Nokon, Yokozuna, Jagwire, etc....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Unbrokenchain

by Unbrokenchain

......Are they really worth it compared to standard campy or shimano.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Nope. Each has its positives and negatives. Fact is that Campy and Shimano cable kits are very, very good. They never have a fitment issue that requires a long step-down ferrule, or a different type of housing at the drop bar bend, they don't creak over time... You get my drift.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

thisisatest wrote:Nope. Each has its positives and negatives. Fact is that Campy and Shimano cable kits are very, very good. They never have a fitment issue that requires a long step-down ferrule, or a different type of housing at the drop bar bend, they don't creak over time... You get my drift.

The only advantage of aftermarket "segmented" cables is weight savings over stock Campy or Shimano cables.

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

Yokozuna makes shimano cables so..... Yeah

GASer

by GASer

What about Gore Ride On Professional? It seems my Campag SR shifting improved significantly in terms of precision and mean time between tuning, compared to std Campag cables and housings.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by GASer on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Thought the compression less ones were supposed to offer a more direct shift or brake pull compared to more standard cables as there is no loss in the system so to speak.

kman

by kman

I can't notice much difference either way. I was using standard campag cables and switched to i-links for brakes and mini i-links for gears.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

Vallron

by Vallron

Never had any problems with Jagwire.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I would avoid Gore. IME, the cables tend to gunk up quickly.

Lately I have been using Jagwire Racer Kits. They work well and the price is good. But most importantly, they are much easier to set up than Yokozuna, which also work very well.

The other nice thing about Jagwire is that you can get them in different colors, if that is important to you. My wife like the stainless steel colored cables on her bike.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I just replaced the Gore cables that came with my 2012 Red kit. They gunked up after about 4-5 months of normal use. The FD was getting stuck on the big ring. I took the cable out and it was a mess.

Running Yokozuna reaction cables now and they are great but only been on 2 rides with them. Brake and shift is strong and crisp.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aaric

by aaric

Advantages/tradeoffs as always:

Weight: lighter is better, but usually means more finicky
Compressionless: Seems better to me, might only be the placebo effect
Curve radius: Some cables are better than other handling bends: the yokozuna's for instance caused my rear brake to want to shift to the side - iLinks don't at all. Depends on your particular setup if this is worth it.
sealed: for me, sealed/lined systems seem to last longer, and remain smoother longer, but not by more than about 10%

Cost: you can spend a ton on cables that are only slightly better, or even worse.

Remember though, cables are a consumable. They wear out over time, and degrade performance. A lot of people replace old worn cables with new ones of a different type, and proceed to sing the praises of the new cables...when they likely would have seen similar improvements with just putting a set of new no-name cables on.