My SUPERSIX project THAT BLEW my budget (update 6-10-15)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

just took my first ride with all my new gear. 25 mile ride in 28 deg (F) and the bike felt awesome.

mattiTWOROADS

by mattiTWOROADS

great looking ride!

... for brakes, if you're still looking, give the far / near brakes from fairwheel a look. I put them on my parlee until I could find the trp's I wanted for a reasonable (read, "cheapass") price and haven't looked back. I was on a budget too and I seriously think these were one of the best $ to weight / performance buys I made.

(I know... "parlee" and "budget" don't exactly mix, but with the help of some friends in the industry, some smart shopping, and a bit of an insurance settlement from the accident that took the previous ride I was able to do it)

They look much better in the flesh, the weight is good, stop well, and their price is great!
TWO ROADS cycling clothiers || tworoadscycling.com
--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TWO-ROAD ... 3235790671

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

mattiTWOROADS wrote:great looking ride!

... for brakes, if you're still looking, give the far / near brakes from fairwheel a look. I put them on my parlee until I could find the trp's I wanted for a reasonable (read, "cheapass") price and haven't looked back. I was on a budget too and I seriously think these were one of the best $ to weight / performance buys I made.

(I know... "parlee" and "budget" don't exactly mix, but with the help of some friends in the industry, some smart shopping, and a bit of an insurance settlement from the accident that took the previous ride I was able to do it)

They look much better in the flesh, the weight is good, stop well, and their price is great!

Thanks! Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly here. Are you saying the far near has good weight, stop well and priced great or are you speaking of the current set of trp's you now have?

Which trp model did you get? Looks like the 920 is a good set but less than 10g lighter than DA which isn't much of a savings.

morrison

by morrison

A supernice build. Elegant. Congrats.

mattiTWOROADS

by mattiTWOROADS

I was talking about the far/near brakes.

They are a seriously good value in my opinion. I never did get the trp's (I was looking at the 970's) as I feel like the far/near brakes are more than fine and the parlee is at around 12 lbs with the 303's. I don't need to drop any more weight... or... let me rephrase that... . If I do decide to drop weight, it will knowingly cost a pretty penny and be solely for sh!ts and giggles.

cheers mate
TWO ROADS cycling clothiers || tworoadscycling.com
--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TWO-ROAD ... 3235790671

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

I have been researching which brakes to get the last couple weeks and I came to find out that reviews were all over the place. you could ask 20 people and 10 would rave about them and the other 10 would never recommend them to their worst enemy. I found out that planet x US headquarters is based in Portland Oregon which is about 15 miles from me. I could ask people all day long but being able to feel them for myself would be what would sell me on them. I stopped on today and the were very friendly and helpful. I told them my concerns and what I have heard from fellow forum members. They said its all about setting them up correctly. They had a couple full built bikes that I rode around in their warehouse and the brakes felt great. They were equipped with green swiss stop pads. I told her (their tech) that I was concerned about installing them myself and incorrectly which would make me dissatisfied in their product. Which she replied that she could install them for me for free. She showed me the black set which looked good but I didn't really the red part that comes on them. She grabbed a gold set that had a the black piece I wanted and swapped them for me. So now I have an all black set. I asked if they came with the swiss stop pads and she said no because they didn't have anymore. I guess some were being shipped with Swiss stops but now they just use their stock pad. I pondered as if I was disappointed and she asked me to hold on. She looked in the bag that has the gold brakes and to my luck they had the swiss pads. She swapped them and said...here ya go. I went home to get my bike and when I brought it back they took it back and went to town on it. She was very detailed in setting them up and showed me how to adjust them if I needed to. I was really concerned about them not having a quick release but in reality it takes just as little time to release it as it would with a quick release. I got the bike home and rode around the block a couple times and the brakes felt just like my ultegra brakes.

I have my new tires and tubes on order and cut off about 4 inches from my seatpost since weighing it the first time. Cant weight to get everything on and back on the scales!

SDP

by SDP

looks great...

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Look565w

by Look565w

I really like your bike built & great looking brake-set too!

I always love the process of an evolving bike............... :D

Just out of interest of these Planet X brakes (which I can see its the same as the ZG designs) how do you go about opening the brakes up for removing the wheels when you're running Shimano? - where the brake release mechanism is on the brakes. As oppose to Campagnolo which is at the shifters.

Cheers

1spd

by 1spd

Dang, I was all set of a set of C7's myself but now I'm thinking I like the Planet X! Gotta go look at them a little more. Does anyone have an accurate weight on them? Running Records now so I'm sure I'll drop some weight here. Cost?
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

1spd

by 1spd

man, they are on sale right now for $109. Not a bad deal at all. Their claimed weight (205g) is about 75g less than my Records. Not bad at all. I will say that I don't like that little red piece. Unfortunately I am on the other side of the country and I doubt I could get them to swap it out for me. Guess I would have to call and see if I could get someone to do that or me or if that part could be purchased separately or something.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

1spd wrote:Dang, I was all set of a set of C7's myself but now I'm thinking I like the Planet X! Gotta go look at them a little more. Does anyone have an accurate weight on them? Running Records now so I'm sure I'll drop some weight here. Cost?

They weighed them in front of me and they came in at 193g. Didn't bring my phone in or else I would have snapped a picture. I was looking at C7's also but they are double + the price. Both sets I had concerns on performance or how they would lack. Being able to feel them in person on a set that was properly dialed in sold me on the planet x set.

@look565-when I get home this afternoon, I will take some photos of how to release the caliper. A lot of people made it sound like some huge ordeal but its really simple.

SDP

by SDP

mine were 195gm..

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Here are a couple pictures that will hopefully help give you an idea how to use the planet X quick release

There is a Cam arm that lifts. The cable has a "stopper" attached to it that fits under the cam arm.

Pull up on the cam arm and push down on the "stopper"

Look565w

by Look565w

Thank you so much Bianchi10 for the trouble you gone to to demonstrate that for me, very much appreciated!
:thumbup:

Now I think I'll order myself a pair too for my new bike that should be coming in March! :beerchug:

Regards & all the best on/off the bike

Cheers

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Great! glad I could help :welcome:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com