Light 120mm forks? What are the options?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

Hi all,

I am very tempted to try 120mm forks on my Superlight but can't see too many options.

I have Fox FIT 100 RLC's at the moment which I like and 120 versions can be had for £450. This is about the best deal I could expect for Fox I think. Only real problem is that they are reasonably heavy (relatively speaking) and if I were to spend the extra pennies on new forks I would want to drop some weight over the Fox FIT 100 RLC's I currently have.

Does anyone have a real weight for a 120mm Fox FIT RLC's with bolt through?

So my thinking is that if I want something lighter than Fox FIT 120's and reasonably priced then that pretty much only leaves SIDS. It would also seem that only the XX and World cups would drop any real weight over my Fox FIT 100 RLC's when considering the 120mm travel and bolt through (I'd like to stick with 15mm through axle if possible).

How light are 15mm thru axle 120mm SIDS in the various guises and which of the confusing range should I be after?

Magura Durin's (or the new renamed forks) would be lovely but I can't see these particularly cheap anywhere and the 15mm thru axle versions seem hard to come by...

Formula forks look nice but are pricey and I am yet to see proper weights or thorough reviews.

Marzocchi are heavy and I could not handle living with a DT Swiss fork. A lefty would be great in an ideal world but I can't justify the cost of a new wheel build and the out right cost of the properly light Leftys.

So:
Cheap as possible
Lighter than Fox FIT 100 RLC's
15mm Axle
Standard steerer
Not fussed on any lockouts bar or otherwise

Have I pretty much summed it up? Does anyone have any real world weights of various forks with 120mm travel?

Many thanks, DanW

TheRookie

by TheRookie

From Fox the 32 Float CTD are lightest according to the Fox webby, 1.4Kg with 9mm QR, 1.48 with 15mm.

The SID XX WC is quoted at 1366g at 120mm with tapered steerer, so will be a little heavier with a plain 1 1/8th, about the same as the Float CTD at a guess as it tends to add about 100-150g.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

To be honest I am shocked at Fox's quoted weight for the 120mm fork. Seems reasonably light (for Fox) but then there isn't enough of a weight saving over my current forks to really justify the expense and curiosity. Plus the reviews of the new CTD forks seem very mixed.

That said, does anyone have real weights for the new Fox CTD forks in any of the different flavours?

Any real weights for 2012 or 2013 SID's with 120mm travel and 15mm lowers

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

tapered steerer forks are always heavier than non-tapered in my experience.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Interesting as most manufacurers quote tapered as lighter than parallel!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

nifrodne

by nifrodne

go for Formula !
I've tested this one for mountainbike.be and it really is a good fork, about 1450gram, stiff, superb compression....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com