Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:36 pm
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062


All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:39 pm
Posts: 299
Thanks for the detailed response tommasini. Much appreciated.

The wheelset is for a Scott Foil.

I think I'm convinced; I'm going with the Hyperons ! Another choice was the Mavic CCU but I want a wheelset that can be repaired.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Posts: 5499
Location: Athens, Greece
On the other hand Bora would better match the Foil "aero" concept.

_________________
My 6696gr Cipollini Bond
My 8618gr Colnago Master X-light


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:45 pm
Posts: 4045
Location: Natovi Landing
For all round use - Boras

Hyperons are an aerodynamic disaster. High mountains only.

Bora rim shape is a bit dated - though still offers a decent aero benefit similar to C50s/Cosmic Carbones- but in other respects they are a supreme wheelset.

Rim on the Boras is pretty light for a 50mm rim also. Factor in the giant stickers and the difference is less than you might think ;-)

_________________
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:17 pm 
Offline
Tubbie Guru

Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:20 am
Posts: 5850
Location: Belgium
Hi,

Quote:
Rim on the Boras is pretty light for a 50mm rim also. Factor in the giant stickers and the difference is less than you might think


Absolutely.

If you compare a set of Neutrons to the Hyperons you'll notice that they're exactly the same bar for the carbon rims of the Hyperons. I.e. fatter spokes on the driveside of the rear wheel and the exact same number of spokes all in all as well.
IMO, given the far greater stiffness of the carbon rim, they (Campa) could have done away with at least four spokes on the FW. Instead of this rather silly cross driveside/radial non driveside configuration of the rear spoke pattern they could also have reduced the spoke count and opt for a more clever pattern such as 2:1 as used on the Fulcrum version.
That would have shaved at least 40g off the Hyperons without compromising stiffness IMHO.

Ciao, ;)

_________________
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:30 am
Posts: 73
Location: New York City
For foil, definitely Boras

I just bought me a pair of Bora One for my Colnago. They are very nice set of wheels...

_________________
------------------------------------------------
My Colnago EPS http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=83064&start=45


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:45 pm
Posts: 4045
Location: Natovi Landing
fdegrove wrote:
Hi,

Quote:
Rim on the Boras is pretty light for a 50mm rim also. Factor in the giant stickers and the difference is less than you might think


Absolutely.

If you compare a set of Neutrons to the Hyperons you'll notice that they're exactly the same bar for the carbon rims of the Hyperons. I.e. fatter spokes on the driveside of the rear wheel and the exact same number of spokes all in all as well.
IMO, given the far greater stiffness of the carbon rim, they (Campa) could have done away with at least four spokes on the FW. Instead of this rather silly cross driveside/radial non driveside configuration of the rear spoke pattern they could also have reduced the spoke count and opt for a more clever pattern such as 2:1 as used on the Fulcrum version.
That would have shaved at least 40g off the Hyperons without compromising stiffness IMHO.

Ciao, ;)



Interesting ... wld love Mr Campagnolo to come out with something along those lines:

- 16 spokes F, 24 max R
- 30 mm ish depth, wide smooth rim shape
- carbon hubshells, CULT bearings

... c.1200g.

_________________
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:16 am 
Offline
Tubbie Guru

Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:20 am
Posts: 5850
Location: Belgium
Hi,

I'm sure you're not alone on that.
A temporary solution is to build something up along the lines of a Corima Viva rim and put big Campagnolo stickers on it.
Then go ride around in Vicenza with these. Hopefully they'll get the message...... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)

_________________
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:45 pm
Posts: 4045
Location: Natovi Landing
fdegrove wrote:
Hi,

I'm sure you're not alone on that.
A temporary solution is to build something up along the lines of a Corima Viva rim and put big Campagnolo stickers on it.
Then go ride around in Vicenza with these. Hopefully they'll get the message...... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)


LOL ... I'd rather not ride 202s but Campagnolo have effectively forced me into that compromise.

_________________
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:39 pm
Posts: 299
I agree that the Bora (or the Mavic CCU) would look better than the Hyperons. The hyperons might look too small on the Foil. I was able to try a set of Bora (not the Ultra Two) and I liked them. I would really like to try a set of Hyperons but I don't know anyone who has them.

Big decision :|


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Campagnolo Bora Ultra 35 question(s)

in Road

muntos

5

1546

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:53 am

muntos View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Campy Bora Ultra 50 / Fulcrum Racing Speed spokes/nipples

in Road

clm2206

6

518

Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:55 am

em3 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Bora 35mm One brand new - or - Bora 35mm Ultra used

in Road

ronderman

13

777

Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:08 am

spookyload View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Aircomp Ultra-Light

in Road

TarugoKing

11

618

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:17 pm

wheelsONfire View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Bullet Ultra Cult 50 feedback

in Road

novetan

7

1092

Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:29 am

tomyboy123 View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BRM, chalkie, djel, jmechy, Maelochs, tymon_tm and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited