Carbon Stealth Groupset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lo5707

by lo5707

EightFiveTwo wrote:you stated that you are new to the WW experience but IMO, you are doing great. Most importantly, you dont sound arrogant like some others. The way you write is straight to the point and easy to understand. Your attitude is all about "fun and game", which makes idiots like me really enjoy reading/seeing your posts.

Thanks so much for your comments, it is nice to know people like my work, however minuscule in comparison to some of the big name tuners on here (Berk, weeracerweenie, wally318, to name a small few i have read recently). I have always tried to source light parts but i am new to the physical tuning side of life (buying a SR RD and on the same day attack it with razors and sandpaper was completely alien to me and my heart was in my mouth for the first few components). I think the more you read of others who really stretch the boundaries (weeracerweenie is a favourite of mine) it makes starting off with the smaller things far easier and has given me the confidence to do more than i would have otherwise - So thanks to those guys.

EightFiveTwo wrote:Just a thought--you mentioned the frame you getting is matte black. What about getting a white (or any other colors) and sand it down...you will then have a matte white frame. It would be cool to see a matte orange, matte red, matte green...I can imagine keeping a matte colored frame clean would be difficult..but it would look cool with the matte-black parts that you just finished building. Again, thank you for your post, I really enjoyed it.

The Chinese frame i am getting is a MC053 Scott Foil copy. It is in gloss clear coat plain 3k carbon weave, so i will sand the whole thing to a matte finish. Others have suggested a white frame, but i really like your idea of sanding the clear coat to make a white matte frame (I think you are right about trying to keep that one clean! - lots of aerospace 303 me thinks!) I will certainly give it some thought and do a couple of photoshop mock-ups when this one is built.

lo5707

by lo5707

1spd wrote:
lo5707 wrote:@1spd - good luck with that FD let's get that bad boy down under 80g

It will be under 80 as I'm going to get a SR one! (nothing like doing some tuning with money!) The version that I am working with is just too damn heavy to start with but I used it to get an idea of what I would be up against. In this particular case, all the pins appear to be pressed in so even if I get them out, I may not be able to get them back in and have them stay in so the idea of making a ti spring and what not is sort of out the window. I may however give that a shot with the SR when I get it but will put a post up on that for some advice when the time comes.

@1spd - have you seen peter43z tuning of his Record FD near the bottom of page 2 of this thread? 42g down from 72g - With your newly acquired FD tuning & dremmeling skills this should be pretty easy for you to replicate? - I think i am going to give this a go too:

(viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110974&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

1spd wrote:wrcompiti-good job on the bars/crank. They came out pretty nice. I really think I should have just gone all the way with my bars but I guess I'm a little impatient. Hell, I have now been thinking about taking them off and sending them out to get ceramic coated in matte black. I am thinking about doing this to my stem, bars, seat post, crank and perhaps even my saddle. I had my XTR crank done in a ceramic finish and it is lighter than clear coat and protects much better. Not that I am worried about protecting anything but more about matching...(can't believe I just said that). Never mind, the idea sounds cool but that is money that could go towards my SR parts! Gotta stay focused!

@1spd: thank you for the compliment, stealthy bike rocks! :beerchug:
Regarding the ceramic finish, have you done it before? I've once considered having my alu rims ceramic coated, preferably by professionals. I googled some local companies that can do ceramic coating by plasma sputtering, but had a feeling this can't be cheap. I then came across this interesting article: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=74866, the epoxy method seemed viable, I just had to devise a better way to spread the epoxy evenly on brake tracks. But since I've planned to build a carbon wheelset, the "homebrew ceramic coating" project is stalled for now. Maybe you'd like to give it a try? An alternative way that costs less money and labor may be to spray the parts with matte paint, how do you think?

cyclistcong

by cyclistcong

lo5707 wrote:Artray,

Finally got that Stealthy J&L M15 Hollow Ti Crank Bolt after 6 weeks of waiting - slightly heavier than the stated 4.5g at 5.8g (Original was 16g :shock: )........It pushed my now complete crankset slightly over the 450g mark :( Now how to shave the final 3g off? :? I could drill the CF chainrings :o Of maybe i will just leave it as is - dropped 84g in total (excluding bb)

is it me or is that picture of the crank bolts look damn weird. it look as though the bolts had been superimposed into the picture.

that aside, cant wait to see the final build!

super work!

totoboa

by totoboa

I had to scrape my levers rather than chip/cut at them with the blade because as I found out the cheap @$$ Centaur lever blades are wrapped aluminum w/ a very think/single layer of carbon! What BS!

I am not familiar with Centaur. All I can say about this is wow, woa. "Machete don't text"

eightfivetwo -
you stated that you are new to the WW experience but IMO, you are doing great. Most importantly, you dont sound arrogant like some others. The way you write is straight to the point and easy to understand. Your attitude is all about "fun and game", which makes idiots like me really enjoy reading/seeing your posts.

And third attah boy to that :mrgreen:

1spd

by 1spd

cyclistcong wrote:
lo5707 wrote:Artray,

Finally got that Stealthy J&L M15 Hollow Ti Crank Bolt after 6 weeks of waiting - slightly heavier than the stated 4.5g at 5.8g (Original was 16g :shock: )........It pushed my now complete crankset slightly over the 450g mark :( Now how to shave the final 3g off? :? I could drill the CF chainrings :o Of maybe i will just leave it as is - dropped 84g in total (excluding bb)

is it me or is that picture of the crank bolts look damn weird. it look as though the bolts had been superimposed into the picture.

super work!

The bolts are just that light and kept floating off the scale! :mrgreen:
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

artray

by artray

lo5707 , the crank looks awesome. :thumbup: Still waiting for mine . I spoke to Tony at my LBS and it should be fine to just run the BB without the long thing [ technical term :lol: ] . Im going to get me a record front as well . Great stuff as always . I love this thread . :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

lo5707

by lo5707

cyclistcong wrote:is it me or is that picture of the crank bolts look damn weird. it look as though the bolts had been superimposed into the picture.

super work!

@cyclistcong - You are so funny :oops: , the weighing surface of the scales is mirrored (top one the real bolt, bottom one is its reflection). Laughed so hard when i read that! :lol:

lo5707

by lo5707

artray wrote:lo5707 , the crank looks awesome. :thumbup: Still waiting for mine . I spoke to Tony at my LBS and it should be fine to just run the BB without the long thing [ technical term :lol: ] . Im going to get me a record front as well . Great stuff as always . I love this thread . :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

By 'long thing', i presume you mean that additional (smaller diameter) alloy spindle sleeve. I have always run mine without it just fine. It is there to set the exact distance required for the BB cups and prevents the larger (Proper) BB sleeve pushing against the cartridge bearing and seizing it (i think). You have probably read about the 1mm 'working gap' with the Helion crankset - well i think this smaller sleeve sets that space so you cant screw one side all the way in (meant to be drive side i think).......If you get what i mean?

But like i said - I have always run mine without it just fine.

artray

by artray

The sleeve :oops: is what I should have said . Your advice and info is always most welcome .
I will let you know when my crank bolt arrives.
:beerchug:

MDH

by MDH

Any updates on this project?
What's the longevity of the carbon rings vs aluminium?

jedijeck

by jedijeck

Love to see pics of the completed bike!
Dedacciai Scuro RS - For Sale (frame & fork)
Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune Columbus TSX
Merlin Extralight
Santa Cruz Tazmon

MDH

by MDH

Me too.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Maybe this guy had all the parts stolen before he could fit them to a frame?

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Any updates on this build? Would love to see the complete bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com