Headset earphone tape used by PRO teams

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

Im looking to hold my headphones in my ear, plus tape them in a way that it covers the front area where all the noise is being created.
Can some one chaim in on what tape would be best to use on the ear, please advice

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Privateer

by Privateer

Sorry for the thread hijack, but: does anyone know what radios the pros use?

For communication with a support car in ultra distance races I've tried using Motorola two-ways with a push-to-talk mic and ear-bud speaker. Unfortunately the quality is so poor as to make it virtually useless.

The wind noise made it very difficult to hear the crew and rendered the mic completely useless, while the reception was pretty patchy at any distance greater than about 500m.

How have pro teams addressed these issues?

Steve P

by Steve P

Alinco I beleive have been used

NoInterVention

by NoInterVention

digitalnorbs wrote:Im looking to hold my headphones in my ear, plus tape them in a way that it covers the front area where all the noise is being created.
Can some one chaim in on what tape would be best to use on the ear, please advice

Not sure what pro riders use, but I see refs for Rugby, Soccer, etc. using Leuko tape to cover their earpieces. That stuff is more likely to pull your ear off than fall off from sweat, and can be pricey. I just use regular ol' white athletic tape but I have access to it in bulk. Not sure what the price would be per roll. Hope that helps

Cheers

by 11.4

Depends on the rider. Leukotape works well for anyone and is impervious to perspiration or rain. A quarter inch strip is all that's needed, wrapped around the earpiece and the end taped around the ear. It's also what the US Secret Service use when they need to keep their earpieces in.

Micropore tapes work for some riders, and is less irritating, but it takes more of them to stick. Since Leukotape is hypoallergenic anyway, I generally keep Leukotape around for anyone except those who are bothered by it. Leukotape is also excellent for taping sore achilles tendons, injured fingers, sprained wrists, etc.

I say Micropore tapes plural because there are several versions for various specialty applications. The ones you see in the local drug store are just consumer versions. There are better versions if you go to one of the emergency medical supply websites. Still, I'd do Leukotape first.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com