5.
Chrono, as was mentioned above glove like fit with really exceptional comfort.
Very good finish, but that's something you would expect in this price range.