Bontrager Aeolus 3 d3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

Yay! So I got my carbon tubulars. The above named wheel and I got Vittoria corsa slick 23-28.

What do you think of these wheels? I haven't seem but one post about them in the archives and that was when they were coming out. It seems about Hal of the post have a hipster like fixie obsession but instead of a fixie it's Enve's.

Also why do the tires say 23-28"? What does that mean? Depending on how hard I inflate them they expand to be wider? The runs are a pretty wide 27".

The pressure says 115-200? Criminelly can I really inflate them to 200 psi if I want? I don't think my floor pump goes past 140 or 160? Where do you get a pump like that? And where do you like to set them? Does the fact that they are tubulars change the recommended pressure? I'm sure it does. It has to be at least 115?

Why is that? Why do tubulars have to be at least 115 and clinchers can't be MORE than that?

Lastly, the set har a good depth at 35" and weight at 1150 but I haven't weighed the skewers yet but they seem rediculously heavy? Has anyone seem the skewers they cOme with? I think they are supposed to be titanium but they are a weird lily black colour... So I'm not sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Is this another joke post like your tire lube one, or are these serious questions?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Northoceanbeach wrote:Also why do the tires say 23-28"? What does that mean? Depending on how hard I inflate them they expand to be wider? The runs are a pretty wide 27".
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that this is a serious question.

23mm is the width. For tubulars, standard diameter 700 c tires are sometimes listed as being 28", although I don't know why. So these are just standard 23mm width tubular tires.

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

Tire lube........ Might want to lube those wheels too " aero benefit "

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

This is serious,

Well I got two tubes of conti glue and I'm going to work on that now.

I'm just surprised that I haven't heard much talk about these wheels. Big name brand, maybe just haven't made a name for themselves in wheels like zipp has, but then zipp is focused on wheels where bontrager makes a bit of everything

tommasini

by tommasini

Northoceanbeach wrote:Yay! So I got my carbon tubulars. The above named wheel and I got Vittoria corsa slick 23-28.

What do you think of these wheels? I haven't seem but one post about them in the archives and that was when they were coming out. It seems about Hal of the post have a hipster like fixie obsession but instead of a fixie it's Enve's.

Also why do the tires say 23-28"? What does that mean? Depending on how hard I inflate them they expand to be wider? The runs are a pretty wide 27".

The pressure says 115-200? Criminelly can I really inflate them to 200 psi if I want? I don't think my floor pump goes past 140 or 160? Where do you get a pump like that? And where do you like to set them? Does the fact that they are tubulars change the recommended pressure? I'm sure it does. It has to be at least 115?

Why is that? Why do tubulars have to be at least 115 and clinchers can't be MORE than that?

Lastly, the set har a good depth at 35" and weight at 1150 but I haven't weighed the skewers yet but they seem rediculously heavy? Has anyone seem the skewers they cOme with? I think they are supposed to be titanium but they are a weird lily black colour... So I'm not sure.

No offense, but as a newbee your level of questions might get more serious help at RBR - but still welcome here anytime.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forum.php"

Oh - and you won't want to use Conti cement with vittoria tubbies....as a general rule of thumb, only use the same brand of tubbie cement as the tubbie you are gluing.......due to the type of adhesive holding the basetape to the tire casing (thus the solvents involved).
Last edited by tommasini on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

I use vittoria mastik or conti glue. Just dont ever ever ever! Use tubasti!!!!!! Worst glue ever!!

Geoff

by Geoff

We have a bit of a thread on gluing tubulars, which would be a good place to start before you get to work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

Yeah I've been reading that thread, it's amazing, that's why I've put for a couPle day my glueing.

So a now go on the tubes of yellow conti cement?