Enve 45 vs Smart 3.4's?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

blantonator

by blantonator

With used Enve 45 wheelset approaching a $1000 on forums and ebay, how much better is the newer shape of the Smart 3.4's.

refthimos

by refthimos

A lot. The market is correct in this instance.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Not even comparable.

Believe the hype.

LouisN

by LouisN

Really ?

So we have to ditch our wheels quickly before they loose all value and get some wide rims ?

Where's those sarcastic emoticons hidden ?...

Louis :)

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

The ride quality of the 3.4 is in a different league than the 45. They are far more stable in crosswinds, and they braking is grabbier and more consistent on the descents. Even in their clincher version, they are absolutely exceptional.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Louis, mate that just makes you look silly.

No one said cables were second rate when Di2 came online. Fact is though, it offers a lot of advantages over cable actuated shifting.

Same theory with wide rims, there are a lot of advantages over the older V shapes. There will be some that prefer the older style and they can still build a nice wheel *cough* Lightweight *cough*

Fact remains though there are a lot of reasons to choose the newer SES style design, they really are that good.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I have set of alchmey 6.7s and a pair of extralite 45s
My smart wheels are really bloody good.. But they ain't 990g unlike my 45s which are a lot lighter and snapper.

I use my 6.7s more but the 45s are the wheel of choice if there is any kinda hill or a sprint involved
3.4s are great and I'd totally own em but you can't build a sub kilo wheelset with em :mrgreen:

LouisN

by LouisN

I just though it needed more explanation than the first two replies.

Maybe I used a bad "metaphore"...

Now I get a better picture.

Louis :)

ergott

by ergott

sugarkane wrote:
I use my 6.7s more but the 45s are the wheel of choice if there is any kinda hill or a sprint involved

Between your two wheelsets, the 6.7s are much better for a sprint. You want a stiffer wheelset that's more aerodynamic for sprinting. The extra weight is not an issue at sprinting speeds compared to the aerodynamic properties of those wheels if by sprinting you mean sticking your nose out in the wind and winning.

ProudDaddy

by ProudDaddy

I think this depends on the course and finish. Flat course and finish I definitely prefer to be on my 303s, uphill sprint or even a course with big hill and flat finish I use my sub kilo 45s. I would guess the difference between 6.7s and kilo wheels is even more pronounced when hills are involved. But I've never rode the 6.7s so tifwiw.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

expect my 45s are stiffer than my 6.7s. the 45s had the tensions pushed a bit over normal and are noticeable stiffer and much snapper in acceleration. i race my 6.7s most of the time but if the crit is going to be very surging, lots of sprinting outa corners the 45s keep me in the game for longer

they do brake way better though. i like both wheelsets a lot. when you use one you haven't been using for a while they both make you smile about how good they are

elviento

by elviento

Can't help thinking (as un-weenie as it is) maybe the UCI 6.8 rule is allowing a lot of aerodynamics techonology to develop. Otherwise, all manufacturers would be trying hard to knock off 30 grams here and there.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

elviento wrote:Can't help thinking (as un-weenie as it is) maybe the UCI 6.8 rule is allowing a lot of aerodynamics techonology to develop. Otherwise, all manufacturers would be trying hard to knock off 30 grams here and there.

I am not so certain. Perhaps for very mountainous stages they would, but with the now widespread knowledge of aero's predominant influence on cycling speed, I think this push would still be on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com