HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:39 pm
Posts: 266
Thanks for the detailed response tommasini. Much appreciated.

The wheelset is for a Scott Foil.

I think I'm convinced; I'm going with the Hyperons ! Another choice was the Mavic CCU but I want a wheelset that can be repaired.


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:38 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Posts: 3498
Location: Athens, Greece
On the other hand Bora would better match the Foil "aero" concept.

_________________
My 6696gr Cipollini Bond
My 8618gr Colnago Master X-light
My 9745gr Pinarello Dyna


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:45 pm
Posts: 3347
Location: Natovi Landing
For all round use - Boras

Hyperons are an aerodynamic disaster. High mountains only.

Bora rim shape is a bit dated - though still offers a decent aero benefit similar to C50s/Cosmic Carbones- but in other respects they are a supreme wheelset.

Rim on the Boras is pretty light for a 50mm rim also. Factor in the giant stickers and the difference is less than you might think ;-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:17 pm 
Offline
Tubbie Guru

Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:20 am
Posts: 5794
Location: Belgium
Hi,

Quote:
Rim on the Boras is pretty light for a 50mm rim also. Factor in the giant stickers and the difference is less than you might think


Absolutely.

If you compare a set of Neutrons to the Hyperons you'll notice that they're exactly the same bar for the carbon rims of the Hyperons. I.e. fatter spokes on the driveside of the rear wheel and the exact same number of spokes all in all as well.
IMO, given the far greater stiffness of the carbon rim, they (Campa) could have done away with at least four spokes on the FW. Instead of this rather silly cross driveside/radial non driveside configuration of the rear spoke pattern they could also have reduced the spoke count and opt for a more clever pattern such as 2:1 as used on the Fulcrum version.
That would have shaved at least 40g off the Hyperons without compromising stiffness IMHO.

Ciao, ;)

_________________
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:30 am
Posts: 72
Location: New York City
For foil, definitely Boras

I just bought me a pair of Bora One for my Colnago. They are very nice set of wheels...

_________________
------------------------------------------------
My Colnago EPS http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=83064&start=45


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:45 pm
Posts: 3347
Location: Natovi Landing
fdegrove wrote:
Hi,

Quote:
Rim on the Boras is pretty light for a 50mm rim also. Factor in the giant stickers and the difference is less than you might think


Absolutely.

If you compare a set of Neutrons to the Hyperons you'll notice that they're exactly the same bar for the carbon rims of the Hyperons. I.e. fatter spokes on the driveside of the rear wheel and the exact same number of spokes all in all as well.
IMO, given the far greater stiffness of the carbon rim, they (Campa) could have done away with at least four spokes on the FW. Instead of this rather silly cross driveside/radial non driveside configuration of the rear spoke pattern they could also have reduced the spoke count and opt for a more clever pattern such as 2:1 as used on the Fulcrum version.
That would have shaved at least 40g off the Hyperons without compromising stiffness IMHO.

Ciao, ;)



Interesting ... wld love Mr Campagnolo to come out with something along those lines:

- 16 spokes F, 24 max R
- 30 mm ish depth, wide smooth rim shape
- carbon hubshells, CULT bearings

... c.1200g.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:16 am 
Offline
Tubbie Guru

Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:20 am
Posts: 5794
Location: Belgium
Hi,

I'm sure you're not alone on that.
A temporary solution is to build something up along the lines of a Corima Viva rim and put big Campagnolo stickers on it.
Then go ride around in Vicenza with these. Hopefully they'll get the message...... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)

_________________
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:45 pm
Posts: 3347
Location: Natovi Landing
fdegrove wrote:
Hi,

I'm sure you're not alone on that.
A temporary solution is to build something up along the lines of a Corima Viva rim and put big Campagnolo stickers on it.
Then go ride around in Vicenza with these. Hopefully they'll get the message...... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)


LOL ... I'd rather not ride 202s but Campagnolo have effectively forced me into that compromise.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:39 pm
Posts: 266
I agree that the Bora (or the Mavic CCU) would look better than the Hyperons. The hyperons might look too small on the Foil. I was able to try a set of Bora (not the Ultra Two) and I liked them. I would really like to try a set of Hyperons but I don't know anyone who has them.

Big decision :|


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: euan, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Kumppa, martinko, physeter and 56 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. ax-lightness premium 38 vs new bora ultra 35?

in Road

cwoolee

4

457

Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:42 pm

jimborello View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Campagnolo Ultra-Fit

in Road

speedyvelo

1

280

Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:59 pm

5 8 5 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Token ceramic ultra replacement bearings

in Road

TomWhite59

1

242

Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:33 pm

Valbrona View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Campagnolo Ultra Torque fit to new AX Lightness Vial Evo

in Road

robhall2003

13

1118

Wed May 14, 2014 5:36 pm

robhall2003 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. What dimension circlip pliers for Ultra Torque?

in Road

mm1

2

310

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:33 pm

ghisallo2003 View the latest post


It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:28 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB