Oslo in May

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Bigmountain

by Bigmountain

I plan to spend the month of May in Oslo on business. I am bringing my bike and looking for people to ride with. I live and ride in the mountains in the western US. Does anyone know of group rides, team rides, or rides organized by bike shops? Thanks.

erty65

by erty65

Ask on this forum. Or e-mail someone here(IF Frøy, a local club). Or contact local club "Sportsklubben Rye" here. Or local club "Idrettsklubben Hero" here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aerozy

by aerozy

Im living in Oslo so drop me a link when your here. I'll be happy to show you the best routes.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

djm

by djm

Let me know too! I can show you around with aerozy.

Almost all of the clubs are preparing for the big team time trial from Trondheim to Oslo in June at that time of year. Elite riders are most likely preparing for nationals and doing the cup/ranking races.

Marwin3000
Shop Wrench

by Marwin3000

Roadbike? I'm in Oslo! I'm down for a ride when ever, let me know!

Bigmountain

by Bigmountain

Thanks for the replies and I will be in touch.

Bigmountain

by Bigmountain

Hi Guys,

I will arrive in Oslo in early May for a month and have some questions. First, can you give me a sense of the weather in May and early June in terms of what clothes to bring for cycling (40 to 60 with rain?). Second, can you recommend a few bike shops if I decide to rent a road bike for a month instead of bringing my own bike which is expensive/hastle (I will be staying near Slottsparken). Third, what is the riding like from the Slottsparken area, do most cyclists take a bus/tram to get out of town or do they ride? Finally, what gears are you riding (53/39 and 25/11)?

Thanks

Marwin3000
Shop Wrench

by Marwin3000

It can be quite chilly! I don't really get cold that easy, but I would bring a gilet/jacket, loose arms, maybe some wool jerseys! I gets cold in the evening.
From Slottsparken you got easy acces to all the good routes, no need for bus of tram. I live near by that area and I ride out of town. I ride a 52/36 with a 11/28 right now but 11/25 will do fine. Can't help you with bike rentals, don't really know any places.

djm

by djm

There is a Giant dealer/"flagship" store in Drammen (20 mins train?) which I believe rents out road bikes should you be unable to find someone in Oslo.

http://www.giantdrammen.no/utleie/index.html

Bear in mind, prices are Norwegian but at least it is a presumably hassle free way of getting ahold of a bike. You could take the train to Drammen and ride back to Oslo, and return it the same way. Be sure to bring a map or a GPS enabled phone in order to avoid the highway and not to get lost :-)

Bigmountain

by Bigmountain

Hi Guys,

Arrived and ready to ride but I cannot get my bike until Sunday evening. Any suggestions to rent a bike for Sat to Sunday, I ride 53 CM top tube and I am staying near the Slottsparken. I have my own pedals. I will contact the giant dealer again listed above. Otherwise, next week. What time do you usually ride and where do you meet?

Thanks

Bigmountain

by Bigmountain

Can anyone ride on Saturday?

LittleVee

by LittleVee

You know the Tour of Norway is on right now? You getting out to see any of it?

djm

by djm

Bigmountain, sent you a message! :-)

Let me know!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com