De Rosa Protos

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

I think I've just about optimized my current ride -- it's a Time RXR VIP weighing in at about 13lbs. Looking to start a new project -- frames in mind are (were) Storck Fascenario 0.6 and the Cervelo R5CA. Now including the De Rosa Protos into the mix (had a De Rosa steel frame back in the 90s and it was a great frame).

Just wondering if any De Rosa afficianados can share experiences? Many thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elviento

by elviento

My LBS has one on display and it does look nicer than online pics. I did go "nice...." but not "wow..." Handled it a bit and did a short spin. Felt solid.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

Frans

by Frans

What model year are you thinking of? a '13? http://www.derosanews.com/modules/Downl ... 013_hi.pdf

It's stunning in black/grey/red. And it doesn't have an ISP. ISPs look great and transmit a nice amount of road buzz (I have a 07 TCR advanced) but they suck for airplanes.

If you have the cash I'd love to read about DeRosa project. They are too few IMO.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

elviento wrote:My LBS has one on display and it does look nicer than online pics. I did go "nice...." but not "wow..." Handled it a bit and did a short spin. Felt solid.

Haven't seen one in person -- how does it stack up against it's Italian rivals, i.e., Pina and Colnago?

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Frans wrote:What model year are you thinking of? a '13? http://www.derosanews.com/modules/Downl ... 013_hi.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's stunning in black/grey/red. And it doesn't have an ISP. ISPs look great and transmit a nice amount of road buzz (I have a 07 TCR advanced) but they suck for airplanes.

If you have the cash I'd love to read about DeRosa project. They are too few IMO.

Thanks -- what is an ISP? I've seen (but not ridden) a King RS and thought it was top notch. Just wondering if the Protos is worth the extra $$ over the RS.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Integrated Seat Post

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

mellowJohnny wrote:Integrated Seat Post

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elviento

by elviento

Well, personally I like Pinarello and Colnago but on ww they are often criticized for being heavier than most other high end frames, which is understandable. LOL

Having owned a King and a Dual in the past, I like De Rosa a lot as well. However, they have had a period of confusion with styling over the years (the Tango was hideous and still safely on the top of my ugliest bike of all time list, the 838 was a China factory model, which wasn't a very "Italian" thing to do), and they have been trying to catch the breakaway, so to speak. The Protos is much better than before IMHO. That said, I am still not exactly sure what it tries to achieve from a styling perspective. It also could be a bit chuncky if you ride a smaller size than 55.

Pinarello and Colnago, on the other hand, are both very distinctive in their styling, whether you love it or hate it.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal