Compression Plugs With a Lip That Do Not Slip Down

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

The Enve compression plug has a lip so that when it is placed in the steerer it does not slip down, but I can't track one of these down for sale in Europe. Are there any others to a similar design with a lip? Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

the deda/columbus ones on this page...

http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/index.php?cat=4&sub=106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...i've got one, the lip is fairly thin, so it doesn't add much height at the top of the steerer, its long enough to give internal support over the whole length of a stem clamp

it's cheaper from wiggle...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-expander-bung/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you need to check the inside diameter of your steerer tube, i think the bung is 23.5mm minimum

boneman

by boneman

I use the Deda as well and agree with the other comments re: adequate support (length) and uniform expansion over its length. The one by KCNC is also worth looking for if it's available in Europe. I bought the Deda direct from a shop in the States. The KCNC can be found on EBay.
The facts, while interesting, are not relevant.......

Stuartclark1977

by Stuartclark1977

Valbrona, I have an Enve compression plug as described that I do not need, pm me your address and I'll drop you a jiffy bag with it in.

S

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Valbrona wrote:The Enve compression plug has a lip so that when it is placed in the steerer it does not slip down, but I can't track one of these down for sale in Europe. Are there any others to a similar design with a lip? Thanks.

Is this just for convenience sake or?
Can't help but notice that all of these are actually bung/expanders (who needs a stack of expanders anyway?) which are bound not to be all that light, you see.

Just for info, I'm using a true bung (which effectively prevents you from crushing a fork's steerer tube) made of carbon which, although a little old fashioned (read heavy) by design, does a very good job when combined with a lightweight expander.

I assume that when you state "that does not slip down" you mean it does not fall to the bottom of the steerer tube whenever you try to manipulate it in its unexpanded state, correct?

There are a few solutions (none of them 100% foolproof but still) that make it more difficult for the expander to drop : use of carbon paste (a la Dynamis/Tacx and consorts) and even simpler, tilt the bike so it's at roughly 90 degrees to the floor whilst due the manipulation.
None of those tips prevent anyone from losing the expander in the dark abyss of the steerer tube but they do help somewhat.

Ciao, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The ones specialized uses are pretty light, I want to say about 15g. Also pretty tall for good support, and it just plain works. Or you could get the new Cannondale one, apparently finally available. it has the top cap built in so you have to be doing something quite wrong to lose the bottom part in the steerer. It is also only 16g complete with top cap.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Stuartclark1977 wrote:Valbrona, I have an Enve compression plug as described that I do not need, pm me your address and I'll drop you a jiffy bag with it in.

S

That's very kind of you. However, I am not a person that can easily accept things for free, and instead of a lipped bung I have changed my mind and have just ordered a Hope Hed Doctor. I'll see how I get on with this rare piece of British engineering, but I am not that optimistic!

I have been using an FSA carbon compressor which works well - you can't really lose the bung in the steerer - but I have grown to dislike the big mushroom top cap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com