THM Scapula F Aero Carbon Fork... anyone actually used one?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cheers!

by Cheers!

I'm curious to hear from the weight weenie community if anyone owns the THM Scapula F Aero Carbon Fork or have actually ridden one before.

At $1400 it is a big dollar item and I would love to hear people's real world opinion on it before contemplating one any further.

Thanks!

Sybarite

by Sybarite

Brake centering is tricky, braking is not bad, given that ithas leverage like a V-brake. Stiffness and steering/cornering/assurance are not better than the latest Enve or 3T, I didn't like the look in the end.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cheers!

by Cheers!

How is brake centering achieved?

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Hello, i have one on my Vamoots RSL.

The stiffness is great is far superior to any fork with 1 1/8, it's in par with most 1 1/5 forks.
Braking is great with the new swissstop prince on Mavic CCU.
About the looks, it looks great mine is black matt.

Best regards

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Any chance any of you guys have pictures of the fork installed on your bikes?

konky

by konky

storck 001 by storck4, on Flickr

A stunning bit of kit. As far as aesthetics are concerned the finish is exceptional. In a different league to Enve or 3T. I've not had any problem with centreing either. One problem I have encountered is adjusting cable length to tighten brakes when the adjuster barrel is fully extended. Very fiddly.

I love mine as part of a F0.6 which has hidden rear brakes also. Otherwise I don't think I'd buy one unless it really worked with another very high end build.

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

Wish they didnt half ass it. the aero they gained they gave a bunch back by not running the cable up the head tube.-David
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

elfuinha

by elfuinha

http://imageshack.us/a/img94/2757/dsc02694ua.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imageshack.us/a/img132/162/dsc02696z.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imageshack.us/a/img513/3640/dsc02697c.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imageshack.us/a/img152/9326/dsc02698u.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the only problem that i had, is a screaming brake at the front, but i didn't clean the rim yet, with soap and water to see if it past, but it brakes great.

At the beginning of next month, it will be also used with a Lightweight Meilenstein T 20/20, with no logos as a 2nd pair of wheels.

hope this helps.

what build are you consedering this fork????

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Wow. Those are some beautiful bikes you guys have posted.

I'm thinking of a custom frame made out of Reynolds 953.

I'm hesitating because I want to see where disc brakes goes for road bikes. If it does happen and the major component manufacturers release hydraulic shift/brake levers then I would want to go that route.

Which then begs the question what rear spacing will road bikes use... 130mm or 135mm...

This Reynolds 953 based bike would be a long time keeper and I want it to support disc brakes if discount brakes proliferate.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Cheers! wrote:I'm thinking of a custom frame made out of Reynolds 953.

if i was to bought an other frame for a new build would be a:

KVA Stainless Steel (wicht is cheaper and also very good), with the same PFBB30, and a 44mm Headtube.
But the same geometry as the moots, and the same biuld that i have.

You know disc road bikes will be allways more heavy than rim brakes.

choose well, you can't go wrong either way.

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

I have two sets of Scapula F - one on a road bike, another on a TT bike. Modulation and braking power is reassuring. My LBS told me that there are different thickness for the carbon brake leaves available to allow for wheel centering if necessary.

Brake clearance is limited though compared to normal brakes. I had to actually file my brake blocks down to accommodate wider rims like the Zipp Firecrest designs! Other rims including the slightly wider Lightweight Fernweg are ok.

elfuinha - you mentioned that you will be pairing with the Lightweight Meilenstein soon. When I bought my Meilenstein Obermayers (and another pair of Lightweight Fernweg), there was a note from Lightweight that special LW brake blocks designed for the Scapula F-Mielenstein combo should be used because the rim design is different. These are different from the normal Lightweight brake blocks (which can be used for the current Lightweight Gen 3).
Current Bikes: S-Works Venge 7.3kg
Storck F.3 5.5kg
Colnago Concept Art Deco CHDK 7/6.5kg
Collection: Team Ti Raleigh 753 Vintage Campy
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Discoverspeed wrote:I have two sets of Scapula F - one on a road bike, another on a TT bike. Modulation and braking power is reassuring. My LBS told me that there are different thickness for the carbon brake leaves available to allow for wheel centering if necessary.

Brake clearance is limited though compared to normal brakes. I had to actually file my brake blocks down to accommodate wider rims like the Zipp Firecrest designs! Other rims including the slightly wider Lightweight Fernweg are ok.

elfuinha - you mentioned that you will be pairing with the Lightweight Meilenstein soon. When I bought my Meilenstein Obermayers (and another pair of Lightweight Fernweg), there was a note from Lightweight that special LW brake blocks designed for the Scapula F-Mielenstein combo should be used because the rim design is different. These are different from the normal Lightweight brake blocks (which can be used for the current Lightweight Gen 3).

Thanks for that note, but if you read the note from Thm, the LW MY2013, don't have thst problem.
Best Regards

konky

by konky

I have a pair of the new MY2013 47.5mm tubular Meilenstein wheels. I'm running Swissstop made Zipp Tangente pads. The colour is perfect on my F0.6 and they work better than anything else I've tried. They seem softer than the usual Swissstop yellows which improves modulation with the Scapula brakes.

Glad to hear the newest Lightweights don't need the special pads.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

konky wrote:I have a pair of the new MY2013 47.5mm tubular Meilenstein wheels. I'm running Swissstop made Zipp Tangente pads. The colour is perfect on my F0.6 and they work better than anything else I've tried. They seem softer than the usual Swissstop yellows which improves modulation with the Scapula brakes.

Glad to hear the newest Lightweights don't need the special pads.

Try also Swissstop Black Prince, I'm using them, lots of power and modulation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com