Dura Ace 9000 - ETA late 2012/early 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Grill

by Grill

mann2 wrote:
Grill wrote:Anybody had a chance to try out the new C50 clincher? Waiting on reviews before I decide on it over a Hed Jet...

i got the c50s. very good rims but a bit porky at 1780~1790. reviewed them on my blog.

Good review, thanks. Really just looking at the front for a goto TT wheel. Toss up between these and HED Jets at the moment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

Tinea Pedis wrote:Now, to test a Campag 11 wheel in it. Then the Mavic wheel on my Campag bike :D

This is THE post I have been looking for. If you could get out and put both combinations through some serious 'real world' tests it would be most appreciated.

There's been a great deal of speculation flying around about these combinations but no one has actually made a FULL report.

jano

by jano

Did anyone try the Dura Ace 9000 bottom bracket with older Dura Ace cranksets, like 7900 or 7800?
I guess that they should fine, however it would be great if someone already has first hand experience with this setup.
Thanks in advance.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

The new 9000 bottom bracket is intended to be used with the same 24mm BB spindle as the 7800 and 7900 cranksets have. It is only the bearings and, thus, the outer diameter of the cups that are smaller.

That's why there is an adaptor included by shimano to allow use of existing hollowtech II BB tools.

jano

by jano

BdaGhisallo wrote:The new 9000 bottom bracket is intended to be used with the same 24mm BB spindle as the 7800 and 7900 cranksets have. It is only the bearings and, thus, the outer diameter of the cups that are smaller.

That's why there is an adaptor included by shimano to allow use of existing hollowtech II BB tools.

Thanks for the information.
What I was mostly worried about is the width and if eventual spacers might be needed, if the cups diameter are the only size change then this should fit well, and it will also be fairly light, 70 grams or so from what I have heard.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Has anyone had their hands on the 9070 DI2 shift levers yet? How is the hood shape compared to the 7970? It looks a little smaller in circumference. Is that actually the case, or is it an effect of the different coloring and texturing on the 9070 hoods?

James_London

by James_London

So does that mean the press-fit 7900 BB is compatible with the 9000 crankset?

Foghat

by Foghat

jano wrote:Did anyone try the Dura Ace 9000 bottom bracket with older Dura Ace cranksets, like 7900 or 7800?
I guess that they should fine, however it would be great if someone already has first hand experience with this setup.
Thanks in advance.

Not quite what you're asking, but for reference people may find it useful to know that using a 9000 bottom bracket with a 7800 crankset is an extremely tight fit - it works fine, but just getting the spindle through took a lot of force.

On the other hand, I found a 9000 crankset fitted easliy into a 2009 Hope bottom bracket and works fine.
Freight-train groove-ride: 4'02" to 14'40" LOUD, bass right up and eyes closed!

jano

by jano

Foghat wrote:
jano wrote:Did anyone try the Dura Ace 9000 bottom bracket with older Dura Ace cranksets, like 7900 or 7800?
Thanks in advance.

Not quite what you're asking, but for reference people may find it useful to know that using a 9000 bottom bracket with a 7800 crankset is an extremely tight fit - it works fine, but just getting the spindle through took a lot of force.

That in fact is exactly what I wanted to hear.
Thanks a lot for the info! :thumbup:

Foghat

by Foghat

thisisatest wrote:KMC never got back to me about DA9k compatibility. So I'm taking a wait-and-see approach.

The KMC webpage for the X11SL chain now has an explicit statement of Shimano compatibility again - interestingly, there is an implied compatibility of the MissingLink 11 with Shimano based on the chain's webpage, but the MissingLink 11's own webpage is notably devoid of any statement regarding fitting to Shimano chains or general Shimano compatibility.

Strange that the Shimano references disappeared and have now returned......

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

Foghat wrote:The KMC webpage for the X11SL chain now has an explicit statement of Shimano compatibility again - interestingly, there is an implied compatibility of the MissingLink 11 with Shimano based on the chain's webpage, but the MissingLink 11's own webpage is notably devoid of any statement regarding fitting to Shimano chains or general Shimano compatibility.

Strange that the Shimano references disappeared and have now returned......

Do you have links to the links?

Foghat

by Foghat

skinnywellfed wrote:Do you have links to the links?

X11SL chain

MissingLink 11

Stuartclark1977

by Stuartclark1977

http://www.freeflowbikes.com/Road/Drivetrain

Interesting that a shop in Glasgow seems to be the first to have all the parts of Di2 9070 in stock...now they are selling it at full SRP so £2.8k for fr & rr mech, fr & rr brakes, internal battery & charger, cassette, chain, cables, crank, bb & sti's.

They seem to have 3 of everything you need though...now can I find any spare change down the back of the sofa....

maxxevv

by maxxevv

I doubt you can checkout with the items and get a next day ship-out for them. :roll:

The bigger German websites do not have them but they usually will indicate that its a 20-day or more wait time if they do have them soon. I seriously doubt a less than "well-followed" website actually has them. Especially if you're outside Japan.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

many thanks