Cannondale Evo Headset and Fork question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

apLe

by apLe

Hi guys,

I've just bought a Cannondale Evo frameset, w/out fork and headset. I want to keep it and build a second road bike during this year, but I need some advice. As the frame didn't come with fork nor headset and I want to keep this build rather cheap (I bought the frame for a really good price), I'm looking for a fork/headset solution. I found a SuperSix 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 fork. Will it fit? If yes, what headset do I need? Is there any aftermarket solution for an original Cannondale headset? If it doesn't fit, can I pair this frame with normal 1 1/8" fork? Would I be able to find headset to fit it? It may sound like simple questions, but I can get this SuperSix fork for about 125Euro, so it's a bargain I think. I know the original fork and headset is 1 1/4" diameter (lower bearing). I can't find the dimensions of the head tube so I could check whether 1 1/2" lower headset would fit. I hope you get what I mean and I appreciate any help.

Edit: in other words, if I don't have or don't want to buy expensive tapered fork, is there a solution to fit 1 1/8" fork into Evo frame?

Cheers,

Marcin
18' R5 coming soon...

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

You will need this headset there is no other way around it and its the price a shop would charge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cannondale-Supe ... 4d026f10f5

And you will need this fork since there is no other compatible with the lower bearing size being larger then 1 1/8". These forks are from dealers that can't sell them to non cannondale people because of that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANNONDALE-CAAD ... 416c7aafc1

:thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

apLe

by apLe

Thanks! What about other 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 forks like 3T Rigida for example? If caad 10 forks work with Evo then it's much easier to find one. Evo forks are pretty rare.

As for the headset, I found here on WW, that FSA Orbit 33 would fit. It's half the price of the original headset. Do you think it'll work together? Or in other words, do I really need ONLY Cannondale Evo headset or any tapered 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 headset would work (like FSA, Giant, BBB or Cane Creek).
18' R5 coming soon...

TimmS

by TimmS

Any 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 fork will work.
Same for the headset as long as it is an integrated headset.
...but the EVO headset has the nice compression plug!

jano

by jano

TimmS wrote:Any 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 fork will work.
Same for the headset as long as it is an integrated headset.

^^ what he said.

apLe

by apLe

Thanks guys! :beerchug:
18' R5 coming soon...

timzcat

by timzcat

Keep in mind the original fork was probably 45mm rake. A lot of forks out there are 43mm so sticking with that Cannondale fork above is your best bet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com