Sore testicles after every ride?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

critracer26

by critracer26

Yes, the castelli small is too big in the legs and they ride up a lot causing more friction im assuming as they bunch.

I have really skinny legs...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nephrops

by nephrops

You could try using Aqueous Cream (generic term, there are lots of companies that sell it), it's available in most pharmacies. I think it's just an emulsion of water a paraffin wax and completely unscented. It's also a fraction of the cost of branded chamois creams.

boots2000

by boots2000

Try to shower as soon as you get off the bike and wash down there with an antibacterial soap like phisohex or similar (it is the stuff they wash with at hospitals).

carbon2329

by carbon2329

critracer26 wrote:i did switch to a hypoallergenic detergent with not much of a change.

the vaseline didnt do the job and it stained other clothes in the wash?

I don't mean to state the obvious, but did you throughly wash all your shorts (perhaps 2-3 times) to get them as free as possible form previous chamois cream and previous detergent.

I'm sure you did, but I thought I would ask.

If not, I would:

-Wash everything 2-3 times in hypoallergenic detergent (on the "2nd rinse" option, if your machine has that option; so it rinses twice)
-Use Vasaline (nott too much) (it's about as hypoallergenic & detergent free as possible) (Wash only your shorts together, to avoid issues with other clothing)
Then:
----give it a try after you are healed

I use Vasiline because of a reccomendation from a current Pro team Dr. who said to use it becasue, "it dosen't have all the perfumes and dyes etc...".

Best of luck.

P.S. The only problem is:
If it is an actual allergy to the creams or detergent and if it won't come out well in the wash, you may never get a solution, as long as you use you current shorts.

But then you have to buy all new shorts, and it is unknown if that is the actual problem/solution, even though it could be.
That is the difficulty in this type of diagnosis....you know... :noidea:

metal

by metal

Have you tried riding without chamois cream?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

I recommend 2nd rinse on bike clothes no matter what. As a side note, any waterproof gear will keep its repellency much longer with that procedure.
Lots of people prefer to ride without cream...

boots2000

by boots2000

I was thinking about this and remembered that I once had a similar issue. It was a fungus. Doc gave me a prescription ointment that cured it quickly.

aerozy

by aerozy

Like everyone has mentioned the fragrances may be quite stuck to the bibs. I had to throw my old ones away. For the record I washed them countless times with no luck.

Best thing is to just buy new bibs and start from scratch.

Also the "emulsion of water a paraffin wax " use as a chamois is a great tip. I use this stuff and never, never get allergy reactions with it. Best of all Ive stopped getting saddle sores completely as well even in +5hour rides. Funny thing is that there is no anti-bacterial in it... like most chamois brands like to publicise so vehemently. Plus it costs 2£ in your local boots pharmacy.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

critracer26

by critracer26

I cant seem to find the "emulsion of water a paraffin wax " in my local drugstore. does anyone have any name brands in the US that make it?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

It sounds a lot like Squirt chain lube.

swinter

by swinter

my 2 cents: try woolite. do a double rinse. skip the chamois cream altogether -- if the shorts fit right you shouldn't need it. pick up some lotrimin and apply to affected areas after post-ride shower (in case it is fungal).

good luck.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

critracer26 wrote:I cant seem to find the "emulsion of water a paraffin wax " in my local drugstore. does anyone have any name brands in the US that make it?

... Basically, it's a lotion.
The term came from a prior post in this thread:

nephrops wrote:You could try using Aqueous Cream (generic term, there are lots of companies that sell it), it's available in most pharmacies. I think it's just an emulsion of water a paraffin wax and completely unscented. It's also a fraction of the cost of branded chamois creams.

and here's a Google Shopping link to get you started, friend.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Aqueous ... m&tbm=shop
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

critracer26

by critracer26

i went out to central park for a few laps this morning and noticed that my tights are way too loose. when i get out of the saddle to pedal i can feel the chamois moving around loosely. These are castelli thermal tights in small that have been worn less than 4 times and have only been hand washed. i'm beginning to think this is a lot of the problem as the chamois is moving too much and causing friction all over.

swinter

by swinter

that would do it
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

Aquaphor

critracer26 wrote:I cant seem to find the "emulsion of water a paraffin wax " in my local drugstore. does anyone have any name brands in the US that make it?