Decide my new bike. Tarmac?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seve88

by seve88

Finally decided it's time to move up to a more modern frame than my 2003 Look 585 as I fancy a press fit bottom bracket and tapered head tube.

This bike really took my fancy (geometry is spot on). http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/ ... midcompact
I think it's a great price and I would be getting rid of the wheels and groupset to put my exisiting stuff on. I also think the paint scheme is fantastic. I think the only reason I haven't gone for it is because it isn't their top grade carbon (even though I know realistically it doesn't really matter for a rider like me).

Anyone else ridden one or any alternatives for the same price £1200?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UphillRage

by UphillRage

Go for it. Its a decent bike and beautifull as well!

diesel

by diesel

It's hard to beat the Tarmac. I have had both the s-works roubaix and Tarmac. I like descending a ton more one the roubaix. I now have the G5 from BH and can't believe what a sweet bike it is. Specialized is gonna be the best bang for your buck though!

Svetty

by Svetty

Assuming you are carrying all your stuff over from your 585 I'm not sure that you'll notice £1200's worth of an improvement over what you currently have.

Why not go for a Cervelo R5 or an Evo - eg a frame that IS a definite advance. If you sell the 585 you should be able to afford a decent frame ;)

deluxerider

by deluxerider

Tarmac is as good as an R5 or Evo. S-Works Tarmac is as good as any frame out there.

seve88

by seve88

Svetty wrote:Assuming you are carrying all your stuff over from your 585 I'm not sure that you'll notice £1200's worth of an improvement over what you currently have.

Why not go for a Cervelo R5 or an Evo - eg a frame that IS a definite advance. If you sell the 585 you should be able to afford a decent frame ;)

I did ride a Canyon AL with a tapered head tube and thought it felt stiffer at the front than my 585 so I want to try that in carbon and a BB30. It's not £1200 of improvemnt as I'll sell the groupset and wheels so relaistically I'm looking at a £850 frame and fork upgrade so cannot afford an R5 etc.

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Purely on looks and features I'd go for something more unique like BH G6. If this bike rides as good as it looks it would be the thing to have.
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

js

by js

Full disclosure - I work for La Fuga - but if you fancy a Tarmac, and are going to be reselling some parts to keep cost reasonable anyway, I thought you might be interested in one of the Tarmac Expert bikes we're selling.

http://lafuga.cc/story/bike-sales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have been fantastic bikes for us all season... and the only difference between the 10R carbon on these Pro frames versus the 11R carbon S-Works frames is about 75g worth of weight. The overall stiffness and ride quality are near-equal between the two models, it's just that the S-Works wins in stiffness-to-weight.

In terms of ride-quality, there are racier frames out there, but the Specialized is as comfortable a bike as I've ridden, while still being more then enough for any of the riding or racing that I've subjected it to.