Tapeworm’s Log to Esteemed Masters Mediocrity

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

liam7020

by liam7020

Can I ask what's your previous best times for TTs - for example 25mls (40kms) etc?
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Well most of the courses I've been on few have ever been a true 40 or a true 16 etc etc, so I'll go with average speed. The closest was 40.8km, on which my best speed was 41.28kph.

However this was before POWAH. Shortly after this TT I got on board the "power train" training and actually started assessing my training and load in some vague sense of structure. Result of this was a couple months later I hit 41.37... for an 80km TT. Faster over double the distance, I'll take that. Other times won't sound as impressive as they were undulating terrain etc. The 80kph also saw probably the best optimisation of equipment and training I had at the time - Sub 9 disc, 808 front, and Oval aero bars (since banned). FTP at the time was about 285. I then got a coach and in Feb 2010 it was about 315, so probably could have improved the below times I would hope. My cycling then declined from there - work, another kid, blah blah blah. Did do one TT at the end of 2011 with one month of training or so - 253 watts and 39.5kph.

Best speeds over approximate distances:-
16km - 43.22kph
20km - 40.41kph
40km - 41.28kph
80km - 41.37kph
160km - 36.5kph

Not bad, but not excellent either. To not embarrass myself at Nationals I'll need to average about 45kph. One advantage I have as alluded to earlier is that I can get low and field testing would indicate my CdA is about 0.230 or so. Which is good but, again, may be improved.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Interesting thread to follow and see your progress, especially as I'm a TTer with nearly exacly the same stats:- the same height, 320W peak 20min CP, CdA about 0.235, and on a 51cm Cervelo :shock:

darkblue08

by darkblue08

Interesting thread. :goodpost: Always fun to follow other riders training.

You training volume seem extremely low. Do you plan to extend the training volume over time?

Consider the training volume, your training seem very easy. Normally a time crunched training plan focus on higher intensity. I would recommend to remove all Z1 expect for rest periods between intervals. Normally you should be able to maintain Z2 even for long rides, even during early base training.

Do you have a public training log, like trainingpeaks?

How do you calculate your CdA :smartass: ? Can you calculate it from a 30 km TT, that is an out-and-back ride, if you have the power data?

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

@darkblue
No, volume will not dramatically increase at any time. I may do some big kms if on holiday because I'll actually have the time, otherwise this will not dramatically change. As for the intensity I keep it at Z1* for a reason. It may sneak up to Z2 (like on Saturday, need more gears for hills!) but the intent is Z1. It seem stupid slow at times, and I remember voicing my objection at the time when I was being coached but I relented and Lo! Was a little surprised at the improvement. And I assure you the 2x20mins and 3x3mins will be enough to stimulate an adaptation. And, as stated, when it doesn't - then I switch to more detailed programming. I predict 3-4months for this to occur. When I do switch I will introduce more intervals in a structured mirco cycle ensuring adequate rest and the adaptation occurs. Gross volume will not move much - I simply do not have the time. Part of the point of this log to to perhaps experiment/demonstrate how relevant the volume/intensity relationship bares out for me at the very least.

No public training log, this is it here.

CdA was done with the help of those more knowledgable than me in such things and involved multiple runs with a power meter in a velodrome. Outside of a wind tunnel it's in the ballpark at least. When I get the new rig and am happy with A position I'll do more testing to see how I fair in this regard. As mentioned I am throwing the "standard" TT fitting out the window and starting afresh. Time will tell if this is a really stupid move or not.

Also just found out there's a club TT in late Feb - hope to have the P3 by then for its first maiden outing!

* I forgot to clarify, yes I am using the Coggan effort zone descriptions.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

KWalker

by KWalker

Best of luck!
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

paddydog

by paddydog

HiYaaa...
Attachments
juji.jpg
juji.jpg (2.54 KiB) Viewed 3511 times

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

devinci

by devinci

that video is hilarious

god I love the simpsons

g_doraz

by g_doraz

Love this thread...keep it going!
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Week 2:

And again changes to the general plan. This week was a bit of a pain with work actually.

Monday: 30sec intervals. Managed 4x30sec, then due to terrain, traffic lights etc then did 2x30sec and then 3x30sec and 1x30sec. Averaging about 500 watts.

Tues: Testing day (originally supposed to be on Monday). 20mins - 237watts. And was supposed to do a second 20mins but was running out of time so only did a 5min - 268 watts. Also did BJJ in the afternoon and sweated about 2 litres worth.

Wed: Was travelling so had to used a crappy gym. Did some deadlifts and power cleans (mainly for fun) and then 20min tempo on some go awful "exercise bike" which no matter which setting it was on it was like cycling through treacle. The bike told me 205watts, felt like I was cooking, no airflow in the gym HR 166.

Thurs: Rest day.

Fri: Weights - squat and OHP. 3 x 3mins on a spin bike. HR was 166, 169, 171 (only metric I had for these).

Sat: Long easy ride with 2 x hill climbs for approx ~ 11mins at 246 and 249 watts. Avg for ride 2hrs 13min, 127 watts.

Sun: Plan to do some "easy" BJJ, that's it.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Week 3:

Again more changes from the "plan". Training really gets interrupted by this "life thing" (especially when they are two small life things under the age of 5).

Mon: Weights (managed a PB on the power clean - finally at body weight). Then 4x30sec ~500watts. Went for the second set but went a little too hard for the first set (1000watts for the first 10sec) and with the ~35 degree heat I was seeing lunch again. Here endeth the session :evil:

Tue: 1x20min - 230 watts.

Wednesday - Weights. Easy spin 60mins 90watts avg.

Thurs - Had a day off so went for a long one - 3hr20mins - 109 avg watts with one 9min effort at 274 watts.

Fri - Rest day.

Sat - Long one 2hrs 23mins - avg 168.

Tomorrow - rest or some BJJ rolling.

Bought a new mountain bike yesterday. Time to hit some trails too. Will post it once suitably tuned for the WW crowd. Powertap already fitted ;)

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Keep it up Mr Worm :-)

In my opinion, the big interference called "life" plays a bigger part in most of our lives/ training regime than we care to admit.
It will be interesting at the end how you've managed to adapt to all the booby traps its put in your way..

:thumbup:
Official cafe stop tester

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I like this thread. It's motivational and I really like the sound of aspiring to "Esteemed Masters Mediocrity". So much so that I think I'm going to join in the program. Off I go... after I finish my coffee :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cheetahmk7

by Cheetahmk7

I'm rather surpised at how quick you go on a TT bike. This is given that I'm 177cm, 71kg with an FTP of 280 watts and I'm able to ride in a reasonably aggressive position, yet my goal is just to break the 40km/h barrier in a TT.

Will racing handicaps fit into your training plan? We usually have quite a few Canberra boys and girls come across to do the Tour de Riverina as well as the various opens we have in the Riverina.