Tapeworm’s Log to Esteemed Masters Mediocrity

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Hello Fellow Aero-Weenie,

So… you want to be a time trialist?

I am writing this log for a couple of reasons. One, to have some form of accountability to… random people on the net. Second, as a potential resource for those other time-crunched Masters out there juggling family, work and TdF aspirations.

My goals are essentially all time trials, 40km or less. I will do all the racing I can (even my hated crits) but I don’t like riding with people, let alone race with them, so in said races I’m off the front or out the back. The first major race is the National Masters TT Champs in October this year. That is the prime target. This will give me a solid benchmark for the following year. In 2014 the UCI Masters TT Champs in Western Australia will be the next goal as well as reclaiming a TT title I lost in 2012 due to aforementioned lack of riding.

Training.

KISS principle applies. I am not starting from scratch per se, I have kept a good level of fitness for a while especially with the BJJ (which I still plan to compete in) however my riding volume to date is negligible. The strength and conditioning is there mainly for work and the BJJ and hence will only be dropped a couple of weeks from the main event.

My training will consist of the following format:-

Mon – 2x20mins /alt week/ First effort is max effort as a FTP test.
Tues – S&C / 4x30sec intervals / BJJ training.
Wed – 1-2hrs easy ride.
Thurs – S&C 3x3mins.
Fri – Rest
Sat – Long ride inc short hills/ alt week / rest.
Sun – Short easy ride/BJJ training.

This training stays as is until I fail to improve the 20min power test twice in a row (obvious detriments notwithstanding – lack of sleep, illness etc). When progress has stalled more complex programming will be introduced. Generally I would be surprised if I actually fulfil a full week of this programming – too many other interruptions but failure to plan is planning to fail.

Additionally - specificity reigns. All efforts are either in the TT position or on the drops on the roadie – as I don’t race any other way. When I am piddling around in Z1 then I’ll use the hoods and then only.

I’ll try to update the log every Sunday give or take. Feel free to post questions, deriding comments or general banter.

First log entry this Sunday!

TW out.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Privateer

by Privateer

I'll follow this with interest, but I do need a little help with your acronyms. BJJ? S&C?

Also, could you give us some baseline data? Masters category? Height and weight? Current FTP? PB TT speeds?

And, of course, equipment :)

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Ah! Knew I'd forgotten something.

Baseline data, equipment etc will be contained in the first log post (watts, w/kilo, estimated CdA etc).

BJJ - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - choking people is fun.
S&C - Strength and conditioning. Stats for this will be also listed in the updates.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Actually, I have the time now so will do the starting baselines now.

Weight: 81.5 (averaged first thing morning and evening over 7 days).
Height: 180cm (hopefully not subject to change).

Current power stats:-
5min power: 307 watts (3.7 watts/kilo)
20min power: 228 watts (2.79 w/kg)
5 sec power: 1300 something, actually I don't really care, this won't really be tested in future. May come up in races.

And for those who lift:-
1RM
Squat (low bar style, below parallel of course) - 142.5kgs
Deadlift - 167.5kgs
Standing overhead press - 70kgs

I expect these to drop a tad, but hopefully not too much.

Currently using a CAAD 8 with Dura-Ace 7800, FSA Gossamer SRM. Also have some generic track bike with aero bars and a Giant XTC01 mtb for "other riding". Have rollers, wind trainer and Tacx Fortius to sate my indoor training needs.

TT bike in the process of being obtained is a 2012 Cevelo P3 51cm. Now normally this would be "too small" for someone of my height however I have never fit well on a TT bike. My last was a BMC TT02 54cm which I ran an adjustable stem slammed all the way down... it wasn't low enough. Last Retul fitting session estimated I could drop another 1-2cm (would be on par with DaveZ for the shoulder/hip drop :thumbup: ). So with some trialling in shops I think the 51cm and a good aero bar and spacers and it should be a win. I will also be aiming for a Zipp 808 Firecrest and a disc of some description for the rear. Both clincher. Running gear Shimano... maybe electric - will need more investigation. Aero helmet will remain the old Limar Chrono - one of the best available in Aus - no vents and tests well (at least on my noggin). Hopefully some more choices come through and pass Aus Standards testing, Kask Bambino would be good. Skinsuit will be Assos or maybe one of those Smart Suits (if you can still get them).

Road bike will stay as is until I break it or get bored with it.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Hows the jits down under? I always wonder if schools have become as common down there

Also, i wouldnt assumr you train 1rm regularly; can you share what your more regular weight/rep range is for your core lifts?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

And youve got to be eating like a mule!

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

@Imaking20 - jitz down here is strong in Aus. Some very good schools, some better than others. Still not as common as some other schools of martial arts (like the bloated category of "MMA" which is a crapshoot in terms of quality). I train with the Roots school who have a strong lineage.

I have, in light of increased riding volume, down-shifted lifting volume and weights. As I am just trying to maintain strength I am doing reps of 3.
Currently:- Squat 105kgs, DL 125kgs, Press 57.5kgs

These are "Easy" as I find if I get too heavy and I am wrecked for any meaningful efforts on the bike. I am also wrecked for BJJ but this not a bad thing as I had a tendency to "muscle" my way through techniques. I will slowly try to push these up as I get more accustomed to being back on the bike.

