Lightweight Top Cap Expander Bolt for SuperSix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommasini

by tommasini

My opinion is for nearly all carbon forks you need a compression plug or something that acts similar....not just a top cap that is basically decoration (VF).

Remember that the idea is to help counter the compressive forces of the stem....thus the term compression plug. While the Tune gum-gum does fine to set headset pre-load the design also lacks much in the way of helping support the steerer from stem clamping forces.

My vote is be happy with a 10 gram solution.....get the ultrastar with light top cap/bolt of your choice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Thank you for the response! So, Mellowjohnny just measured the inside of his headtube and says it comes out to 21mm. The ultrastar 2 says that its only compatible with 23.3-25.2mm.

Is this right??? I thought for sure there were other Supersix owners who have used this plug. No?
Last edited by Bianchi10 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Just measured the I/D on my 2012 SuperSix steerer and it was 21mm. I had ordered a Hope Head Doctor which has an O/D of 22mm and of course it does not fit. I measured *after* I ordered it. :oops:

Measure before you buy.

mises

by mises

SL58 wrote:I am very fond of this device too:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... edge+clamp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you replace bolt with Alu. M6 it is lighter than GumGum.

I think most carbon fork manufacturers would veto that design and I wouldn't use it either.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

+1 on the Extralite, I use the Parts-Of-Passion top cap and alloy bolt for 11g total on a normal fork.
I found that other parts such as the GumGum just don't bite well.

The only thing lighter is the cap and bolt for my Storck fork, which has an integral carbon nut in the steerer.

tommasini

by tommasini

Bianchi10 wrote:Thank you for the response! So, Mellowjohnny just measured the inside of his headtube and says it comes out to 21mm. The ultrastar 2 says that its only compatible with 23.3-25.2mm.

Is this right??? I thought for sure there were other Supersix owners who have used this plug. No?

Bad news (well sorta) In that case I'd be putting the newly announced (page 2) Cannondale compression plug on the need-to-buy-and-try list before anything else.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

UpFromOne wrote:+1 on the Extralite, I use the Parts-Of-Passion top cap and alloy bolt for 11g total on a normal fork.
I found that other parts such as the GumGum just don't bite well.

The only thing lighter is the cap and bolt for my Storck fork, which has an integral carbon nut in the steerer.

What bike do you have?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I am running the extralite ultrastar 2 with hypercap - 9.9grams. It preloads headset. Enough said.

My bike in a cannondale evo btw.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

tommasini wrote:Bad news (well sorta) In that case I'd be putting the newly announced (page 2) Cannondale compression plug on the need-to-buy-and-try list before anything else.

My LBS' Cannondale rep gave them a "Spring" timeframe for availability on the new "Evo" compression plugs. I'm waiting.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

mellowJohnny wrote:
tommasini wrote:Bad news (well sorta) In that case I'd be putting the newly announced (page 2) Cannondale compression plug on the need-to-buy-and-try list before anything else.

My LBS' Cannondale rep gave them a "Spring" timeframe for availability on the new "Evo" compression plugs. I'm waiting.

I'm so confused here. Nifty is using the ultrastar In his evo. Isn't the evo headset the same size if not smaller?

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Regarding the new Cannondale expander, my local Cannondale rep also said a spring availability.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Bianchi10 wrote:
UpFromOne wrote:+1 on the Extralite, I use the Parts-Of-Passion top cap and alloy bolt for 11g total on a normal fork. I found that other parts such as the GumGum just don't bite well.

What bike do you have?

I'm a Storck maven. The "normal" fork referred to is a 23.5 mm ID steerer. The Ultrastar fits good.

+1 on 2011's Fiberlyte cap comment above, you can almost shave with it the edges are so sharp!

renoracing

by renoracing

Thanks for the update! I've been checking back with them every few days! Pleasantly surprised they got them in stock! Ordered one!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BobSantini

by BobSantini

The proper weenie solution is to make a flat carbon disc to fit the steerer, drill a hole in it and bond an aly nut to the underside and glue that into the steerer. It'd weigh next to nothing, support the steerer and provide something to screw into for adjusting bearing preload tension. You would only use a top cap screw and spacer for adjusting preload but you wouldn't leave it on the bike.
r o y g b i v