BB30 threaded cups for BSA frame---I've searched

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bricky21

by bricky21

Just as I suspected. That guy doesn't really know what BB30 is. BB30 and BSA have the same width shell 68mm. It's good that he will take them back but you are wasting your time.

BB30 Technical drawing from Cannondale
BB30 spec sheet Cannondale.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

The btm bracket in question can be used with ZIPP Vuma Quads.

ms6073

by ms6073

Yes, but that is because the Vumaquad crank has a longer spindle - sort of a precursor to BBRight/EVO386 - than cranksets that were manufactured to conform to the BB30 standard.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

eric

by eric

There's a number of companies that use the same BB cups. Lightning, Rotor are a couple. They use the same bearings as BB30- 6803- with a 30mm ID. But since they are outboard of the BSA shell, the width is greater than true BB30. Some "BB30" cranks have a long enough spindle so that they'll fit. But then they don't have the nice heel clearance of a real BB30 crank.

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

ms6073 wrote:Yes, but that is because the Vumaquad crank has a longer spindle - sort of a precursor to BBRight/EVO386 - than cranksets that were manufactured to conform to the BB30 standard.

I'm fully aware of that. Thus my post.
I wasn't saying the ZIPP is a BB30 crank. It has a 30mm spindle, that's where the similarity ends.

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

When looking at the Bdop Cycling web site there is quite a bit of info describing that a long spindle is needed to use that btm brkt.

Each cup adds roughly 10mm in width which means your crank axle must be at least 88mm long > 68mm +10mm+10mm=88mm.

I suppose that info wasn't there when the O.P. was making his initial hunt.

Seems like some of the "purists" here, (and maybe I'm one of them) is getting hung up about the true definition of a BB30 crank set. I ride Cannondale and BB30. I tend to believe that to use that label your crank set better be able to fit in the traditional (68)mm OR (73)mm wide MTB shell. If you're crank spindle is so long that it uses outboard bearings then I consider it incorrect to call the crank set a BB30 crank.

So if your bike has a shell that is; BB30 / PF30 / Specialized 2013 OSB with NO outboard bearings, call it BB30.

The term has been bastardized by so many vendors who want to use the term.

Speaking of Specialized, what's up with them for 2013? The tech in my LBS said the shell in the 2013 Tarmac is slightly different than the normal PF30 inside diam. He said it was changed to a standard inside diameter dimension that is NOT PF30.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Sorry for the grave dig but has anyone here had any experience with the First Components BSA to BB30 adapter? Looking for other options other than the Rotor version, of these cups.

Thanks

AFA

by AFA

I don't have any experience with their BB30 adapter, but I do have their BB Tool kit which is excellent, if their other products are of the same quality you won't be disappointed. A couple other options for a BB30 adapter are FSA MegaEVO (steel and ceramic) and Enduro (steel angular contact and several grades of ceramic).

ms6073

by ms6073

Fixie82 wrote:Sorry for the grave dig but has anyone here had any experience with the First Components BSA to BB30 adapter? Looking for other options other than the Rotor version, of these cups.
So which crankset are you trying to adapt to a BSA bottom bracket? Sorry to sound harsh but did you actually read through this entire thread? As already covered in this and many other threads, regardless of spindle length, those adapters more than likely will not work for what has been termed a 'true' BB30 cranks (i.e. Cannondale Hollowgram - been there, done that, doesn't)! Unlike a BB386/BBRight/BB386, the spider of 'true' BB30 cranks like the Cannondale Hollowgram, lack sufficient offset so while a longer spindle will allow you to install the crank, the lack of offset means that the longer spindle will simply move the chainrings further away from the bottom bracket which effectively puts the small chainring in alignment with were the large chainring should be. Based on personal experience with a Cannondale Hollowgram SRM and the Rotor BSA30 bearing cups, the only way I can see this working would be to mill/machine down at a minimum ~5mm from each side of the bottom bracket shell face in order to assure the correct chainline is maintained.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Fixie82

by Fixie82

ms6073 - thanks for checking in, wanting to use a Rotor 3D+ crankset with a BSA frame, sorry about that should have been clearer about my intention. Not wanting to run a BB30 crank at all, as like you I am acutely aware that it is not possible.

Was simply doing some homework on other options apart from the Rotor cups before purchasing.

AFA - Thanks for the info, I think I may give these guys a try as I can get one in the colour I would like :mrgreen:

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Just to add some information for others searching for BSA to BB30 adaptors/BB's I purchased the first components cups from BDOP Cycling, postage was very quick and the item was well packaged in a box and the cups were separated from each other to prevent transit damage. The supplied tool is solid and fit tolerance is excellent, as with everything metal on metal may scratch/mark the BB cups but I am not 100% as I haven't installed as yet.

The cups themselves are of an excellent finish with no blemishes and the bearings feel smooth and run freely. Cups are also supplied with a light coating of locktite. No spacers were supplied. All up would recommend and they have an excellent colour selection.

WP_001297 by Fixie82, on Flickr

WP_001298 by Fixie82, on Flickr