Planet X brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ElNotorio

by ElNotorio

cwilli15 wrote:27.5mm wheel width.

I think if you move the spacers on the pad shoes from the inside of the arms to the outside (worth about 4mm of clearance) then you should be able to get them to work no problem. They might even work without doing that.

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

cwilli15 wrote:27.5mm wheel width.

They are that wide at the brake track, or at the widest point?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cwilli15

by cwilli15

brake track, which is basically the widest point.

1spd

by 1spd

Well, the lack of a quick release means nothing to me since I run Campy (campy calipers don't have qr's either) so this would work just fine! Might be putting my Records up for sale here and pick up a set of these.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

I just got a set of Planet X brakes from the US headquarter warehouse. I had been researching these brakes for a long time but didn't feel confident ordering them without feeling or testing them first. Through this forum I found out that they were based in Portland, OR which is about 15 miles form where I live. I went down, tested them and liked them. I told the tech that I did not want a dual color though (Original black set is black with a red cam arm). She had a set that she dismantled earlier and said she could put the black cam arm for me which would give me what I was looking for. She also threw on the green swiss stop pads instead of the stock pads that come with them. They were SUPER friendly and wanted to go the extra mile to help me. I told her that I had read about these brakes being difficult to center/install correctly. She said she would install them for me if I needed her to, so I ran home and got my bike. Brought it back and she took it to the back room and set it up. She was very detailed with the install and adjustments. She also took the time to true my rear wheel :thumbup: The quick release seems to have been such a big issue that i thought i would clear the air and tell you it isn't difficult at all. I took some pictures and posted below to show you the process. Literally takes 3 seconds. With a correct set up and green swiss stops, they feel just like my ultegra 6700 calipers.

Here are some pictures of the brakes and some pictures of how to use the quick release.

Here are a couple pictures that will hopefully help give you an idea how to use the planet X quick release

There is a Cam arm that lifts. The cable has a "stopper" attached to it that fits under the cam arm.

Pull up on the cam arm and push down on the "stopper"

madmole

by madmole

In UK they come with Swissstop Greens as standard
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

madmole wrote:In UK they come with Swissstop Greens as standard

Yeah they told me that. She had to dig for a set that had the swiss stops at which point she just swapped them for me.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I didn't realize they even had the brakes in stock locally. Looks like I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

Any chance they matched the current website price?

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Yes they did. i got mine for $109. They are located at 57 NE Hancock st. which is Directly behind broadway toyota which is near the roase garden. (hancock runs parallel to broadway)

If you do go in, can you tell them that I sent you in? just say the Red Bull guy informed you. :thumbup:

EDIT: just looked and they are only open M-F 9-5

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Ah, it'll have to be another time then.

Sure thing, Redbullguy!

Velofreak

by Velofreak

Bianchi10 wrote:Yes they did. i got mine for $109. They are located at 57 NE Hancock st. which is Directly behind broadway toyota which is near the roase garden. (hancock runs parallel to broadway)

If you do go in, can you tell them that I sent you in? just say the Red Bull guy informed you. :thumbup:

EDIT: just looked and they are only open M-F 9-5

109$ only front and rear?

those green swisstop pads have lot of power, but i've heard they eat aluminium too fast. they are good for ceramic rims, but for standard aluminium rims it will decrease the life of your rims.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

$109 for everything

BobSantini

by BobSantini

Bianchi10 wrote:Image

I see the cable clamp will knacker the cable even when installed by an expert.
On mine I took the sharp edges off the grub screw but I couldn't get at the internal sharp edges.
It works though. Just have to be careful installing cables.
r o y g b i v

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

:shock: no powercordzzz!!!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Takes time and money. I will change out cables soon enough