lightest brake hose/fittings

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mikesnowdon

by mikesnowdon

I run Hope Mono Minis (160/140). I really love the look of these brakes and wont be changing them. Would like to shave off a few grams though.

I got them secondhand and they came with 'Parker Polyflex' hose. I don't know if this is the standard hose supplied with the brakes from the Hope factory or not.

I have been thinking about upgrading to Goodridge hose mainly for the cool factor and that I can get the hose in white colour. However I just read that its allmost double the weight of the standard Hope hose. So, presuming that the Parker stuff I have is 'Standard Hope hose' I'd de taking a weight penalty for the sake of looks if I got the Goodridge.

So I basically just wanted to ask if anyone knows some weight of different manufacturers hose. Whats the lightest?

Also, how much weight can I expect to save by upgrading my standard Hope hose fitting for Goodridge alloy fittings?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

The main reason for upgrading to steelbraided hoses, such as Goodridge, is for the improved braking performance... so take in to calculation that it's not just about looks, you also gain more braking power and better modulation due to less flex in the brake hose.

mikesnowdon

by mikesnowdon

Thanks. I do know about that but looks and weight are my main concern.

From an aesthetic point of view I though White Goodridge hoses with gold alloy fittings along with white Goodridge cable housings plus gold fitting would look really cool. Now I realise that would mean a weight penalty so I'm looking for other options on white hose that's also light.

DMF

by DMF

It's not an uncommon practice to use shrink-tube over the regular brake hose/cable housing, the kind you otherwise use for covering the connections on electrical wires. It can be bought thru most major electronic hardware stores...

CGT

by CGT

mikesnowdon wrote:Thanks. I do know about that but looks and weight are my main concern.

From an aesthetic point of view I though White Goodridge hoses with gold alloy fittings along with white Goodridge cable housings plus gold fitting would look really cool. Now I realise that would mean a weight penalty so I'm looking for other options on white hose that's also light.

Go Yumeya!

mikesnowdon

by mikesnowdon

CGT wrote:
mikesnowdon wrote:Thanks. I do know about that but looks and weight are my main concern.

Go Yumeya!

I was just looking at the Yumeya website! It says its 10% lighter than Shimano SP41 housing. Would SP41 be the same as normal XTR/DA housing?

Anyone know the weight of Yumeya brake hose?

CGT

by CGT

SP41 is Dura Ace/XTR housing, correct. I think someone has posted weights of the Yumeya brake hose here, try to search.

mikesnowdon

by mikesnowdon

Tried a search but didnt find anything. I'll see what google brings.....

mikesnowdon

by mikesnowdon

Google brings nothing.

I'm surprised no-one has taken a closer look at hose and hose fittings to find the lightest parts. I see people counting the grames everywhere else on their bikes but there very little info on hose weights....

I have just learnt that Magura HS11 housing is only 13g/m which is very light but its designed for mineral oil. I dont know if it will be suitable for dot 5 fluid or withstand the pressure of disk brakes.

mikesnowdon

by mikesnowdon

Anyone got anything to add here?

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Hoses from Formula Oro brakes are lighter than R1 if not the lightest out there. Will have to weight my FRM hose.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

mikesnowdon

by mikesnowdon

Will have to weigh my FRM hose.

Loose the 'T' ;)

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to seeing the weights.

thisisnotaspoon

by thisisnotaspoon

Resurecting an old thread.

Split the standard hose on my hope X2's at the lever when the bars swing round in the boot.

What's cheep and light in the world of brake hoses. 'Stiff' would be nice too, but I'm unconvinced my old goodridge was that much better than stock. Not double the price and weight good anwyay.

Anyone tried superstar? £35 for hose and alloy fittings for both ends is probably as cheep as it gets, but the reviews are suspicioulsy good, and he's known for astroturfing and removing bad reviews.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

DMF wrote: you also gain more braking power ........ due to less flex in the brake hose.

Erm, no you don't simple physics, pressure at one end of the hose equals pressure at the other so no gain in brake power on a 1:1 system, with servowave you actually gain some power from having a flexible hose, I'll agree than on some Hope which have a poor design with 'negative servowave' then you may gain a small amount.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisnotaspoon

by thisisnotaspoon

I've never heard that criticism leveled at Hope, and quite happy with mine.

Although I'd refute your argument about it being simple physics. It is, but you're wrong :P. Imagine a big long rocky downhill track, with enough braking to give you some serious arm pump. Work done is force multiplied by distance, and braking power is proportional to force on the lever. So more squidge in the lever means more work is done by your fingers (force is the same for equal braking power, but the squidgy lever moves further). So the force might be the same but the work done is more. So if you applied the same work/energy to the brake lever you'd get more brakign power from stiffer hoses.

Not such an issue on an XC bike though where arm pump is rarely an issue.