Stoked! Exp001 - 5671g/12.47lb

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

r300

by r300

Really great bike, which I am certainly taking inspiration from. One thing I was wondering about was the omni seat post. I have found them on ebay, I was just wondering how you went about removing the logos, did you completely remove the lacquer and if so what did you refinish the post with?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks!

Logos were sanded off with 400grit sand paper, and they went rather quickly. Then followed with very quick sands of 600, then 800 to make the sanding marks more finite. After that the whole post was sanded down to matte finish using 3M's 026201 Sanding Pads.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

r300

by r300

Thanks for the reply. When you had finished with the 3M sanding pad, did you then matt clearcoat the post?

tod

by tod

This is absolutely fantastic. Very creative and I love the accents. You have some talent!

kac

by kac

I'm very late to this thread, but I'll add to the chorus of accolades over this bike. I'm especially impressed with the logic behind the machine and the inventive, novel, individual touches: a fine package. Congratulations on this one!

KAC

jvanv8

by jvanv8

By page 5, I may be beating the band on the accolades but this is a great build. Smart where it needs to be, pushing limits where it can.
How is the SMUD saddle working out? It looks to be a budget friendly version of the MCFK saddle with a few mm differences.
The exogram crank (among numerous other pieces of this build) appears to be a great value/performance choice. Nice to see the improved Q factor and weight vs the older Reds. What was your method to remove the decals?
I know the non-black items are being pointed out in one way or another on this thread but I think it adds a nice bit of character.
Charcoal black + a bit of hotness reminds me of hot coals ready to burst into flames.

Nice photo-shoot location too!
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate that!

I absolutely love the SMUD saddle, already ordered a second as backup (and for another bike) and I'm confident in its quality. Premium stuff!

The cranks:
Basically for what I did it was sanding -> lots of patience -> 2k clearcoat (light) -> Opti-clear.

I started off the 320grit wet sand paper, then as I started to rub off decals I switched to 400. Shortly after the decals were removed I moved on to 600, then 800. By this time I'm down to the bare carbon (I'm sanding everywhere). Be careful not to sand too much near the axle or the pedal threads as the carbon layers are thinner on the edges and you'll go right through them, making the interface look uneven.

After that I got a hold of some spray can 2K clearcoat from an auto paint supply shop and applied a very light coat because I wanted the clear coat physical protection. Optionally you can just apply Opti-clear or 303 Spray for an ultra-thin UV-only protectant from there, but I wanted a little physical protection as well. After the 2K dried, a lightly sanded it smooth with an ultra fine steel wool pad (very lightly!) and then applied the opti-clear for the permanent UV protection. Plus I was applying Opti-clear to all the other parts on my bike so I wanted to be sure that everything got the same treatment.

benolium

by benolium

Sweet Jesus, that's sick

Phill P

by Phill P

Nice work. Really nice
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Great build Prend, it seems the Uno Stem is bargain of the century at $20. Did you acetone off the logo's? just picking one up on ebay today......

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes, acetone will take the logs right off!

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Prend, I keep coming back to your build for inspiration longer term. Unless I missed something can you tell me about the bars? Where did you source, How'd you like them? cheers..

bobqzzi

by bobqzzi

Really like this bike

kac

by kac

PF,
I've re-read your original posting and noted your reference to letterhead, etc. Are you perhaps planning commercial sale of bikes like this one?

Thx,
KAC

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

KAC,

Yes, at some point eventually. For now Stoked! might be limited to components and smaller parts just do to limited capital to get things launched. I've been working with a friend on a few things, and working on other components solo. Hopefully we'll have something to the market by the end of the year (it's a slow, back burner type project for now).

... Then, eventually we'd love to buy a laser sintering machine, a loom, a 4x8 large bed laser cutter, and a big ol'autoclave. We've got ideas. ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com