And yes, part of my reason to resume bike training was that with my BJJ conditioning I was dropping a lot of weight, despite eating like a king. I had planned to stay in the 80kgs for comps but that just isn't happening and I still have a way to go with conditioning so I figured if I am going to be sub-80 kilos and very lean and very conditioned I may as well ride again. At my last "peak" for riding I was about 77kgs (about 3 years ago).

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Some of this sounds very familiar :)

My disinterest with the sport swelled right along with the mainstream popularity. I started JJ in Las Vegas, NV with Ricardo Calvacante (Carlson Gracie Team) and eventually went on to train with Sergio Penha. A hard act to follow.
The city is now booming with people rushing into "MMA" gyms as an excuse to wear a Tapout shirt and very few who have any interest in the culture (and rewards) of any specific discipline. Not for me.

If you're still muscling things I presume you're still wearing a white belt? Perhaps a blue? Do you get much time on the mat with a brown or black? It will do wonders for your patience and fluidity - especially if they're not particularly athletic.

At any rate, those weights are still quite respectable - especially if you've still got anything on the bike! My regular weights in the gym have decreased quite a lot since I've been cycling - which on one hand is hard for the go but on the other hand is nice on the lower back and knees.

Are you not dropping 3-6kgs for a weigh-in? :P

Sorry for mucking up your thread. I'll definitely keep an eye on your progress. Considering some similarities I'm eager to see if I can draw anything from your methods.

Aussiebullet

by Aussiebullet

Hi Tapeworm great to see you back competing in the greatest sport in the world 8)
Nationals (masters 2) is one of my main goals for this year as well as 2014, but just the Crit and RR,
will you be doing all 3 events or just the TT?
Tell me do you or did you ever wear your skinsuit in Crits or short RR's? only reason I ask is I have seen Alex Simmons wear them in RR's.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'll be in for Masters 1 gents (assuming no NRS Tour on at the same time).

Bad news though is Shane Miller 'Mastered up' and will be MMAS2 this year too.

Enjoy that one :lol:

claus

by claus

Tapeworm wrote:20min power: 228 watts (2.79 w/kg)

What is your goal for the 20 minute power?

chipomarc

by chipomarc

I'll be following your log with interest.

One question, when your focusing on Time Trials do you really cut down your climbing mileage?

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

@Imaking20 - Oh still white 100%. I like that in BJJ, there are no "gimmies" in the belt stakes, as if there is you'll get found out ultra quick. Still a full year or more from getting anything close to Blue (though I do give a few of the junior Blues a very hard time ;) ). And the Tapout people... lolololol!

@ Aussiebullet - Probably the TT and RR. The ACT is crit heavy so I will have a few dips and see if I see hate them. If not, all three. As for the skin suit - for any distance <100km you bet. I find them more comfortable, more aero and cooler.

@Tinea_Pedis - Shane in my category? Ha! I'll show... nah. But I could... nah. Ahhhh..... shit. :D

@claus - based on past history I expect to see that 20min power around the 320watts mark. Might be more, might be less, we'll see.

@chipomarc - well despite having the Aussie Alps on my doorstep I don't do *that* much climbing. Initially I will do (for me) a fair bit because, well, climbing mountains is fun. Closer to the event it's all positional and course specific as I can get it.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Week 1:

Annnnd we're off. And Day One my plans were scuttled... and Day Two, and Three and... Well the whole week didn't go to "plan" but that's going to be commonplace with me.

Monday: S&C and 3 x 3 min on the rowing erg. 302 watts, 285watts, 269watts.

Tuesday:1x20min + 50mins easy spin. 215watts for the 20mins.

Wednesday: 2 x 20mins ergo. 211 and 228 watts. Again, stupid hot (cranked the giganta-fan to max and ditched the jersey for the second effort. Thermal stress is a bitch.)

Thursday: S&C and 3 x 3 mins ergo 258, 264, 252watts. (Was nasty hot in the garage despite the giganta-fan) found it hard to put any power out.

Friday: Rest

Sat: Long ride. This nearly killed me. Apart from being the longest ride I have done in 2 years the temp started @ 21 degrees Celsius. In two hours it was peaking around 43 degrees (that's 109.4 Fahrenheit for the luddites). Nearly 3 litres of fluid during the ride and some definitive Z1 riding and I didn't cramp up thankfully. Let's hope those thermal stress adaptations kick in...

Distance: 75.6km
Avg Pwr: 121watts
Elevation: 596m
Time: 3hrs 05mins.

Sun: Rest

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

Good Luck Tapeworm! Very interested in how you get on, its rare that you get to follow a training regime, especially one that is quite relevant to my own goals. 40km TTs or less with view to student TT champs and Amateur national 10/25milers In the UK.
Pretty happy with my winter and hoping for a good year!

Just to clarify I read it as you'll be attempting to regain your past FTP (or surpass it) by race day 2014. So just over a year to regain all the form.

Hope you smash it!